Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Unlocked/Rooted phone on TF?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    my Moto G5s plus doesn't have NFC, however if i dial the *#*#4636#*#* there is a NFC settings option that when pressed tries to access the NFC settings but doesn't do anything. just get a white screen and quickly exits.
    Yes, I understand that some MODELS don't have NFC. But the statement I questioned was that some BRANDS don't. I was just trying to verify, because all brands that I'm aware of have at least some models with NFC.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Yes, I understand that some MODELS don't have NFC. But the statement I questioned was that some BRANDS don't. I was just trying to verify, because all brands that I'm aware of have at least some models with NFC.
    BLU cuts features from their phones to keep them cheap. I just used the Phone Finder feature at gsmarena.com and none of their models (since 2017) has NFC.

Carrier(s)
    tracfone
    Feedback Score
    After all of my research into phones, I am becoming disillusioned.
    Many of the newer models do not include a 3.5mm headphone jack - something I will not do without.
    At this point, I am reevaluating my current phone. If the battery is still holding a charge for a reasonable amount of time, and everything else is working, perhaps I should stick with it until it really stops working. I can purchase a new 1yr activation and data/minutes/texts for TF on Amazon or other seller at a good price. I recall last year finding a really good deal by asking here. I have all the purchase docs from last year, so I think the first place I would go is where I bought from last year.
    If my phone does decide to quit, or I should find a 'deal I cannot refuse' on a newer phone, I can always move my TF account onto that phone without purchasing any more time/data.

I was planning to wait for Amazon Prime day - which is being postponed until September this year. I think I can wait that long. That said, it is not all that likely I am going to find the perfect phone for my needs/wants on sale.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ultrarunner2015 View Post
    After all of my research into phones, I am becoming disillusioned.
    Many of the newer models do not include a 3.5mm headphone jack - something I will not do without.
    At this point, I am reevaluating my current phone. If the battery is still holding a charge for a reasonable amount of time, and everything else is working, perhaps I should stick with it until it really stops working. I can purchase a new 1yr activation and data/minutes/texts for TF on Amazon or other seller at a good price. I recall last year finding a really good deal by asking here. I have all the purchase docs from last year, so I think the first place I would go is where I bought from last year.
    If my phone does decide to quit, or I should find a 'deal I cannot refuse' on a newer phone, I can always move my TF account onto that phone without purchasing any more time/data.

I was planning to wait for Amazon Prime day - which is being postponed until September this year. I think I can wait that long. That said, it is not all that likely I am going to find the perfect phone for my needs/wants on sale.
    Maybe this is required: https://slickdeals.net/f/14163920-go...?src=frontpage

Carrier(s)
    tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    I was wondering whether there was an adapter to use a 3.5mm headphone on a USB port. But I didn't think that the phones without 3.5mm jacks would have a DAC. That said, I was not aware that analog audio was available on the USB port.
    In any case, I would not expect a phone without a 3.5mm headphone jack to have a good DAC. Probably something that would suffice for listening to audiobooks, but not music - at least not high quality.

Edit: From what I have just read, it's a hit or miss situation. Some phones provide analog audio over USB, while others do not - requiring a much more expensive dongle with a DAC, and then, it's not going to be the high quality DAC I am expecting.
    In the end, I am going to keep my life simple, and stick with a phone that still has the 3.5mm jack.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    It'll be the midrange and lower devices that keep the 3.5mm jack. Most all the top end stuff has dropped or intends to drop that very useful feature, whether Android or iPhone.

Also, even existing phones with a jack wouldn't have what could be described as a "high quality" DAC. That's open to interpretation, I suppose.

Feedback Score
    I got a dongle for my (not an i)Phone. The cheapo one I got from eBay had an audible hiss as soon as there was any audio. Based on web reviews, I bought the Apple one. It's $10, was measured to have flat frequency response, and sounds good to me.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    Also, even existing phones with a jack wouldn't have what could be described as a "high quality" DAC. That's open to interpretation, I suppose.
    That depends on the phone. I have an LG Q7+ and it has LG Quad DAC . Other high-end LG models have it too.

Name:  LG-Q7-Quad-DAC.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  29.5 KB

Carrier(s)
    tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I've been watching the LG G8S ThinQ and others that have that 24 bit quad DAC. Not sure I want to spend $500 on a phone, but I think there is a less expensive model that also has the same DAC - just not sure it is Verizon (I'm on TF, but uses VZW network here in NJ) compatible.

Carrier(s)
    tracfone
    Feedback Score
    OK. So forget the 3.5mm jack. I just ordered a pair of wireless cans, so won't be needing it.
    That said, is there any way I can determine whether a particular phone will be compatible with TracFone - before I purchase the phone?
    TF has an app to tell you if your phone is compatible, but it requires you to input the IMEI/MEID code and zipcode.
    I know for a fact that TF is running on Verizon in my area (and all of the eastern US if I am not wrong), so that should mean that any CDMA/LTE phone will work. Am I wrong about this?

I don't want to buy a new phone, only to find it incompatible with TracFone.

Thanks
    Ultrarunner

Feedback Score
    OK. So forget the 3.5mm jack. I just ordered a pair of wireless cans, so won't be needing it.
    That said, is there any way I can determine whether a particular phone will be compatible with TracFone - before I purchase the phone?
    TF has an app to tell you if your phone is compatible, but it requires you to input the IMEI/MEID code and zipcode.
    I know for a fact that TF is running on Verizon in my area (and all of the eastern US if I am not wrong), so that should mean that any CDMA/LTE phone will work. Am I wrong about this?

I don't want to buy a new phone, only to find it incompatible with TracFone.
    Forget CDMA for Verizon. It is no longer relevant. What you need is a 4G LTE phone that is compatible with Verizon VoLTE. Any Verizon branded 4G LTE phone sold in the last 2+ years has VoLTE and will work with Tracfone. Unbranded carrier agnostic phones, like some of the Moto E and G series will also work.

Feedback Score
    U.S. version of the phone, factory unlocked. Check out the specs on phonemore.com.

Feedback Score
    You're incorrect about TF/Vzw running on all of the eastern US. If it's BYOP TF will work on any (Vzw, ATT,TM) network you want as long as you get a good signal for that network in your area. If you buy a phone from them it'll likely be Vzw. But if it's a BYOP you can pick who you want if you know they're better in your area. As @bobdevnul said, VoLTE is what you're looking for, plus the bands for the network you want.
    For th extra $, as @Lisme said, factory unlocked is the way to go.

Carrier(s)
    tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Thanks guys;
    I have never owned an unlocked phone, so I wouldn't know that I could use any network with TF. That said, I believe VZW is still the best in my area. Perhaps that could change sometime next year if I leave NJ, but I will most likely stay somewhere in the northeast.
    I'll check out phonemore.com

Carrier(s)
    tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I just had a chat with TracFone. I was told that all unlocked phones are GSM. Is that true? I thought I found an unlocked LG G8S ThinQ CDMA 4G LTE on Amazon.
    I was also told that if I want to use an unlocked phone with TracFone, I need to buy a BYOP Sim Card. This is just a blank SIM card which will be programmed when I activate the phone on TF.

Edit: That Moto G7 on TF Ebay store is the Optimo Maxx 4G LTE. Price is $120, but it does not come with bundled service/time.
    Perhaps it is worth the extra cost to go with this one?
    Last edited by ultrarunner2015; Yesterday at 06:56 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast