Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Considering Using $55 Unlimited Plan for Home Internet

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s, LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon
    Feedback Score

Question Considering Using $55 Unlimited Plan for Home Internet

Having only 1.5mbps DSL as the only option where I live I'm sick of it. Verizon LTE gets 35mbps+ here easy so I was thinking of getting a StraightTalk-Verizon account with the $55 unlimited plan to use as home internet via a old verizon phone rooted for hotspot then bridge that hotspot to the wan side of my home router.

Now if I did no streaming I know I'd stay under 60GB a month. But if I were to watch youtube every night I'm sure it would go over. What happens when you go over? If they cancel the account can't I just get another SIM and make a new account every time? I am aware I'd need a new IMEI every time too, but 2nd time around (and more) I'd probably just go with the AT&T side to avoid providing a IMEI...

Wouldn't need to consider this if CenturyLink had used their government grants and tax breaks to expand broadband where I live instead of using it for corporate bonuses.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...red-broadband/

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...networks.shtml
    Personal: Sprint Apple iPhone 6s (A1688) on Sprint Post Paid SERO Premium SWAC Plus running iOS 13.4.1 with Sprint 41.0 and PRL 55072 and modem firmware 7.51.01 and SIM card version 63.09a
    Work: Verizon LG G2

Device(s)
    Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score
    If you have good ATT in the area you can get $35-40 a month unlimited.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s, LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBooMY View Post
    If you have good ATT in the area you can get $35-40 a month unlimited.
    From who? ATT direct? I don't mind post paid but I don't want a contract...

AT&T runs 15mbps here which is decent. T-Mobile only has B12 and maybe B71 here so need too new of equipment for them. No Sprint at all.

Device(s)
    Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score
    You can use an ATT iPad plan on a hotspot. I've done it twice for friends. Very easy and semi cheap. Just have to get a hotspot. I use a Netgear MR1100 M1 unit myself.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s, LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I'm reading that StraightTalk is throttled on Verizon at 5mbps/2mbps and on AT&T it's not throttled at all. So I'd be going with the AT&T ST not the Verizon.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Straight Talk limits hotspot data to 10GB with the true $55 plan. I have heard that they are giving 20GB during COVID-19. Plus you need to use Verizon or T-Mobile based SIMs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techguru View Post
    Wouldn't need to consider this if CenturyLink had used their government grants and tax breaks to expand broadband where I live instead of using it for corporate bonuses.
    You must live near me. Rural west of Tucson. Century Link DSL and I'm lucky to get 1 mbps. Couple years ago CenturyLink repair guy said they got the gov. money and were suppose to improve. Last I saw him he said they're now not doing it, didn't know why. The infrastructure bill's suppose to have even more $ for the companies to expand rural broadband. Good luck with that.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    You must live near me. Rural west of Tucson. Century Link DSL and I'm lucky to get 1 mbps. Couple years ago CenturyLink repair guy said they got the gov. money and were suppose to improve. Last I saw him he said they're now not doing it, didn't know why. The infrastructure bill's suppose to have even more $ for the companies to expand rural broadband. Good luck with that.
    I have CenturyLink too, but I am getting around 13Mbps here. I am in western Iowa on the old USWest/Qwest system tho.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s, LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    Straight Talk limits hotspot data to 10GB with the true $55 plan. I have heard that they are giving 20GB during COVID-19. Plus you need to use Verizon or T-Mobile based SIMs.
    Totally irrelevant with a rooted phone.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s, LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Nope, Texas. CenturyLink is crap everywhere it seems. The problem is no oversight on how the funds are being used and allowing ISP's to self report broadband availability instead of using a 3rd party auditor.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s, LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I have CenturyLink too, but I am getting around 13Mbps here. I am in western Iowa on the old USWest/Qwest system tho.
    13mbps still don't even meet the 25mbps/3mbps FCC definition of "broadband".

Feedback Score
    The difference lies in your rural area. 4 miles from me they have higher Mbps . But my side of the road isn't served with fiber or something, so can't handle more then 1.5.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techguru View Post
    Having only 1.5mbps DSL as the only option where I live I'm sick of it. Verizon LTE gets 35mbps+ here easy so I was thinking of getting a StraightTalk-Verizon account with the $55 unlimited plan to use as home internet via a old verizon phone rooted for hotspot then bridge that hotspot to the wan side of my home router.

Now if I did no streaming I know I'd stay under 60GB a month. But if I were to watch youtube every night I'm sure it would go over. What happens when you go over? If they cancel the account can't I just get another SIM and make a new account every time? I am aware I'd need a new IMEI every time too, but 2nd time around (and more) I'd probably just go with the AT&T side to avoid providing a IMEI... ...
    Have you looked at (Verizon) Visible? The hotspot is unlimited for $40 a month, $25 if you join a 4-party group. I doubt that StraightTalk will put up with use in the 50 GB range under the Reasonable Use clause.

The Visible plan details say that you are limited to 1 connected device and throttled to 5 Mbps. Their are reports that neither are being observed. 5 Mbps isn't terrible bad. That's all I had from cable for years and it was no problem for non-streaming uses. It will also stream up to HD video if you can put up with a bit of buffering to get a stream started. I streamed a lot of Netflix and Roku stuff on 5 Mbps. 1 connected device is easy to get around with a Wifi range extender (repeater bridge).

If your old Verizon phone is not VoLTE capable, you will not be able to activate it on any Verizon service even though you don't plan to use it for voice. It's possible you could activate service with an allowed phone then move the SIM to the old phone.

My usage with non-streaming use and an hour or two of YouTube streaming every night is 50-100 GB a month.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    The difference lies in your rural area. 4 miles from me they have higher Mbps . But my side of the road isn't served with fiber or something, so can't handle more then 1.5.
    Funny thing is my DSLAM/building is only 800 feet of cable. I can go out my front or back door of my house, and see where the main building is.

Device(s)
    Moto E4 XT1768
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBooMY View Post
    You can use an ATT iPad plan on a hotspot. I've done it twice for friends. Very easy and semi cheap. Just have to get a hotspot. I use a Netgear MR1100 M1 unit myself.

According to the unlimited iPad plan thread on the ATT forum, it looks like they're cracking down on that type of usage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast