Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cell Booster - Works on Android but not IPhone or Blackberry

Feedback Score

Cell Booster - Works on Android but not IPhone or Blackberry

Hey all,

We had a Wilson Pro 1000 system installed in our commercial building last year to help bring a very strong outdoor signal to the interior of our 100k/ sqf building. This installation included a outside antennae, the Wilson Pro booster and two internal antennae which are on a splitter. (Only 1 output on the booster)

The vendor tested the system and everything seemed to work as expected. Later that afternoon when word got out that the booster was installed we received reports that some staff were still dropping calls within the building, even those 20 feet away from the antennae.

We did a quick audit and discovered that all Android Phones (10), regardless of their make had full bars and fast data speeds, however all the Iphones (7) and one Blackberry device showed no determinable difference and dropped calls if you were not able to position yourself against a window.

The vendor tried a few things, re-aligning the outdoor antenna, disconnecting the Y adapter and using one single indoor antennae, restarting the Wilson Pro system, nothing has helped the situation and they're out of ideas. From what I gather, due to the length of time it's not possible to send the unit back to Wilson, especially since it does work in some regard.

Does anyone know of a setting or something we could try to figure this problem out?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Brutane View Post
    Hey all,

We had a Wilson Pro 1000 system installed in our commercial building last year to help bring a very strong outdoor signal to the interior of our 100k/ sqf building. This installation included a outside antennae, the Wilson Pro booster and two internal antennae which are on a splitter. (Only 1 output on the booster)

The vendor tested the system and everything seemed to work as expected. Later that afternoon when word got out that the booster was installed we received reports that some staff were still dropping calls within the building, even those 20 feet away from the antennae.

We did a quick audit and discovered that all Android Phones (10), regardless of their make had full bars and fast data speeds, however all the Iphones (7) and one Blackberry device showed no determinable difference and dropped calls if you were not able to position yourself against a window.

The vendor tried a few things, re-aligning the outdoor antenna, disconnecting the Y adapter and using one single indoor antennae, restarting the Wilson Pro system, nothing has helped the situation and they're out of ideas. From what I gather, due to the length of time it's not possible to send the unit back to Wilson, especially since it does work in some regard.

Does anyone know of a setting or something we could try to figure this problem out?
    What bands is the booster on and the cell phones? It's very odd that you've narrowed it down to an android vs other brands thing as it's typically not the case and is instead which bands / carriers they're with.

If the booster supports amplifying 1900 Mhz (or 1700/2100 Mhz) as well and there it has a selectable gain, I would turn that all the way down so the phones only see the lower frequency bands.

Feedback Score
    Agree with @Class. It's dependent on frequency bands, not OS.

What are the specs for the booster?
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    The Wilson Pro 1000 supposedly covers all the Canadian cell frequencies. The only thing I see missing is 2.5 gigahertz which is Sprint so shouldn't affect Canada

https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/wil...er-kit-460236/

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    I would try an external omni instead of the yagi. I know it doesn't sound like much but it could be preventing the number of phones from making their own choice about band and tower selection (and vice versa, the tower asking the phone to hand off to another).

The only reason I suggest this is the booster you have is super powerful and you mentioned the outdoor signal is excellent and I'm assuming the phones being uses are on a few different carriers. Typically if the outside signal is poor you would use a yagi to eek out better performance...

Feedback Score
    The booster covers several bands, and has a digital display on the front. I'll snap a picture in the morning and post here.

I agree that OS should not matter, but for some reason the Android devices like Samsung, HTC get excellent service with this booster installed, our batteries are at 85% or so at the end of the day versus 15-20% with the booster off.

All our sales staff, a mix of 5 IPhone 7's, 2 IPhone SE and 1 Blackberry (Which runs Android I believe) all drop calls or fail to connect even if you're standing under the indoor antennae.

From what I can tell we cannot select the gain, the buttons on the unit allow you to see a graph of the UP link & Downlink for any given selected band.

Feedback Score
    Forgot to add, that were all using Bell Mobility on the same Corporate account

We have the 'Fin' outdoor antennae if that makes sense, it's pointed at the Bell tower which is very close and visible from our roof. We get excellent 4g/LTE signal outside the building, but you literally had to hug the window when using your cell from within the building.

From what I understand the Wilson 1000 covers 2g, 3g and 4g, it may have been sourced from a US supplier so I'm sure if that would have any impact, again, doesn't make sense that our Androids work without issue.

What about the internal antennae, could it 'filter out' bands somehow?

outdoor antenna: wilsonamplifiers.ca/wilson-yagi-directional-antenna-wide-band-50ohm-n-connector-314411/
    both indoor antenna: wilsonamplifiers.ca/wilson-electronics-4g-dome-ceiling-antenna-50-ohm-304412/
    splitter: wilsonamplifiers.ca/3db-2-way-splitter-for-700-2700mhz-50ohm-859957/

Feedback Score
    Name:  2020-05-12_9-48-53.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  28.0 KB

This is the screen of our booster

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    The booster seems to be functioning correctly & is not indicating feedback. It does appear there is no band 7 support, but not sure if that should make a difference?

Have you tried re-starting any of the problem phones once inside the building to see if they connect to the booster?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Brutane View Post
    Forgot to add, that were all using Bell Mobility on the same Corporate account

We have the 'Fin' outdoor antennae if that makes sense, it's pointed at the Bell tower which is very close and visible from our roof. We get excellent 4g/LTE signal outside the building, but you literally had to hug the window when using your cell from within the building.

From what I understand the Wilson 1000 covers 2g, 3g and 4g, it may have been sourced from a US supplier so I'm sure if that would have any impact, again, doesn't make sense that our Androids work without issue.

What about the internal antennae, could it 'filter out' bands somehow?

outdoor antenna: wilsonamplifiers.ca/wilson-yagi-directional-antenna-wide-band-50ohm-n-connector-314411/
    both indoor antenna: wilsonamplifiers.ca/wilson-electronics-4g-dome-ceiling-antenna-50-ohm-304412/
    splitter: wilsonamplifiers.ca/3db-2-way-splitter-for-700-2700mhz-50ohm-859957/
    Yes, that Fin is more commonly known as a Yagi antenna, named after the inventor's co-worker. Both the external and internal antenna are in the right range for the # of bands we support here in Canada on Bell'us (or Rogers) and any of the subsidiaries.

I would double check to make sure WiFi calling on those phones are off.

I'll re-iterate that an outdoor omni may solve your problems, is quick to install and you can get them from many retailers with a return policy.

You could also force those phones to 3G/4G only (HSPA/WCDMA) (aka not include LTE) and see if that helps.

Feedback Score
    I don't have a good answer. But some questions may help narrow it down.

Have you ever had an iPhone work with the booster?

Does the booster have any limitation on how many users are using it?

What cell are the iPhones connected to, and what is the RSRP? At the same location, what cells are the Android phones connected to, and what is the RSRP?

Is it possible that iPhones are connecting to B7 and Androids are not?

Feedback Score
    We have tried restarting the phones within the building to see if it would connect but unfortunately it did not help.

We also tried a few other settings like enabling/disabling wifi calling (had to get Bell to turn on this feature at the network level) still doesn't work. Also we can see the bands its trying to use by dialing *3001#12345#* it stays on band 4 but also says it ul/dl frequency is 20 mhz which i thought band 4 was in the 17mhz range

Feedback Score
    The entire band 4 is from 1710-1755 for UL, and 2110-2155 for DL. But you would only be using 15 MHz of that in most markets, because that's what Bell/Telus have licenses for, and it's what they have deployed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sheytoon View Post
    I don't have a good answer. But some questions may help narrow it down.

Have you ever had an iPhone work with the booster?

Does the booster have any limitation on how many users are using it?

What cell are the iPhones connected to, and what is the RSRP? At the same location, what cells are the Android phones connected to, and what is the RSRP?

Is it possible that iPhones are connecting to B7 and Androids are not?
    Not sure how to identify the tower specifically, but on my
    Android the RSRP IS -97, RSRQ -14, SNR 11.0
    Apple the RSRP IS -113, RSRQ -23, SNR (not listed)

Android is using band 4 and BW (Bandwidth?) is 20

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sheytoon View Post
    The entire band 4 is from 1710-1755 for UL, and 2110-2155 for DL. But you would only be using 15 MHz of that in most markets, because that's what Bell/Telus have licenses for, and it's what they have deployed.
    Thanks for this, I took another look and determined that 20MHZ was the Upload Bandwidth and not Upload Frequenzy which was 1729

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast