Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: In 2021 T-Mobile will only support VoLTE & 5G for voice calls

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

In 2021 T-Mobile will only support VoLTE & 5G for voice calls

Just talked a friend into sending back her gift of a Non-LTE Samsung Active Smartwatch 2 to her husband that didn’t have the LTE option. They are on Verizon but everyone is going to shut down 2G, 3G, 4G HSPA and any devices that doesn’t support T-Mobiles VoLTE on their network. So this isn’t just a T-Mobile issue, anything you have that isn’t VoLTE or 5G is a brick in 2021 and mostly every National network. This is going to hurt USCC, Cspire and most MVNO customers the most. Including any Non-LTE smartwatch.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4 XL
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    A non-LTE smartwatch is going to be using Bluetooth to the handset or Wi-Fi if it's available. Every gadget will not cease to function. Calm down. It's going to take T-Mobile at LEAST a year or two just to get customers off of CDMA voice. They're not going to shutdown in a few months and piss off every MVNO and carrier roaming agreement they have. CDMA (1xRTT) takes up very little bandwidth, and soon they could run it in narrow guard bands once they get the majority of voice off of CDMA.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using HoFo mobile app
    -Sterling

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    It seems odd, to put it mildly, that T-Mobile would not have made an announcement, at least a year out, before decommissioning major legacy technologies.

Also, does anyone else find SMT's background soundtrack very annoying?
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, Verizon, AT$T
    Feedback Score
    I do not see GSM/GPRS going anywhere anytime soon as it's just ran in the "useless" guard bands anyway and is easy IoT money, which is ironically what will most likely also happen to Sprint's CDMA in due time as well.

HSPA I can definitely see though as they never really went all out with it anyway and it was just a red-headed stepchild to begin with.
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"
    Sprint: Premium Unlimited (for 100GB hotspot!)

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Ting What you need to know about the 3G shutdown and VoLTE https://ting.com/blog/3g-shutdown-and-volte/

Tracfone Closing 3G CDMA Network- (Now Extended to end of 2020) https://tracfonereviewer.blogspot.co...rk-phones.html

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    And what about visitors from foreign countries who want to roam w. their not very old phones?
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    8 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text, data. TM One plan. Get $10/mo. rebate on 7 lines for low data use. Net cost about $185-190/mo. We haven't had a landline in more than 17 years.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    If T-Mobile can widen their PCS layer to 15 MHz here that would be huge for them. Having 2 10 MHz midband channels does them no favors.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)

Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikethaler View Post
    And what about visitors from foreign countries who want to roam w. their not very old phones?
    I think it concerns them even less than their total lack of concern for customers with not-very-old phones.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I think that this in general is a good thing, even if not well communicated out.
    Supporting old school call routing is typically not a good thing. It may not cost much to 'run', but in general maintenance costs, connections and any use of resources gets.. expensive.
    Part of this may be tied to newer gear, supporting ONLY LTE and above (LTE + nr) vs. GSM + UMTS/HSPA + LTE + nr.
    Companies like this would know how much of their base still uses the old infra.
    From a business perspective, 5x5 MHz 'nationwide' and the cost of supporting 'few' users/devices, and possibly becoming incompatible with site upgrades.
    Back in 2015, T-Mobile claimed 40% of their calls were on VoLTE. That was 5 years ago.
    Who knows, maybe T-Mobile will give 'freebie' phones for those that haven't gotten off of old GSM or UMTS calling.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    As odd as this may seem, there are places where my phone locks onto GSM 1900 in preference to LTE band-71. I think there needs to be better low-band coverage before they deep-six the legacy technologies.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    It seems odd, to put it mildly, that T-Mobile would not have made an announcement, at least a year out, before decommissioning major legacy technologies.
    This announcement from SMT is fake news. There has been no word from Tracfone resources about VoLTE requirements with T-Mobile service. There have been references to a 2G shutdown end of 2020, but not 3G or non-VoLTE 4G. This was discussed just a few weeks ago in the Tracfone forum.

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...-shutting-down

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    This announcement from SMT is fake news. There has been no word from Tracfone resources about VoLTE requirements with T-Mobile service. There have been references to a 2G shutdown end of 2020, but not 3G or non-VoLTE 4G. This was discussed just a few weeks ago in the Tracfone forum.

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...-shutting-down

Tracfone Closing 3G CDMA Network- (Now Extended to end of 2020) https://tracfonereviewer.blogspot.co...rk-phones.html

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    And there is no shutdown date for 2G yet. That seems like it doesn't make much sense, but my understanding is that they run 2G in the otherwise unused guard bands where it services IoT and M2M devices for a small, but steady, cash stream.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    That is about the Verizon CDMA network shutdown. Tracfone sources don't mention Sprint, as there is little of it in the Tracfone companies...maybe Net10 and Straight Talk. Has nothing to do with T-Mobile service.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    As odd as this may seem, there are places where my phone locks onto GSM 1900 in preference to LTE band-71. I think there needs to be better low-band coverage before they deep-six the legacy technologies.
    I don't doubt that one bit. I too pick up GSM 1900 from TMobile (weak) where B12 / B71 are 'verified' yet nowhere to be found. Old GSM BCCH will typically do well in rural areas - as it does not has to deal with a noise floor, and simpler modulation scheme.
    Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app
    Last edited by formercanuck; 05-12-2020 at 09:20 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast