Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: In 2021 T-Mobile will only support VoLTE & 5G for voice calls

Feedback Score

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks those Two articles were a good read on why all networks are moving to LTE and 5G and shutting down older technology by only putting LTE and 5G on the tower site.

Plus in this Covid19 world people are starting to use more video calls now. I hated video calls before the lockdown but now after many virtual video parties I am getting more friends and family using video calls instead of just audio calls. Texting is still the normal. Even have friends wanting me to join a daughter’s high school graduation and her after party over A video call. Didn’t even know my Android S9 over T-Mobile could start a Video call to a friend on Sprint with a iPhone 10 before this quarantine stuff started.

Unfortunately using a T-Mobile Video Calling phone is limited to two participants. That needs to be fixed to at least 8 participants like Facebook messenger and many other Video apps. Why does anyone need to pay for Zoom after 45 minutes when our networks should be able to do the same thing. Maybe that is why Verizon just purchased Blue Jean a video service competitor to Zoom.
    Last edited by shilohcane; 05-15-2020 at 10:08 AM.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trees12 View Post
    so shiloh how long do you think they'll keep 2g edge around on t-mobile?
    I don’t have the information like revenue vs. cost to make that call. So many People here seems to think it is completely free to T-Mobile to operate 2G and maybe 3G. I know there is a cost for any network to operate legacy air interfaces in equipment, power, break fix, and paying people with experience to solve issues between fall over and capability and capacity of those older air interfaces that makes everything more complicated running a National network. T-Mobile, Verizon and AT&T have all been planning to shut down everything other than 5G and LTE got a long time. If is was profitable they wouldn’t want to get rid of it. LOL I am also sure Neville Ray doesn’t need my advice to make the decision.

I want T-Mobile to be the Vanguard Network not the Legacy Network of obsolete technology.
    Last edited by Serial Port; 05-16-2020 at 09:22 AM.

Device(s)
    Qualcomm iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Just talked a friend into sending back her gift of a Non-LTE Samsung Active Smartwatch 2 to her husband that didn’t have the LTE option. They are on Verizon but everyone is going to shut down 2G, 3G, 4G HSPA and any devices that doesn’t support T-Mobiles VoLTE on their network. So this isn’t just a T-Mobile issue, anything you have that isn’t VoLTE or 5G is a brick in 2021 and mostly every National network. This is going to hurt USCC, Cspire and most MVNO customers the most. Including any Non-LTE smartwatch.

I don't see how this will hurt USCC much - the roaming agreement between USCC and T-Mobile is VoLTE only.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, Verizon, AT$T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Every phone I have has never spent more than a few minutes outside a case with the exception of my StarTac. My 2014 Nexus 5 Just stop turning on and the non-replaceable battery had about 5 hours change on a good day. One day it just would not light up. My 2015 LG G4 was was refurbished by LG after that Bootloop issue that cost me $90 and it just eats new battery after about 5 months. Never buying another LG or Apple. Maybe it is the salt air here in Florida but battery don’t last long. It would work if I got it a new battery. I also have a old AT&T Moto StarTac but no clue where the changer is. It was a good phone 12 plus years ago but it isn’t useful for a phone that I would carry. It maybe Is the only phone I ever thought was kool that makes me smile when I flip the StarTac open. When I pick it up I may think Beam me up Scotty. But never said that out loud. Phones are just tools to me and when they have a better tool the old tool is obsolete and useless just like 2G & 3G.

But please tell me why almost every major network in the world is shutting down 2G &3G if it is so profitable?
    Nobody said 3G was profitable, so please.. go back and re-read my posts

I said 200kHz in useless space anyway is profitable, as they're making money on space they'd otherwise be unable to use for 4G and 5G anyway.

Just like anything... you can chose to ignore what I wrote.. but the fact of the matter of what I wrote is not what you're inferring here.

Also, to this day.. any country i've went too I've pulled usable GSM/GPRS signal - as they as just like T-Mobile have mostly moved it to the guardband for IoT devices, once again.. unusable space for 5G.

Also, there's always a reason i'd never touch LG smartphones - they're generally trash and there's a reason they've never gotten any meaningful market share. I even hated their flip phones - they're the ones on Verizon i *always* had problems with.

Samsung - the phones simply just stop getting updates prematurely and are wildly inconsistent, Apple.. the only bad one I had was my 6+ so I did dump that ASAP.. Pixel was good with the Pixel 1 and 2, anything since has been flat underwhelming, etc.

From my years of working between 3 of the 4 carriers.. i've got a whole box of phones ranging from 2 to 22yrs old, and most if not all work fine other than a few nokia's that just need a new battery. Most of the older Samsung and LG flip phones - the button material has all disintegrated to something unusable, but the Motorola and Nokia devices all held up well.
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"
    Sprint: Premium Unlimited (for 100GB hotspot!)

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    I said 200kHz in useless space anyway is profitable, as they're making money on space they'd otherwise be unable to use for 4G and 5G anyway.

Just like anything... you can chose to ignore what I wrote.. but the fact of the matter of what I wrote is not what you're inferring here.

Also, to this day.. any country i've went too I've pulled usable GSM/GPRS signal - as they as just like T-Mobile have mostly moved it to the guardband for IoT devices, once again.. unusable space for 5G.
    Stricktly speaking from a large/manageable deployment state, I suspect that 'IF' and 'WHEN' the 200kHz GSM channels go away, it will be because of a large deployment/integration project.. I.E. T-Mobile integrating/reworking Sprint gear, and getting rid of CDMA 1x/EVDO/GSM and anything that had been circuit switched. If its just upgrade here and there... then it may be there for a while. From a large scale support methodology... it can be ugly for any support issues. This goes back to my Windows 2019 Server to Windows 2012 server to Windows 2000 server analogy.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Stricktly speaking from a large/manageable deployment state, I suspect that 'IF' and 'WHEN' the 200kHz GSM channels go away, it will be because of a large deployment/integration project.. I.E. T-Mobile integrating/reworking Sprint gear, and getting rid of CDMA 1x/EVDO/GSM and anything that had been circuit switched. If its just upgrade here and there... then it may be there for a while. From a large scale support methodology... it can be ugly for any support issues. This goes back to my Windows 2019 Server to Windows 2012 server to Windows 2000 server analogy.
    I'm not disagreeing with you. There just tends to be a few certain people in this forum who just like to bend info however they want to see it.

Also, since it's mostly a software defined radio being used at this point.. i wonder if they're just going to virtualize everything in a cloud platform anyway - just as verizon has done with Visible. I've got one of those SIM cards to play with and im impressed at how well it works.. especially with it being an entirely virtualized platform.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm not against the idea of making use of something that has effectively no cost to keep running, and still has some benefit. My experience with corporate deployment/support typically attaches a superficial cost/expense/liability number. If the new CEO is more of a business/bean counter, then you'll likely see 2G/CDMA gone quickly

Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Nokia 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA / Play (Poland)
    Feedback Score
    Do we think there is a viable way to reach a standard with voLTE where eventually everybody will be able to use it in the same way as 3G voice is now, or are we going to have major roaming issues for voice in the future?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Barciur View Post
    Do we think there is a viable way to reach a standard with voLTE where eventually everybody will be able to use it in the same way as 3G voice is now, or are we going to have major roaming issues for voice in the future?
    VoLTE and Vo5G use the IMS framework https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Multimedia_Subsystem so the technical standards are already there. There are solutions https://www.metaswitch.com/blog/how-...-volte-roaming and guidelines https://www.gsma.com/newsroom/wp-con...R.65-v30.0.pdf. It’s just a matter of getting the carriers to do their part.
    Last edited by DebiLee; 05-18-2020 at 01:24 AM.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Barciur View Post
    Just MHO but I believe that the reason why some carriers adopt non-standard VoLTE systems it to avoid the FCC requirement to provide voice roaming for other carriers with whom you are technically compatible. If Verizon's VoLTE were standard, they'd be forced to support T-Mobile with reasonably priced voice roaming. The FCC needs to step in and define a common VoLTE standard that all LTE carriers have to support.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Just MHO but I believe that the reason why some carriers adopt non-standard VoLTE systems it to avoid the FCC requirement to provide voice roaming for other carriers with whom you are technically compatible. If Verizon's VoLTE were standard, they'd be forced to support T-Mobile with reasonably priced voice roaming. The FCC needs to step in and define a common VoLTE standard that all LTE carriers have to support.
    This is exactly what it comes down too. Until the FCC or some governing body steps in and forces a standard. Verizon especially out of their own interests will never do it until they have too.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I don't blame Verizon for this. They don't want to be forced to open their networks for others.

Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    I don't blame Verizon for this. They don't want to be forced to open their networks for others.....
    No one, having spent the money to deploy and maintain broad (dare I say, "superior") coverage, would want to. Which is why the FCC imposed the requirement on all carriers. What Verizon is doing is using a loophole to escape their legal responsibilities.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    No one, having spent the money to deploy and maintain broad (dare I say, "superior") coverage, would want to. Which is why the FCC imposed the requirement on all carriers. What Verizon is doing is using a loophole to escape their legal responsibilities.
    I agree. Having their coverage advantage is what they have marketed their business on. It is technically a little low to basically create a proprietary VoLTE/VoNR system to keep others off their network. I suspect this wouldn't have been performed if the FCC didn't impose a mandate on carriers for roaming/pricing. In the short term, it may have been good for Verizon, but I suspect that in the long term, AT&T may build out, especially being part of 'FirstNet', and Verizon will lose its domainance.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast