Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Signal strength

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    That’s one thing I could never figure out about iPhones (or all cell phones in general for that matter). The whole purpose of a cell phone is to use a wireless signal as fast as possible. Apple has been known to use inferior technology for modems and antennas (insert your standard intel vs Qualcomm argument here or the old antenna gate story here). I really wish Apple would get the latest and greatest modem and antenna and build the device around those two features.

So far a majority of the reports has suggested that the new iPhone will use the Qualcomm x55 modem a few articles did suggest that it was possible (although unlikely) that Apple struck a deal with Qualcomm to get access to the x60 modem early.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Well it’s going to be a Qualcomm but not sure which one. Since apple bought intels modem business and now owns that it’s way to soon for them to have a 5g modem ready yet. The fact that people say iPhones have the worst antenna and the galaxy has the best is crazy, I mean I just proved that to be wrong. I know the s20 has a tx power of 24 on band 12. The iPhone 11 Pro is tx power 25. I’m sure the next iPhone will be much better due to new design and much more antenna lines in the frame.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealthily View Post
    Well it’s going to be a Qualcomm but not sure which one. Since apple bought intels modem business and now owns that it’s way to soon for them to have a 5g modem ready yet. The fact that people say iPhones have the worst antenna and the galaxy has the best is crazy, I mean I just proved that to be wrong. I know the s20 has a tx power of 24 on band 12. The iPhone 11 Pro is tx power 25. I’m sure the next iPhone will be much better due to new design and much more antenna lines in the frame.
    That's good to hear the 11 pro is better. The xs struggled. I don't have any complaints about the reception on my note 10+.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    That's good to hear the 11 pro is better. The xs struggled. I don't have any complaints about the reception on my note 10+.

Yeah. I know the next one will be Qualcomm. It won’t be a few years till Apple brings out their own modem. I did see a report (I believe by PC Mag) that the iPhone XS Max did have some higher download speeds then the iPhone 11. But I think the iPhone 11 pro edged out on weak signal speeds. It would be nice if Apple splurged and paid Qualcomm extra for the x60 modem. With the economy and wireless sales being down in general I could see Apple spending a little more to get extra sales but by the time everything happened it was probably already to late to change modems.

Probably 80% of the articles I googled claimed Apple would go with the x55. Only 20% or so said it was possible they would pick up the x60 but still said the x55 was more likely. The only thing that makes me think their is a chance that Apple could pick up the x60 was because Apple had issues with the antenna size of the x60 and I guess Qualcomm redesigned the antenna and made it a little smaller. The redesign probably wasn’t specifically for apple but the article made it seem like it was a driving force.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/9to5mac...candidate/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mac...phone.amp.html

Feedback Score
    Yeah. I know the next one will be Qualcomm. It won’t be a few years till Apple brings out their own modem. I did see a report (I believe by PC Mag) that the iPhone XS Max did have some higher download speeds then the iPhone 11. But I think the iPhone 11 pro edged out on weak signal speeds. It would be nice if Apple splurged and paid Qualcomm extra for the x60 modem. With the economy and wireless sales being down in general I could see Apple spending a little more to get extra sales but by the time everything happened it was probably already to late to change modems.

Probably 80% of the articles I googled claimed Apple would go with the x55. Only 20% or so said it was possible they would pick up the x60 but still said the x55 was more likely. The only thing that makes me think their is a chance that Apple could pick up the x60 was because Apple had issues with the antenna size of the x60 and I guess Qualcomm redesigned the antenna and made it a little smaller. The redesign probably wasn’t specifically for apple but the article made it seem like it was a driving force.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/9to5mac...candidate/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mac...phone.amp.html

The 11 is only 2x2. The pro is 4x4

Feedback Score
    I really wish Apple would get the latest and greatest modem and antenna and build the device around those two features.
    https://www.cnet.com/news/apples-rum...-made-antenna/

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/02/14...module-custom/

Feedback Score
    Me personally I don’t care if they design it or if Qualcomm designs it. As long as it works where I need it is all that matters. I don’t expect to see mmwave spectrum in small towns or rural areas around me. The graphs and comparisons from wiwavelength show the current iPhones antenna design to not be very good, however like I stated before it works for me better then the s20 ultra. I’m not sure if Samsung went cheap again on the antenna like the s10 series or not but my 11 pro held onto att signal better then the s20 ultra did. I seen the iPhone complete a call and data connection as low as -128dbm, which I believe is due to the firmware of the modem how they set the minimal signal threshold for a specific band signal before it scans for a better signal.

Feedback Score
    Obviously the network your on plays apart too. I don’t expect a cell site with out dated equipment to work as well as newer or modernized sites with 4x4 mimo low band antennas like Verizon is deploying. The signal quality and signal to noise ratio plays a big part too as well as the filters the cell site is using. Example around where I live Verizon probably 45 to 60% market share in central pa. However band 13 even when at -120 or higher still *** decent snr and rsrq. Sprint on the other hand and horrible noise and quality which kills throughput.

Feedback Score
    Another interesting article regarding Qualcomm, iPhone, Apple, and 5G. https://appleinsider.com/articles/19...s-soon-as-2022

Feedback Score
    Me personally I don’t care if they design it or if Qualcomm designs it. As long as it works where I need it is all that matters. I don’t expect to see mmwave spectrum in small towns or rural areas around me. The graphs and comparisons from wiwavelength show the current iPhones antenna design to not be very good, however like I stated before it works for me better then the s20 ultra. I’m not sure if Samsung went cheap again on the antenna like the s10 series or not but my 11 pro held onto att signal better then the s20 ultra did. I seen the iPhone complete a call and data connection as low as -128dbm, which I believe is due to the firmware of the modem how they set the minimal signal threshold for a specific band signal before it scans for a better signal.
    I agree. What also helps is the support of the EVS audio codec which allows for reliability even in poor coverage due to improved error resilience against packet loss without affecting audio quality. https://www.techzone360.com/topics/t...d-directly.htm https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enha...ces#Technology

Feedback Score
    Yeah. I know the next one will be Qualcomm. It won’t be a few years till Apple brings out their own modem. I did see a report (I believe by PC Mag) that the iPhone XS Max did have some higher download speeds then the iPhone 11. But I think the iPhone 11 pro edged out on weak signal speeds.
    https://www.pcmag.com/news/exclusive...ties-iphone-xs
    This might be the article you’re thinking of. Also has some informative charts.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Obviously the network your on plays apart too. I don’t expect a cell site with out dated equipment to work as well as newer or modernized sites with 4x4 mimo low band antennas like Verizon is deploying. The signal quality and signal to noise ratio plays a big part too as well as the filters the cell site is using. Example around where I live Verizon probably 45 to 60% market share in central pa. However band 13 even when at -120 or higher still *** decent snr and rsrq. Sprint on the other hand and horrible noise and quality which kills throughput.
    T is also deploying 4x4 for band 14 and upgrading band 12 to 4x4 as well. One of the engineers on here confirmed it a while back.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    T is also deploying 4x4 for band 14 and upgrading band 12 to 4x4 as well. One of the engineers on here confirmed it a while back.

I’d imagine any of the new installs for first net would be 4x4. Only thing 4x4 on a tower for low band does for a device is it allows for a cleaner signal and ability to hear a device better on edge of cell service

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I’d imagine any of the new installs for first net would be 4x4. Only thing 4x4 on a tower for low band does for a device is it allows for a cleaner signal and ability to hear a device better on edge of cell service
    Yup, by switching between the two sets of antennas. Gives better throughout a well. Some devices will be on one set of antenna while the other devices will be on the other set.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score

Signal strength

Verizon has antennas that do 4x4 mimo using low band spectrum?

Edit: Wow, guys more than one of you are saying 4x4 mimo works on low band now. When did this happen? In the past people said it would be impossible for 4x4 mimo to work on low band because the antennas would have to be huge. Wow, this is awesome news!!

Edit 2: So 4x4 mimo on low band doesn’t really improve speeds like it does on mid band spectrum?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blaineh View Post
    Verizon has antennas that do 4x4 mimo using low band spectrum?

Edit: Wow, guys more than one of you are saying 4x4 mimo works on low band now. When did this happen? In the past people said it would be impossible for 4x4 mimo to work on low band because the antennas would have to be huge. Wow, this is awesome news!!

Edit 2: So 4x4 mimo on low band doesn’t really improve speeds like it does on mid band spectrum?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    4x4 mimo on the device will probably never happen. I know the newer installs that use commscope panels have 4x4 mimo on lowband.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast