Thread: Band Locking Experiences on AT&T

Feedback Score

Band Locking Experiences on AT&T

I am making a new thread to discuss band locking on AT&T and to discuss anything related to band locking that is within the forum rules.

Firstly, band locking is simply changing which frequency bands your device uses. It is just a series of values that include or exclude certain frequency bands. Simple.

Band locking is very comparable to other means of improving one's signal (like cellular boosters, device placement, device selection, etc) and is very much in the spirit of HoFo.

Here is my standpoint on the subject of band locking for those that might think there is something wrong with it-- importantly, band locking is not a taboo subject nor is there anything wrong with doing it. The burden of proof is on the one who would make any such claim. Anyone who argues otherwise must provide a very compelling argument and presentation of evidence. It can be performed with or without root access, so I'll spare whoever decides they will try to cop out with that non-argument. There is no jurisdiction on the planet that outlaws it, and it in no way violates any carriers terms of service. I am willing to change my mind if somebody can provide evidence to the contrary.

All that being said, I will start with my experience. I was able confirm that band 30 and band 14 are live in my area!

EDIT:
    It is worth mentioning that "band locking" is really just omitting bands from being used. To my knowledge, all devices ship with the full band capability of the shipping firmware. All that is happening with band locking is that unwanted bands are "locked" out of use.
    Last edited by HFNube; 05-13-2020 at 06:05 PM.

Device(s)
    LG V40 ThinQ
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HFNube View Post
    I am making a new thread to discuss band locking on AT&T and to discuss anything related to band locking that is within the forum rules.

Firstly, band locking is simply changing which frequency bands your device uses. It is just a series of values that include or exclude certain frequency bands. Simple.

Band locking is very comparable to other means of improving one's signal (like cellular boosters, device placement, device selection, etc) and is very much in the spirit of HoFo.

Here is my standpoint on the subject of band locking for those that might think there is something wrong with it-- importantly, band locking is not a taboo subject nor is there anything wrong with doing it. The burden of proof is on the one who would make any such claim. Anyone who argues otherwise must provide a very compelling argument and presentation of evidence. It can be performed with or without root access, so I'll spare whoever decides they will try to cop out with that non-argument. There is no jurisdiction on the planet that outlaws it, and it in no way violates any carriers terms of service. I am willing to change my mind if somebody can provide evidence to the contrary.

All that being said, I will start with my experience. I was able confirm that band 30 and band 14 are live in my area!

EDIT:
    It is worth mentioning that "band locking" is really just omitting bands from being used. To my knowledge, all devices ship with the full band capability of the shipping firmware. All that is happening with band locking is that unwanted bands are "locked" out of use.
    GREAT THREAD! Any suggestions for resources on band locking on an LGV40 unrooted and in general? Thanks.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    On rooted Qualcomm based phones I have been using Network Signal Guru in the Android play store. It allows me to toggle off and on bands. On my Nighthawk Hotspot I telnet in through the type C usb port and configure single bands or a group of bands I want lock on to. Here is the link for that. It's been posted in a different thread before.

https://mt-tech.fi/en/enable-manual-...etgear-mr1100/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by keeponkeepnon View Post
    GREAT THREAD! Any suggestions for resources on band locking on an LGV40 unrooted and in general? Thanks.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
    You'll want root to make it much easier. With root, you'll be able to use the app Network Signal Guru or the app Modem Capabilities. You're luck will vary depending on device, Android OS, security patch, etc. Sometimes one app works fine whereas the other won't work at all. You can unroot your device after you've made your band selection if you'd like.

Without root, you'll need a Qualcomm phone, computer, and QXDM demo software for Windows. The hard part is getting the modem driver to install. There is an HTC modem driver that works with a lot of phones. This method can be difficult and is not recommended.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Galaxy S20 Ultra 512 gb,pixel 3a , iPhone xr ,iPad 6th gen
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T,Verizon,sprint
    Feedback Score
    If you have a samsung look on The play store for Samsung band lock and an app will come up for band locking I use it al time no rooting any thing

Galaxy S20 ultra 512 gb, iPhone XR, pixel 3a, highest Speedtest 320mbps