Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Total Wireless No data service during power outage

Feedback Score

Total Wireless No data service during power outage

Yesterday we had a power outage for a couple of hours at my home (Springboro, OH). WE have Total Wireless service for our (my wife and I) wireless phones. During the power outage, we had no data service. We could make calls just fine, but anything that involved data was a no go. No internet. No Facebook. No email, etc. The CR at Total Wireless was absolutely useless. She kept wanting to troubleshoot my phone. I kept telling her that the issue couldn't be the phone because both my wife's and my phone lost data service at the same time when the power went out. It had to be some sort of network issue. She wasn't hearing it. She kept saying that she had to go through all of these steps in a specific order. When we finally finished the steps, 45 minutes later, she transferred me up the ladder to a manager who wanted me to do the same steps all over again. Of course nothing worked. Two hours later, the power came back on and I had data service once again. And we had WiFi shutoff on our phones, so that wasn't the issue.

It was all So very strange. Has anyone on Total Wireless experienced anything like this? The fact that our data disappeared and reappeared with the power to our home can't just be a coincidence.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Sometimes it works to turn on and then off the Airplane mode.
    I never had this happen (power outage take out the data) but, if Verizon network was congested (is the only provider in that area), probably you were de-prioritized. Everyone is at home and they all went to use the data on their phones, like you tried.

Feedback Score
    Even if the power outage somehow affected your local tower, it wouldn't be a TW issue. They take care of your phones interface with the network (Vzw, ATT, TM). Not the network itself. All they can do is trouble shoot your phone. They wouldn't even be able to begin to tell you if the power outage is the reason. Not their job.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Did you make sure the phones where not roaming? Maybe that the Verizon tower in your area had no backup what so ever which caused the phones to roam on another carrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    That's why it is good to have a spare phone on a different network for emergencies. My Freedompop line runs on ATT for only $3.50 a month & provides great peace of mind at a minimal cost. It's kept it in the car in case I forget / don't have my main phone.

Or just because s___ happens sometimes

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Even if the power outage somehow affected your local tower, it wouldn't be a TW issue. They take care of your phones interface with the network (Vzw, ATT, TM). Not the network itself. All they can do is trouble shoot your phone. They wouldn't even be able to begin to tell you if the power outage is the reason. Not their job.
    How is that not their job? I guarantee that AT&T or Verizon could tell me if there was a problem with the network that was affecting my data service.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    That's why it is good to have a spare phone on a different network for emergencies. My Freedompop line runs on ATT for only $3.50 a month & provides great peace of mind at a minimal cost. It's kept it in the car in case I forget / don't have my main phone.

Or just because s___ happens sometimes
    Yeah, that's a really good idea. Find the absolute cheapest plan you can in case of emergencies. I mean, we were always able to make calls but that may not always be the case.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bengalfreak2 View Post
    How is that not their job? I guarantee that AT&T or Verizon could tell me if there was a problem with the network that was affecting my data service.
    Because they OWN those networks. Total Wireless is just reselling service at lower price, they are a MVNO. Subject of de-prioritization, as per their TOS.
    I am sure the local tower had power, it's just that everyone else was trying to get internet access via that tower at that point.
    If that's not something that you can tolerate, maybe you need to rethink the "savings" and get directly a plan with those primary providers.

Feedback Score
    Terminology. Basically, MVNOs like TW are Carriers that basically lease band width on the network from 1 of the big 4 (Vzw, ATT, TMO, Spt) and resell it with their brand. Networks (Vzw, ATT, TMO etc.) own and maintain the underlying infrastructure. Vzw, ATT, etc. directly are both; (Carriers of their own Network). So of course if you had your service directly through Vzw they could tell you because they maintain the infrastructure too.
    Someone else will explain it different. But bottom line, TW only handles how your phone interfaces with Vzw (or whoever).

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    If you want to know, Total Wireless uses the Verizon towers. There are other MVNO's that use Verizon towers too. If there was power outage, it could have cause an outage from point A to point B for the tower.

If you can still make phone calls like it sounds like, you could be running into deprioritization because maybe lots of other Verizon and Verizon MVNO users could have been using the data since they have no power too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    Did you make sure the phones where not roaming? Maybe that the Verizon tower in your area had no backup what so ever which caused the phones to roam on another carrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's a very good question. Total Wireless uses the Verizon network. And I talked to others in my subdivision that have Verizon and their service was uninterrupted during the power outage. But I had roaming shutoff (not sure why) on our iphones so maybe the Verizon customers that were able to utilize data were roaming and because our roaming was shutoff, we couldn't access another tower. Hmm.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Because they OWN those networks. Total Wireless is just reselling service at lower price, they are a MVNO. Subject of de-prioritization, as per their TOS.
    I am sure the local tower had power, it's just that everyone else was trying to get internet access via that tower at that point.
    If that's not something that you can tolerate, maybe you need to rethink the "savings" and get directly a plan with those primary providers.
    That doesn't add up. There were only a few streets without power. That wouldn't have created a huge demand for extra data at that point. Wouldn't have been a blip on their radar.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Terminology. Basically, MVNOs like TW are Carriers that basically lease band width on the network from 1 of the big 4 (Vzw, ATT, TMO, Spt) and resell it with their brand. Networks (Vzw, ATT, TMO etc.) own and maintain the underlying infrastructure. Vzw, ATT, etc. directly are both; (Carriers of their own Network). So of course if you had your service directly through Vzw they could tell you because they maintain the infrastructure too.
    Someone else will explain it different. But bottom line, TW only handles how your phone interfaces with Vzw (or whoever).
    I understand all of that. But part of their deal with Verizon should be a way to ascertain if there is a network outage. It would simply be ridiculous for them not to be able to tell their customers whether or not the network is working. I used to pay Cincinnati Bell for internet access here in Dayton. Cincinnati Bell has no infrastructure in Dayton. They leased data capacity from TimeWarner (now Spectrum) and resold it under their name. But if there was a system outage, they knew about it and could give you a reasonable idea of when it would be back in service. The same with IGS for natural gas service. The gas was actually supplied by Vectren here but IGS did the billing and resold the gas under their name at a price less than Vectren charged. Total Wireless should absolutely be able to do the same.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    How is that not their job?
    For starters, TW doesn't own their own network/towers and leases if from the major carriers (which differs on where you have coverage). TW can only submit technical tickets to an internal team who investigates and reaches out to the carrier for troubleshooting. If you called At&t or Verizon about network issues, they will refer you back to TW for assistance as they won't have access to your account through their systems.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Did the phones show LTE? We have seen similar issues where we live with AT&T. In populated areas where there are mostly houses the carriers bet most people have WiFi so there is not sufficient backhaul out of the towers to support everyone using data at the same time. As soon as the power goes out everyone grabs their phones. Post Paid customers get higher priority than MVNO's.

Sent from my SM-T720 using HoFo mobile app

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast