Thread: another way to get $3/month plan?

Feedback Score

another way to get $3/month plan?

I've been interested in getting a TMo $3/month plan for occasional use for a number I would port in. I understand that UltraMobile now handles new signups to this plan, but requires an in-store visit to "select T-Mobile locations."

However, in reading the fine print on TMo pre-paid plans, it states:

"If balance is insufficient to renew all lines on your account for 120 days, all lines will be suspended for 30 days. If you have an account balance, all lines will convert to Pay As You Go for 30 day increments with $3/mo. for 30 voice min./SMS messages."

This suggests that I could sign up for a plan, then ensure that my balance is insufficient to renew the plan, but large enough to convert to the $3/month plan.

Does anybody have any idea if this is a feasible method of obtaining a $3/month plan? And would this plan be with TMo instead of Ultra?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-150
    Feedback Score
    It might be worth a try…I'm considering trying this with the eSIM option to run a second voice phone line (not wanting to go the VoIP route for that).

I'd assume it would stay with T-Mobile—booting you over to Ultra would cause some messiness with account numbers, SIM card ICCIDs, and if the line was on eSIM.
    Last edited by ecs0013; 05-11-2020 at 03:21 PM.

Device(s)
    Motorola Moto G7, Iphone 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Speakout, Public Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I talked to them about an old account that where I added funds and convinced them to change it back to $3 a month but they did not do it willingly and they said it was a huge exception and favour due to 10 or 15 year history with the account. Supposed to go to ultramobile.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-150
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dennism3 View Post
    I talked to them about an old account that where I added funds and convinced them to change it back to $3 a month but they did not do it willingly and they said it was a huge exception and favour due to 10 or 15 year history with the account. Supposed to go to ultramobile.
    Yeah, they seem to be against changing anyone to the plan manually. Nonetheless, because I apparently hang out here, get bored, and decided to take a $50ish gamble, I'm trying it and will report back. Ultimately, I've been wanting a cheap, second number for a few unimportant SMS verifications or maybe to use for services that use a phone number for an identifier. I had been using a Truphone SIM for that, but it's not always on and with me, which defeats the purpose. My other gripe is that T-Mobile offers eSIM for prepaid, but you get one of 3 choices to start.

I had been running the 2GB Mobile Internet plan as a physical SIM with AT&T Prepaid as my eSIM last fall, but had family on Cricket and it just made sense to move my line back with them (4/$100 made my line "$10" versus $40 on AT&T Prepaid). Since Cricket doesn't offer eSIM, I was hoping I could flip-flop T-Mobile to eSIM. Unlike T-Mobile postpaid and AT&T Prepaid, I learned that you cannot move any plan to eSIM on T-Mobile Prepaid, everything has to be started through their app. I let it lapse and was running just Cricket for the last couple of months.

Last night, I bought service on T-Mobile's iOS eSIM app for the $40 plan and had to pay immediately for the 10GB prepaid plan (that's the cheapest). It worked with no trouble, but I didn't like the area code/number that I was automatically assigned. I was able to to pick a new one through the very nice process on the My T-Mobile account management and now have the number I want on eSIM.

I'm able to change my plan to just about anything currently offered, despite starting with one of the predetermined plans for eSIM. Simply Prepaid is there, but also Mobile Internet and Connect. Changing to those would take effect during the next billing cycle. I'm debating if I want to change to $15 Connect because I can also live with that or let this play out as OP suggested just to see what happens. If I wasn't thinking of this for SMS and an extra number, I may even change it to Mobile Internet like I had originally intended.

I loaded an additional $9 (plus taxes/fees, so a little under $11) so that there's some money on my account. If the fine print is accurate, the full payment won't happen on 6/10, it should automatically convert to the $3/month plan, and I'd have 3 months' worth of service paid for. I don't know if funds over a certain amount automatically put you back on the previous plan you had, so in that case, one would need to keep less than $40 on the account.

I've said it time and time again that I like a lot of what T-Mobile is doing, but their account management stuff seems to have a mind of its own and customer service isn't even always clued in. If this is a worthwhile loophole, it just has a bit of a startup cost, but if not I'm not out that much and one of the other plans may work for me. Plus, I'll share my experience with everyone here.