Thread: provisioning question

Feedback Score

provisioning question

I just got a company phone upgrade from a samsung S7 to a samsung galaxy 10e on the AT&T network. It was the best android option. I just noticed that BestBuy has a V40 64Gb for 299. I am thinking about selling the 10e and buying the V40, but im not sure if that is going to introduce unexpected complications with the switch over/upgrade. If im not mistaken the V40 is a better phone? Better screen resolution and battery, bigger screen size, and I think LG provides a 2 year warranty if you register it (much better than the standard 1 year phone waranty)

I think that I previously just moved the sim card from my old phone to my new phone and that was it. There's a new sim card that comes with the 10e. Im not sure if I should keep that new sim card or include it with the 10e if I sell it. Is that new sim card "programmed" to my account? Does AT&T need to know the exact phone that I am using with this account? Is this going to overcomplicate things or am I just overthinking it?

Feedback Score
    I've been considering the S10E. What is it that you don't like about it? How are signal strengths? Is the Samsung software clutzy?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtvaquero View Post
    I've been considering the S10E. What is it that you don't like about it? How are signal strengths? Is the Samsung software clutzy?

Thanks.
    Per my original post: "Better screen resolution and battery, bigger screen size, and I think LG provides a 2 year warranty if you register it (much better than the standard 1 year phone waranty)".

I saw a review on amazon where someone said that their 10e was inferior to their old samsung galaxy S8 which set off some warnings for me (particularly the resolution which seems to suck).

However, I just received the following info from another group:
    "That phone [V40] was released in October 2018 and LG will stop(if they haven't already) updating it in this October. So if your employer is providing a phone so that employees have the latest security updates to connect to their secure networks, this phone isn't going to work very long.

Here is an example of how poorly LG supports their devices.

Your Samsung S7 was released the same year as the LG V20. Samsung has continued to provide security updates to the S7 and it is currently on the December 2019 security patch while the LG V20(which received only one major OS update) is now and forever on the September 2018 security patch."

So now I have to balance the security/update issues against the other stuff

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blackrainmoto View Post
    Per my original post: "Better screen resolution and battery, bigger screen size, and I think LG provides a 2 year warranty if you register it (much better than the standard 1 year phone waranty)".

Fair enough, thought maybe there was something else. I'm considering the S10E because it is a smaller screen and footprint. The resolution doesn't matter that much to me. As far as battery life, the V40 screen will probably require more battery power. The S10E has the newer processor, don't know how that would affect battery life.

With regard to that review comparing it to an S8, I find that interesting. I've read a boatload of reviews which say otherwise. I've never owned a Samsung, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can about them.

As far as the second year of warranty, that's definitely a value to be considered. I wonder if that will influence other manufacturers. https://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/warranty

Thanks for responding.

Feedback Score
    Fair enough, thought maybe there was something else. I'm considering the S10E because it is a smaller screen and footprint. The resolution doesn't matter that much to me. As far as battery life, the V40 screen will probably require more battery power. The S10E has the newer processor, don't know how that would affect battery life.

With regard to that review comparing it to an S8, I find that interesting. I've read a boatload of reviews which say otherwise. I've never owned a Samsung, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can about them.

As far as the second year of warranty, that's definitely a value to be considered. I wonder if that will influence other manufacturers.

Thanks for responding.
    This is the review that I was referring to (I cant post the link...its the main 3 star review). Not sure what to think...I cant believe it looks out of focus

"I've been using the Samsung S8 for the past two years without any major issues. So I decided to purchase the S10e since it was about the same price I paid for the S8. But after using the S10e for a few days, I don't like it as much. First off, the pixel density of the S8 is about 100ppi higher. Some may not notice a difference, but I do. Small text looks "out of focus" on the S10e, but is sharp and clear on the S8. Also, the front camera "hole" is a constant distraction when using the phone.

The second issue with the Always On Display does not turn off if the phone is in your pocket, and keeps using the battery. From what I've read, this is a "know issue" on all S10 models, as the proximity sensor does not work properly. On my S8, the Always on Display turns off in my pocket or if I place the phone screen-down on a table.

Lastly, I'm really missing the LED Notification light. All my previous Samsung phones (S and Notes) had the LED Notification, as it was easy to tell from a distance if there was a missed call, new message, or E-Mail. But with the S10e there isn't a notification light that keeps blinking, so I'm always having to checked the Always On Display for new notification.

At this point, I'll be returning the S10e, as it feels like a downgrade from my S8. Even if I went with the regular S10, it would have a higher resolution screen like my S8, but would still be missing the LED Notification light and the Always on Display would stay turn on inside of a pocket using the battery. Maybe I'll go with the S9, or LG G8 when it comes out.

------------
    Update:
    After owning the S8 for the past two years, I first got the S10e and didn't care for it, and exchanged it for the regular S10.
    I do like the S10 more than the S10e. But with that being said, it's not a huge upgrade from my S8, and is actually missing features.
    First off, the ultrasonic fingerprint reader on the S10 works about 50% of the time. I even registered my right thumb as Finger 1-4, and it still has issues reading it. The face detection does work (in good lighting) but isn't as secure. What was best was the Iris Scanner on the S8/S9. It was fast, accurate and secure.
    Next, there is no LED Notification Light on the S10 series. This means you can't easily tell if you had a call or message by a flashing color light, and instead you are dependent on the Always On Display that you have to check. I really missed the LED Notification light when using the S10 and found myself always checking the phone for missed alerts.

Now for the good...The screen on the S10 is a modest step up from the S8. I'm not fond of the camera hole, but did get use to it. The Cameras also took good quality pictures, and I'm glad to see a dedicated wide-angle lens (like my LG G5 had). Call quality was good, signal reception seemed OK. Battery life was better on the S10 than my S8.
    Right now Samsung is selling the S9 for under $350, so I may upgrade to that from my S8, since it still has the LED Notification Light and Iris Scanner."

Feedback Score

Thanks.
    BTW, I have not used it yet. I wanted to maximize resale value by not using it before I figure this all out.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. It sounds like that reviewer is just really rejecting the hardware differences. If he doesn't need the processor upgrade and better radios of the S10, he's probably better off sticking with the S8 or S9. He's gotten used to doing it a certain way and doesn't like the changes. I certainly can sympathize with that. I'm the same way with vehicles, TV's, dvr's, pretty much anything. I just resist change.

I do read and watch a few individual reviews, but mostly like to see what the phone gurus have to say. Most of the S10 reviews are pretty positive. All phones have their pros and cons. The one consistent negative with the S10E that I've read is the location of the fingerprint reader. Most say it is too high on the side of the phone and hard to reach. I'm used to touching the fingerprint reader on the bottom front bezel with my index finger. I'd have to learn to use another finger or two on the S10E.

Thanks for posting this review.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. It sounds like that reviewer is just really rejecting the hardware differences. If he doesn't need the processor upgrade and better radios of the S10, he's probably better off sticking with the S8 or S9. He's gotten used to doing it a certain way and doesn't like the changes. I certainly can sympathize with that. I'm the same way with vehicles, TV's, dvr's, pretty much anything. I just resist change.

I do read and watch a few individual reviews, but mostly like to see what the phone gurus have to say. Most of the S10 reviews are pretty positive. All phones have their pros and cons. The one consistent negative with the S10E that I've read is the location of the fingerprint reader. Most say it is too high on the side of the phone and hard to reach. I'm used to touching the fingerprint reader on the bottom front bezel with my index finger. I'd have to learn to use another finger or two on the S10E.

Thanks for posting this review.
    I'm also really struggling with the following. I have had 2x S7s in the last 3 years (one was a replacement). This phone drives me nuts. I have gone through all of the recommended optimizations and its still super slow. it doesnt feel like a modern phone. It feels like it was fine new out of the box but I think the updates jam it up. I'm desperate to get out of this garbage phone.

LG will stop updating the V40 in October (while samsung will continue with support and updates for significantly longer). I'm not sure if this is a pro or a con. I am tired of all the AT&T updates being forced on my S7.

Im also trying to reconcile my anxiety over phone updates, the better Samsung security updates, the better LG warranty, and some of the other differences mentioned. i think the screen size is not as big of a deal.

note: i'm not sure if my company has loaded a policy that pushes the updates. I need to check whether its possible to shut off updates on my S7 (and perhaps i can do the same with the 10e)

I suppose 1 option might be to use the 10e for now, and when I get closer to the 1 year mark,buy LG G8 thinq at a cheaper price and get the 2 year warranty

edit: I checked my security policy updates setting on my S7 and "auto update" was on. I now shut it off. So i dont think forced security updates are locked on my phone under a company policy.
    Last edited by blackrainmoto; 05-10-2020 at 10:13 PM.

Feedback Score
    I have an S7 Edge as a spare phone and it’s painfully slow compared to all of my iPhones. My old 5s and 6s are faster. Let alone my newer iPhones.

But it does get very respectable standby battery life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    Regarding the notification LED issue, there’s ways around it. https://www.theandroidsoul.com/how-t...plus-and-s10e/

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JSchnee21 View Post
    I have an S7 Edge as a spare phone and it’s painfully slow compared to all of my iPhones. My old 5s and 6s are faster. Let alone my newer iPhones.

But it does get very respectable standby battery life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    The S7 is actually what made me go back to iPhone. I Absolutely loved my S4 and S6, it was fine (a bit laggy compared to my S6) on it's initial software but took a complete nosedive after a single update.. All the S7 variants on the account did it.

I've got a Note 9 here I got for a decent price on refurb, but this one has already kinda wonked out with the Android 10 update (not to mention, it's stuck on the "old" UI as Samsung just decided that was only for new models?), I'm just not sure if I trust Samsung enough at this point to ever make them my primary go to device anytime soon.

To the OP.. moving the SIM card would work just fine. You're going Android -> Android, so it should just move as it is.
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"
    Sprint: Premium Unlimited (for 100GB hotspot!)

Device(s)
    LG V40 ThinQ
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blackrainmoto View Post

I saw a review on amazon where someone said that their 10e was inferior to their old samsung galaxy S8 which set off some warnings for me (particularly the resolution which seems to suck).

However, I just received the following info from another group:
    "That phone [V40] was released in October 2018 and LG will stop(if they haven't already) updating it in this October. So if your employer is providing a phone so that employees have the latest security updates to connect to their secure networks, this phone isn't going to work very long.

Here is an example of how poorly LG supports their devices.

Your Samsung S7 was released the same year as the LG V20. Samsung has continued to provide security updates to the S7 and it is currently on the December 2019 security patch while the LG V20(which received only one major OS update) is now and forever on the September 2018 security patch."

So now I have to balance the security/update issues against the other stuff
    I have the V40 on ATT and have had excellent and regular software updates pushed out. Most recently updated to Android 10 after everyone said we would never see it. I wouldn't worry too much about this aspect. I absolutely love the device.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk