Thread: Headset and battery drain question

Feedback Score

Headset and battery drain question

I thought it might not be appropriate to post this question here but didn't know where else.

I'd like to get an over the head Bluetooth headset for use with my phones, that has an alternate jack for wired use with things that don't do Bluetooth.

Question: If I got wired over the head headphones, which would drain the phone battery more, using a wired headset with talk microphone or the Bluetooth connection for a Bluetooth headset?

I saw a Magnavox wired set with microphone for $12. Also a Magnavox Bluetooth headset for 19.99 that looked clean, basic with microphone but looked for it on Google and no mention anywhere of a wired option.

I don't want the Bluetooth to have unnecessary things like a radio or SD card slot, just a microphone for talk and the wired option. Problem is most that I'm looking at have radio and card slot, which means too many control buttons. I want to keep it simple.

My reason for wanting ear muff headphones instead of buds is that I have hand and wrist issues that make it difficult and painful to insert ear buds, otherwise I'd be ok with the set i got free with my TF bundle. Headphones are easy to put on and take off.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Someone else may chime in but I don't remember seeing over the ear headsets that have both wired and bluetooth that have microphone capability in wired mode. Finding them without radio and sd card slot should not be hard to find. You can do a search for something like the Mpow 059 for somewhere around $35.

I have used both with my phone and did not see a big difference in battery use.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cv91913 View Post
    Someone else may chime in but I don't remember seeing over the ear headsets that have both wired and bluetooth that have microphone capability in wired mode. Finding them without radio and sd card slot should not be hard to find. You can do a search for something like the Mpow 059 for somewhere around $35.

I have used both with my phone and did not see a big difference in battery use.
    Thanks for commenting.

No, the Bluetooth that are wired say the optional wired mode is just a connector and no microphone on the wire, it's on the headset itself. I just thought it would be more functional to have a wired and Bluetooth option.

The 12.00 headset i mentioned wasn't Bluetooth, only wired. The 19.99 headset didn't mention if it had a 3.5mm jack/wire option.

Also found a Beyution Bluetooth headset for 13.99 that also has optional wire operation and the wire is included. Those don't seem to have radios or card slots, just microphone and music player controls. Simpler seems best.

There are so many but I don't recognize the brand names. Only recognize ones like Magnavox, Sony, Panasonic, etc. So many have insufficient reviews.

My current wired headphones are JVC and Behringer. They have no microphone function but are too big to want to plug them into a cellphone. I use those for TV and radio.

I figure smaller magnets should use less power. The Panasonic models I'm looking at have 32mm and 40mm magnets though which isn't real small.

Feedback Score
    I did find Bluetooth MBH542 Panasonic users manual download that does say it has a wired option. I'm liking its compact design but worried the folding hinges creates weak points due to other headset reviews that said the folding parts broke.

I don't expect to use them much but when I do need them, versatility of wired/wireless could be good.