Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Advise on a good AT&T tracfone to buy.

Device(s)
    LG V20,Google Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone-since 2005
    Feedback Score

Advise on a good AT&T tracfone to buy.

Going to take HP's advice and buy another phone carrier phone. Not being able to roam with TF is scary while traveling. My plan is to buy an AT&T phone, get on TF's Auto refill plan and just let the minutes build up. Only costs $6.50/ month so I think the cost is worth the safety. Also please advise how I can get a GSM (AT&T) phone. OOPS! also with a prepaid SIM (1500 min, TXT and data)
    Last edited by tlippy; 05-13-2020 at 10:16 AM. Reason: add on

Feedback Score
    The $39.99 Moto G6 might be a good one to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    The $39.99 refurb TracFone Moto G6 is back: https://www.ebay.com/itm/283685222093.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Like Boz1 suggested, buy the refurb Moto G6 for $39.99 and the preloaded AT&T BYOP SIM with 1200/1200/3GB for $49.99 . Activate the SIM, put it into the G6 and you're set for a year. The total cost is not much more than 12 months of Auto-refill alone.

Device(s)
    LG V20,Google Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone-since 2005
    Feedback Score
    Just made the buy. Thanks again

Device(s)
    LG V20,Google Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone-since 2005
    Feedback Score
    Another dumb question: The TF SIM on Ebay states: no physical card included. How does that work?

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tlippy View Post
    Another dumb question: The TF SIM on Ebay states: no physical card included. How does that work?
    The preloaded 1200/1200/3Gb should become available when the SIM is activated. That's assuming TF has corrected the problem of shipping out "blank" SIMs with nothing preloaded.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    It works the same way as an HSN bundle. The bundle's airtime is preloaded to the SIM installed in the phone HSN ships you.

Device(s)
    LG V20,Google Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone-since 2005
    Feedback Score
    How do I force TF to activate at&t towers?

Device(s)
    LG V20,Google Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone-since 2005
    Feedback Score
    OOPS !!!! Should have paid attention. The AIM Boz1 recommended is a GSM only SIM. Thanks again for helping

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    How do I force TF to activate at&t towers?
    You don`t force them. The G6 is a DL model (XT1925DL), so it has the radios for all three service providers. When you have the G6 you remove the pre-installed Verizon SIM and replace it with the pre-loaded AT&T BYOP SIM from e-Bay. Then you activate the G6 as a BYOP. DO NOT give them the IMEI of the G6 for they will not let you put a BYOP SIM in a Branded Tracfone.

Feedback Score
    Going to take HP's advice and buy another phone carrier phone. Not being able to roam with TF is scary while traveling. My plan is to buy an AT&T phone, get on TF's Auto refill plan and just let the minutes build up. Only costs $6.50/ month so I think the cost is worth the safety. Also please advise how I can get a GSM (AT&T) phone. OOPS! also with a prepaid SIM (1500 min, TXT and data)
    Ok, I have to ask:
    Am I understanding correctly that the ebay Moto G6 (recommended for purchase in this thread), with an AT&T BYOP sim installed, will roam?
    My understanding is (was) that no TF smartphone will roam....period.

I read the post as the OP wanting to be able to roam with a monthly TF plan.
    Perhaps I am mis-interpreting the question.

Thank you in advance.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribby1 View Post
    Ok, I have to ask:
    Am I understanding correctly that the ebay Moto G6 (recommended for purchase in this thread), with an AT&T BYOP sim installed, will roam?
    My understanding is (was) that no TF smartphone will roam....period.

Perhaps I am mis-interpreting the question.

Thank you in advance.
    I think what the person means is that it is recommended to travel with a selection of phones (or SIMs). For example, one on Verizon and one on AT&T. I think that's what the person meant by roaming. Actual roaming is not allowed with Tracfone smartphone SIMs. Some of the older feature phones could roam within their own technology (GSM or CDMA). Even so, it was still recommended to travel with one of each.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    I think what the person means is that it is recommended to travel with a selection of phones (or SIMs). For example, one on Verizon and one on AT&T. I think that's what the person meant by roaming. Actual roaming is not allowed with Tracfone smartphone SIMs. Some of the older feature phones could roam within their own technology (GSM or CDMA). Even so, it was still recommended to travel with one of each.
    Thank you, that makes a lot more sense.

Device(s)
    LG V20,Google Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone-since 2005
    Feedback Score
    This has been a taxing process !!! I bought the Moto 6 + an AT&T 1200 SIM. So far I have spent 2 hours trying to activate. Yesterday the final response was "You bought a Verizon Tracfone. You should have bought an unlocked phone. you cannot activate the Moto 6 Tracfone and use AT&T." Today I called Florida. After another hour, TF is sending me an AT&T new SIM. She said I will be able to activate it as an AT&T phone. We'll see

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    This has been a taxing process !!! I bought the Moto 6 + an AT&T 1200 SIM. So far I have spent 2 hours trying to activate. Yesterday the final response was "You bought a Verizon Tracfone. You should have bought an unlocked phone. you cannot activate the Moto 6 Tracfone and use AT&T." Today I called Florida. After another hour, TF is sending me an AT&T new SIM. She said I will be able to activate it as an AT&T phone. We'll see
    You should've been able to activate the AT&T BYOP SIM without any mentioning/involving the Moto G6. Then remove the original TF/Verizon SIM from the G6 and put the AT&T BYOP SIM into it. TF doesn't need to know about what you did.

I think what Tracfancier wrote in post #10 above " When you have the G6 you remove the pre-installed Verizon SIM and replace it with the pre-loaded AT&T BYOP SIM from e-Bay. Then you activate the G6 as a BYOP" sort of lead you astray. If/when you contact TF to activate the AT&T BYOP SIM, just tell them you want to activate the BYOP SIM, and not mention anything about the G6. You don't need to supply a phone's IMEI when activating an AT&T or T-mo BYOP SIM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast