Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tracfone giveth and taketh away....

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

Tracfone giveth and taketh away....

After 2 years of trying to activate VoLTE on my iPhone SE (1st gen) I finally talked to someone who was able to do it. This happened on April 30, 2020. I had to switch SIMs to the one I received with the 1 year card I bought on eBay a month or two ago but he said I could keep TMFL. Today I added airtime to my phone via the app on the phone. The card was added but my VoLTE was taken away. There was a very quick pop up saying Tracfone turned off VoLTE (or something to that effect). I had VoLTE for a total of 13 days. Spent over an hour today trying to get it back with the usual incompetence...1st call was disconnected during the 3rd transfer to another CSR. Called back a short time later and couldn't understand ANY of the CSRs I spoke with, but the 3rd one tried his best to blame my iPhone, then my 2 month old SIM. That's when I hung up on them. I'll learn to be happy without VoLTE.
    Roadtrip

Feedback Score
    There is someone else on here with the same problem. Adding airtime messes everything up.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    There is someone else on here with the same problem. Adding airtime messes everything up.
    Wasn`t that Lappers?

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, I think so. He also had problems with visual voicemail coming back after he got it changed back to basic voicemail.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    - - Try Chat with a TF CS rep - you may have better success as there is no language barrier - they should ask for

your IMEI and SIM card #.

- - Assume you’ve gone to the phone settings > cellular > data roaming > VoLTE / voice and data ON.

- - Assume Verizon service ? Maybe you had VoLTE on ATT ? Anyhow, the newer SIM card should enable VoLTE

- - do you have an extra APN Profile installed ? If so, Might try deleting it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by roadtrip View Post
    After 2 years of trying to activate VoLTE on my iPhone SE (1st gen) I finally talked to someone who was able to do it. This happened on April 30, 2020. I had to switch SIMs to the one I received with the 1 year card I bought on eBay a month or two ago but he said I could keep TMFL. Today I added airtime to my phone via the app on the phone. The card was added but my VoLTE was taken away. There was a very quick pop up saying Tracfone turned off VoLTE (or something to that effect). I had VoLTE for a total of 13 days. Spent over an hour today trying to get it back with the usual incompetence...1st call was disconnected during the 3rd transfer to another CSR. Called back a short time later and couldn't understand ANY of the CSRs I spoke with, but the 3rd one tried his best to blame my iPhone, then my 2 month old SIM. That's when I hung up on them. I'll learn to be happy without VoLTE.
    Which carrier do you use? If it is AT&T, they are notorious for disabling VoLTE on MVNOs. With Verizon the service will not activate without VoLTE on the phone. Verizon wants everyone on VoLTE. Can you switch to Verizon? That would just be a new SIM and a simple transfer of number and service.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trek83 View Post
    - - Try Chat with a TF CS rep - you may have better success as there is no language barrier - they should ask for

your IMEI and SIM card #.

- - Assume you’ve gone to the phone settings > cellular > data roaming > VoLTE / voice and data ON.

- - Assume Verizon service ? Maybe you had VoLTE on ATT ? Anyhow, the newer SIM card should enable VoLTE

- - do you have an extra APN Profile installed ? If so, Might try deleting it.
    I tried chat first, thinking it would be a simple fix. Evidently it wasn't...at least for that CSR. He did ask for my IMEI and SIM numbers (last 4 digits). When that failed I called the Miami number 800-876-5753 since I found someone there that activated it in the first place.

Went to Settings>>>LTE, VoLTE On and had the spinning wheel. Check mark next to LTE, VoLTE Off. Powered off and back on, reset network settings but still had the spinning wheel, like it wanted to activate but couldn't.

Yep, it's Verizon, always has been. The newer SIM card did enable VoLTE.

No extra APN profiles installed, although the CSR on the phone told me to d/l a new APN from ivzwinternet.tracfone.com. When I went to the d/l it was expired since 2017 (IIRC). Plus, I had tried that source over the 2 years I was trying and it never allowed VoLTE.

Thanks for all of the suggestions though trek83. I appreciate every reply because there could always be something I hadn't thought of.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Which carrier do you use? If it is AT&T, they are notorious for disabling VoLTE on MVNOs. With Verizon the service will not activate without VoLTE on the phone. Verizon wants everyone on VoLTE. Can you switch to Verizon? That would just be a new SIM and a simple transfer of number and service.
    I've only been with TracFone Verizon (and no other TracFone network) since I left Verizon proper in 2014. Bought a bundle from HSN for a year of service and an LG39c. Bought my iPhone SE in 2016 and transferred phone number and balance to that with no problems at all.

I don't use enough minutes, texts or data to justify a $40/month bill from Verizon, or ANY amount monthly for that matter. I like buying once when needed and forgetting about it until the balance(s) get low. I just wish TracFone would train their CSRs to do more than they're currently capable of (which isn't much).

Anyway, thanks bobdevnul. At least I have LTE for data when needed. Maybe I don't need it for voice after all .

Feedback Score
    I've only been with TracFone Verizon (and no other TracFone network) since I left Verizon proper in 2014. Bought a bundle from HSN for a year of service and an LG39c. Bought my iPhone SE in 2016 and transferred phone number and balance to that with no problems at all.

I don't use enough minutes, texts or data to justify a $40/month bill from Verizon, or ANY amount monthly for that matter. I like buying once when needed and forgetting about it until the balance(s) get low. I just wish TracFone would train their CSRs to do more than they're currently capable of (which isn't much).

Anyway, thanks bobdevnul. At least I have LTE for data when needed. Maybe I don't need it for voice after all .
    Yeah, I have used Tracfone since 2002. I only use about 10 MB, 10 call minutes, 10 texts a month so there is no point in paying a monthly bill for more that I wouldn't use.

So your SE is still working with Verizon with CDMA voice? Verizon is shutting down CDMA voice at the end of this year.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Yeah, I have used Tracfone since 2002. I only use about 10 MB, 10 call minutes, 10 texts a month so there is no point in paying a monthly bill for more that I wouldn't use.

So your SE is still working with Verizon with CDMA voice? Verizon is shutting down CDMA voice at the end of this year.
    Yep, I can still make and receive calls with no problems. If Tracfone can't reactivate VoLTE when CDMA goes away I guess I'll have to look elsewhere. The thing is, VoLTE WAS activated on the SIM currently in the phone. One CSR I spoke with said he was working from home, so maybe once the current worldly problem settles down I'll be able to get some real help from the upper echelon at Tracfone.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Yep, I can still make and receive calls with no problems. If Tracfone can't reactivate VoLTE when CDMA goes away I guess I'll have to look elsewhere. The thing is, VoLTE WAS activated on the SIM currently in the phone. One CSR I spoke with said he was working from home, so maybe once the current worldly problem settles down I'll be able to get some real help from the upper echelon at Tracfone.
    Strange......

At some point I suppose you will get a different phone........and hopefully VoLTE will work.......it will have to by January

2021, as I understand things. But something is not provisioned correctly on your TF account IMHO.

Sounds like TF is a great fit for your usage. It certainly is for mine. A new SIM and the correct IMEI got VoLTE a few

a years ago for me on TF Verizon on an iPhone 6.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trek83 View Post
    Strange......

At some point I suppose you will get a different phone........and hopefully VoLTE will work.......it will have to by January

2021, as I understand things. But something is not provisioned correctly on your TF account IMHO.

Sounds like TF is a great fit for your usage. It certainly is for mine. A new SIM and the correct IMEI got VoLTE a few

a years ago for me on TF Verizon on an iPhone 6.
    Yeah, it took a new SIM (and the IMEI must have been good) to get it for me too but it went away when I added a service card. I have only used smart cards and basic cards for airtime but this time I used one of those new 30 day unlimited voice & text & 3 GB data cards. When I checked my balance on the iPhone app it read 3 GB data, UNL minutes and UNL texts. When I clicked on "More" I got a drop down with my previous balances. The new amounts said "Current Plan" above the balances, and the old amounts said "Other Plan" above the balances. Maybe VoLTE wasn't activated on the new "Current Plan"? Since it will be used first, maybe I'll get VoLTE back in 30 days when it reverts to the "Older Plan". Doesn't make sense since the VoLTE seems to be a function of the SIM card, not the choice of plans.

Guess this is just a waiting game AND a guessing game...

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Did you check to see if it somehow got turned off in the phone`s settings?

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Did you check to see if it somehow got turned off in the phone`s settings?
    First thing I checked.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Just noticed a PM I received yesterday, it was from AlexTrac! He's ("it's" in case it's a bot) still around. He was kind enough to send me a link so I can get this issue resolved. Now, I knew where the link was going to take me but I clicked on it anyway just to humor myself. Tracfone "Contact Us" page popped up - I guess he wanted me to click on that chat button (even though that was the first thing I did when I discovered VoLTE was deactivated).

Did the SIM switch with my wife's iPhone just to check my SIM and sure enough, when it is in her phone, she doesn't have VoLTE either. Her SIM in mine gives me VoLTE. When I put them back, she's got it and I don't.

Hope they figure out how to fix this by December 2021

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast