Thread: IPad questions

Feedback Score

IPad questions

If this question is not allowed, please let me know. I don't want to break any rules. I just need some advice on what to do. I'm an Android person and not up to speed on Apple products and software.

I have two iPads for kid use only (eReader, games). Both have problems and I'm debating whether to get them fixed or not.

The iPad Air, 1474, battery died. $99 to replace. There is a screen lock on it. If I sell it without replacing the battery, I'd have to give the password to the new buyer. I have no idea if it's worth anything with a dead battery, or is it better to get the battery replaced and try to resell it. It's in great condition minus the battery.

Second iPad is a mini 2, 1490. Screen needs replaced, $80. Works great too.

Is it better to get one or both fixed? I'd probably keep the mini for the 9year old to use, and sell the Air.

OR is it better to just buy a new Android tablet for the 14 year old? Budget $150. And give the 9 year old, the 14 year old's older Android tablet. I'm not sure what I would do with the broken iPads. Maybe just attempt to resell them as is. Any advice / suggestions are appreciated.

Feedback Score
    may be cheaper to just get them both fixed, kids are hard on electronics.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone SE , Sony Ericsson TM-506
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular , Airvoice Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Both of those iPads are old enough that neither can be upgraded to the current version of iOS (or, of course, any forthcoming versions). That has implications for security, particularly on devices which will be handed to kids. On the other hand, if you're not connecting them to Wi-Fi and/or cellular in regular use, that's not a very big deal. The challenge then may be to find versions of kids' apps and games that will run on iOS 12.x.

Their resale value is pretty low now, particularly the one that's locked. I'm not sure why you'd have to pass along the password. I'll just say it's highly unlikely anyone is going to want to spend any money on a locked iPad with a bad battery. The mini 2: my wife's mini (4) had a cracked screen, but everything still worked properly and it didn’t present a hazard to fingers. We never spent the money to fix it. We did replace it with a 6th-gen iPad partially to keep up to date and partially for the bigger screen.

Android tablets tend to present a different security issue in that many products are released with the current version of Android and that's about it for upgrades. So it's no sure thing that buying a new Android tablet will address any OS security issue. Again, if it's not being connected to anything without your supervision, probably not a big deal. You also may end up spending some money buying apps again.

tbh I'd get them both fixed. I'd find a reputable third-party repair company (I don't think Apple will do it anyway given the age of these devices) and run them both as long as you can. Oh, and think about maybe putting them in tougher cases, if they're not already in some.

Feedback Score
    I agree. Kids are rough with electronics.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for your reply. My kids are hard on electronics. They didn't break this ipad mini screen. It's actually my Mom's. She broke it, bought a new one, and gave us the old one, and said, "Here you go, You just need to get it fixed." Lol. The screen is very badly shattered. I've been using it carefully to log in and just see if it still works. See if the camera works, etc. It seems to work fine except for a strip of lighter colored area near the home button. It doesn't seem change the function of the screen. I just noticed that it seems whiter/lighter colored in that area. Granted that's the area that has the least amount of cracks. So maybe the heavily cracked area (the front facing camera end) is actually darker. I really don't know. I'd have to take it to a repair place and see what they say.

Kids do use them on home wifi, not cellular. Right now it's mostly to read ebooks and use a few game apps and a few teaching apps. Yes, if I got an android tablet I'd have to buy one teaching app that's pretty expensive.

Thanks for your advise!! I appreciate it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steveinmn View Post
    Both of those iPads are old enough that neither can be upgraded to the current version of iOS (or, of course, any forthcoming versions). That has implications for security, particularly on devices which will be handed to kids. On the other hand, if you're not connecting them to Wi-Fi and/or cellular in regular use, that's not a very big deal. The challenge then may be to find versions of kids' apps and games that will run on iOS 12.x.

Their resale value is pretty low now, particularly the one that's locked. I'm not sure why you'd have to pass along the password. I'll just say it's highly unlikely anyone is going to want to spend any money on a locked iPad with a bad battery. The mini 2: my wife's mini (4) had a cracked screen, but everything still worked properly and it didn’t present a hazard to fingers. We never spent the money to fix it. We did replace it with a 6th-gen iPad partially to keep up to date and partially for the bigger screen.

Android tablets tend to present a different security issue in that many products are released with the current version of Android and that's about it for upgrades. So it's no sure thing that buying a new Android tablet will address any OS security issue. Again, if it's not being connected to anything without your supervision, probably not a big deal. You also may end up spending some money buying apps again.

tbh I'd get them both fixed. I'd find a reputable third-party repair company (I don't think Apple will do it anyway given the age of these devices) and run them both as long as you can. Oh, and think about maybe putting them in tougher cases, if they're not already in some.