Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are these few LTE bands good enough for AT&T coverage?

Feedback Score

Are these few LTE bands good enough for AT&T coverage?

I have a phone that appears to only have FDD LTE B2/B3/B4/B5/B7/B28; UMTS B8/B1/B2/B5/AWS; GSM B5/B8/B3/B2 (that's what it says on the phone's box). I've read that AT&T's main bands are 12 and 17, so is it wise to try to use this phone long-term on AT&T or one of its MVNOs? My sister has been trying the phone compared to her Umidigi Power and says she gets better coverage (rural northwest CT) but I'm concerned that it's defaulting to 3G or that she may not get coverage in other areas. Using LTE Discovery, the phone in question is using band 4 where it is now, while another phone on AT&T (Cricket) is on band 17.

The longer story: My sister wanted a Huawei P20 Pro and I saw three models available- a single SIM international, a dual SIM international, and a single SIM CLT-L04 that I originally thought was for sale in Canada by Bell Mobility, but there's a Rogers app on it. I've later learned that this model was for sale in Mexico as well. I was told by few sources that all CLT-L04's use that same bands (basically same as international model except frequencies in China) but on the box it only mentions the bands I referenced above. So maybe a CLT-L04 for sale by Bell Mobility, Rogers, or Mexican carriers all have different LTE antennas?

She can return the phone and get an international model for not much more money, but I want to see if it's necessary before going through the hassle.

Bell Mobility told me that theirs uses the usual long list of LTE bands; I couldn't reach Rogers Wireless; and Huawei support told me that all CLT-L04's should be the same, but I don't think that's the case here.

I was going to post this in the Huawei forum, but since it involves more of an AT&T frequency issue, and there's not much traffic over there, I thought it was better to post here.

Thank You,
    Ed

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Starting to think they all suck
    Feedback Score
    AT&T's main LTE band is now B2, most traffic flows over it and devices spend the most time camped on it. That being said, without B12, you'll notice a significant difference in coverage, particularly in fringe areas or buildings.

I wouldn't rock a device on AT&T without it.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    If you’re missing B12 it’s immediately a no-go. 2/4/5/12/14/30/66 is ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)

Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Feedback Score
    Thank you for the responses. I am using LTE Discovery to see what band is being used "live" but is there a way to see which bands the phone is actually capable of using? I'm getting conflicting information from the box the phone came in and Huawei. Thanks.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by erdonline View Post
    Thank you for the responses. I am using LTE Discovery to see what band is being used "live" but is there a way to see which bands the phone is actually capable of using? I'm getting conflicting information from the box the phone came in and Huawei. Thanks.
    You're best bet is to search the fcc website for the device and see the bands that were tested for it to use.

I know northwest Connecticut very well. You need band 12 and 14.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    You're best bet is to search the fcc website for the device and see the bands that were tested for it to use.

This is a submodel CLT-L04, with a Rogers Wireless app on it, and this Huawei phone wasn't sold in the U.S., so I don't know that I'd find it on the FCC website. I had first read that this model was Canadian, and then that it was for use on Bell Mobility, which would have used mostly the same frequencies as the international version. But it turns out it was from Rogers. I've also since read that this model was for sale in Mexico, as well. Huawei tells me that all CLT-L04's are the same, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

So far, my sister has had better service with it than her Umidigi phone. The Huawei is using band 4 at my house, where my Alcatel is using band 17, and when I cross the border into NY they both use band 2.

I would have posted this in the Huawei forum as well, but there seems to be little trafic over there. I guess it's worth a try.

Thanks

Device(s)
    i576, i355, i700+
    Carrier(s)
    MiKE
    Feedback Score
    If it was intended for Rogers then it definitely has band 12/17. Huawei lists the bands for the market it is intended for and omits the irrelevant bands, but this does not mean the phone is not equipped. The bands that might be missing are 14 and 30 but these two are not critical.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmccull View Post
    If it was intended for Rogers then it definitely has band 12/17. Huawei lists the bands for the market it is intended for and omits the irrelevant bands, but this does not mean the phone is not equipped. The bands that might be missing are 14 and 30 but these two are not critical.
    Well, that is encouraging, but what is curious is that according to LTE Discovery, the Huawei was on band 4 while my Alcatel Idol 5s was on 17. I'm going to take them to another area later and see which bands they are on.

I just has assumed that since the box listed only FDD 2,3,4,5,7 and 28, that that's the only LTE bands that the phone used. I had originally read that the CLT-L04 was only a Canadian model, but I have since read that it was used in Mexico as well. I wonder why they didn't just use the international model there as well. I did get a software update to 9.0, and then after that was installed it said 9.1 was available and got that update as well.

Thanks.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by erdonline View Post
    Well, that is encouraging, but what is curious is that according to LTE Discovery, the Huawei was on band 4 while my Alcatel Idol 5s was on 17. I'm going to take them to another area later and see which bands they are on.

I just has assumed that since the box listed only FDD 2,3,4,5,7 and 28, that that's the only LTE bands that the phone used. I had originally read that the CLT-L04 was only a Canadian model, but I have since read that it was used in Mexico as well. I wonder why they didn't just use the international model there as well. I did get a software update to 9.0, and then after that was installed it said 9.1 was available and got that update as well.

Thanks.
    Looks like it has 2, 4, 12/17.

http://phonedb.net/index.php?m=devic...awei_charlotte

Feedback Score
    Looks like it has 2, 4, 12/17.

http://phonedb.net/index.php?m=devic...awei_charlotte

I think I may have seen this but wasn't sure if it was accurate for two reasons: first, the box only lists FDD 2,3,4,5,7,28 (but an earlier responder says these are not necessarily the only bands) and second, using LTE Discovery, my Alcatel was using band while the Huawei was using band 4.

This is my sister's phone that I did the research for and ordered for her, and we'd prefer not to have to swap it out for the international model. She is very happy with the service so far, and says it's better than her Umidigi. I just wouldn't want her to lack service if she goes to another area or if she's actually on 3G and AT&T shuts down 3G in a few years.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, Verizon, AT$T
    Feedback Score
    One thing to keep in mind, is most of those "non-standard" phones will not get VoLTE on AT&T, which means it's using 3G for phone calls.

Personally for me that's a no-go right off the bat as 3G phone quality is trash now on AT&T.

Also, from my experience you WILL want a phone with Band 14/30 as having access to those bands alone are what's made even using AT&T an acceptable option for me in the first place.
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"
    Sprint: Premium Unlimited (for 100GB hotspot!)

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    AT&T currently uses bands 2, 4, 5, 12/17, 29, 30, 46, 48, and 66.

Coverage bands: 5 and 12/17

Capacity bands: [the rest]

Feedback Score
    OK, so using LTE Discovery has shown the phone did indeed use band 17, which is not listed on the box, so I guess I can trust the bands listed in several sites rather than only the ones on the box. I think it was using 2, 3, 4, and 5 as well. So I guess my sister will keep this one and not return it for the international model.

Thanks to everyone who contributed answers.

Feedback Score

I don't know why I didn't see it on the box, but the FCC ID is listed, though it has a different number of characters than the web site wants. Though through LTE Discovery and other answers, I think I've got it figured out that the phone will be ok on AT&T and its MVNO's.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    AT&T currently uses bands 2, 4, 5, 12/17, 29, 30, 46, 48, and 66.

Coverage bands: 5 and 12/17

Capacity bands: [the rest]
    You forgot 14 which is another coverage band, and normally has the best range and cleanest signal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast