Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LG 306G Upgrade with 3G shutting down?

Feedback Score

LG 306G Upgrade with 3G shutting down?

I currently am on Net10 Easy Minutes 200 Minutes $15/mo plan with my LG 306G. AT&T SIM.

It’s getting older even though it works fine.

It’s a family phone and I’d like to get some sort of backup that is more like it or a brick/flip phone if need be.

Oddly it seems like local stores like my Walmart claim to not have any Net10 phones in stock and Net10 says have to buy a plan with but I have already like 14,000 minutes and like 90 service days.

I know Net10 gave me a free upgrade when my phone was 2G to 3G, but will Net10 do that for 4G?

I want to buy just a simple phone without a plan but not sure why every place I look online has little to no Net10 Phones.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Tracfone started removing Net10 phones from physical stores more than a year ago. It's hard to find them locally now.

Feedback Score
    You are in a tough spot. As far as I can tell, you will need to stay with a 3G phone in order to stay with your plan. Everything is "smartphone" now, with monthly plans, even for the MyFlip. That is deceiving because it looks like a legacy flip phone but it uses monthly plans if used on Net10.

The retail market has probably phased out new 3G phones unless you can find them on the secondary market.

You could sell the phone you have now and get something different. There are companies that feature Talk plans and combined with a "modern" phone would offer you more features. Such as being able to use WiFi for phone calls.

So think about upgrading sooner rather than later.

Feedback Score
    I guess I am going to have to try and find an unlocked or possibly Net10 Android.

I remember a while back, an agent claims I can get my plan on to an Android but at the time, all I had was a Tracfone Alcatel Raven, which the agent couldn't get to switch over to Net10.

Another agent said I can use an unlocked Android but not sure where to just get a decent cheap unlocked one. It's a phone barely used.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPenguin View Post
    I guess I am going to have to try and find an unlocked or possibly Net10 Android.

I remember a while back, an agent claims I can get my plan on to an Android but at the time, all I had was a Tracfone Alcatel Raven, which the agent couldn't get to switch over to Net10.

Another agent said I can use an unlocked Android but not sure where to just get a decent cheap unlocked one. It's a phone barely used.
    I don't know why that agent couldn't get your Tracfone Alcatel Raven to work on Net10 AT&T. The Raven is a GSM Android phone, which should work with an AT&T and T-mo SIM.

Currently, TF is selling the refurbished Moto G6 on Ebay for $39.99. It has both GSM and CDMA radios, so it'll work with AT&T, T-mo, and Verizon. It'll come with a TF/Verizon SIM, but you should be able to have a rep "re-brand" it to work with a Net10 AT&T SIM.

Feedback Score
    I think the main issue is whether the current "one bucket" can be passed on to a smartphone on Net10. I'm guessing not. There wouldn't be a way to continue a "one bucket" plan. In fact, when I went to the Net10 website, the link for the paygo plans didn't work on one of the plans pages. They may be phasing out the plans and the website is Tracfone-typically woeful. The FAQs are useless. I'm guessing the CSRs won't have a clue either.

In any case, the writer's current plan is far too expensive and unnecessary, and needs to be dealt with.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    You are paying $180 per year for airtime and not using all of it, Why? Tracfone has 500 minutes talk/500 text/500 MB data/30 days for $14.25 (per month). But better yet, HSN is selling two Tracfone phone bundles, LG Rebel 4 and LG Premiere Pro for $49.99 that come with 1500 minutes, 1500 texts, and 1500MB data + 365 days of service. Then you can add at any time 500 minutes for $10, 1000 text for $5, and 1GB data for $10. Promo codes add to the three totals. You never lose unused airtime as long as the days do not run out.
    https://www.hsn.com/shop/tracfone-ce...1&scroll=false
    Depending on your service provider you can activate the bundle and then transfer it to a really nice phone like the mid-range Moto G6 for $39.99 from the Tracfone e-Bay store ($90.00 new). https://www.ebay.com/itm/283685222093
    You need to be looking at how much you will be spending vs saving and not the N10 airtime you will be losing by changing to Tracfone. You may be paying a premium to hold on to the N10 airtime.
    There are more details I have not covered that might convince you to move to Tracfone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    You are paying $180 per year for airtime and not using all of it, Why? Tracfone has 500 minutes talk/500 text/500 MB data/30 days for $14.25 (per month). But better yet, HSN is selling two Tracfone phone bundles, LG Rebel 4 and LG Premiere Pro for $49.99 that come with 1500 minutes, 1500 texts, and 1500MB data + 365 days of service. Then you can add at any time 500 minutes for $10, 1000 text for $5, and 1GB data for $10. Promo codes add to the three totals. You never lose unused airtime as long as the days do not run out.
    https://www.hsn.com/shop/tracfone-ce...1&scroll=false
    Depending on your service provider you can activate the bundle and then transfer it to a really nice phone like the mid-range Moto G6 for $39.99 from the Tracfone e-Bay store ($90.00 new). https://www.ebay.com/itm/283685222093
    You need to be looking at how much you will be spending vs saving and not the N10 airtime you will be losing by changing to Tracfone. You may be paying a premium to hold on to the N10 airtime.
    There are more details I have not covered that might convince you to move to Tracfone.
    You bring up a lot of great points.

I wonder though if I could get my Tracfone Alcatel Ravens to activate for the Net10 $20 Unlimited.

I noticed it appears to be the same price/specs as Tracfones and I have enough Net10 Rewards Points to get two free months already.

I figure then I could just easily use the LG Net10 Phone as a home phone and just use the minutes up since it does have like 3-4 months left.

Feedback Score
    RedPenguin, how many minutes per month do you actually use?

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    $20 x 12 months is $240 per year with unlimited vs $50 for airtime and a free phone each year.
    Yet you say you have 14,000 minutes built up... how much are you actually using a month?

Feedback Score
    I'd say on average, I probably use maybe 40 minutes on a slow month, but I did have a month or two recently that was like 220 or so.

I'd say I probably never really had a month that I went over 300 though.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I'd say on average, I probably use maybe 40 minutes on a slow month, but I did have a month or two recently that was like 220 or so.

I'd say I probably never really had a month that I went over 300 though.
    A bundled phone + 1200/1200/1200/1-year for around $49.99-$59.9 on HSN or QVC should fit your needs. Most of them now use Verizon. If you must have AT&T, buy an unlocked or TF-branded "DL" (GSM & CDMA) phone like the refurb Moto G6 for $39.99 and a TF/AT&F BYOP SIM preloaded with 1200/1200/3GB/1-yr for $49.99 on Ebay.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    A bundled phone + 1200/1200/1200/1-year for around $49.99-$59.9 on HSN or QVC should fit your needs. Most of them now use Verizon. If you must have AT&T, buy an unlocked or TF-branded "DL" (GSM & CDMA) phone like the refurb Moto G6 for $39.99 and a TF/AT&F BYOP SIM preloaded with 1200/1200/3GB/1-yr for $49.99 on Ebay.
    Thanks for the info.

Now I just have to decide, which is the better route for me.

See, while I do use very little minutes for talk/text, I really would like some data. Also, I wanted a cell that could do more like run some Retail Apps.

I have wanted data for quite some time now, but it seemed like with data for many years was $30-$45+ plans but now even $15 plans have data.

I like the 1200 bundles but trying to see if it makes more sense to activate my Raven with the $14.25 plan and let the data carryover until I have a nice amount.

I'm not looking to stream music or videos over the data, I just would like it for stuff like Fast Food & Retail Apps that require Internet for certain offers or to search for an item. (Sometimes I use Public Wifi for such things but it's not always practical like in a drive thru).

I am rather surprised by the $14.25 plan because I know for years it was $15 just for 1GB of Data (Hotspot) on Straight Talk, so $15/$14.25 for 500/500/500 seems rather impressive.

Feedback Score
    I think that reduce/reuse/recycle would be best for the budget for the time being with things today. Also, until someone gets more familiar/comfortable with the options. Just my 2 cents if someone has been "out of the loop" for a while.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    See, while I do use very little minutes for talk/text, I really would like some data. Also, I wanted a cell that could do more like run some Retail Apps.
    You can buy add-on Data for $10 per 1GB. The Data balance carries forward just like minutes and texts. With TF nowadays, you can buy add-on minutes, or text, or data as you need.

The Moto G6 has plenty of processing power to run apps. A TF-branded phone does not preclude you from running any apps available on Google Play store.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast