Thread: Grandfathered plans being eliminated??? - Round 2

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Grandfathered plans being eliminated??? - Round 2

Old thread closed due to age and large size. Please continue discussion here.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by phelme
    has anyone ported out and back recently? is 90 days still the window they use for potentially keeping one's plan?
    I couldn't find a recent statement about the 90 day period. But if you ported away recently just call them back with your old account info and see if you can reactivate your plan. Some very old grandfathered plans (like tzones) may be difficult if not impossible to retrieve.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S10 (G9730), Sony Xperia XZ2, Lumia 950 XL (Red Pocket)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Google Fi (2nd SIM slot)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    I couldn't find a recent statement about the 90 day period. But if you ported away recently just call them back with your old account info and see if you can reactivate your plan. Some very old grandfathered plans (like tzones) may be difficult if not impossible to retrieve.
    mine is from 2003, Nationwide Talk & Text (T-Zones is built-in). Guess I could try to add a line to it first, to keep it around. Not sure they'll do that at this point.

Feedback Score
    They will have to pry mine from my cold dead hands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I doubt there is any news on this since it was apparently a leaked memo that mentioned gUDP was to be discontinued this year. That was before COVID, so I'm not sure Verizon wants bad publicity for yanking people's plans right now.

Although with the pathetic 3.8 Mbps video throttle, I wouldn't miss my gUDP plan too much. It's still cheaper than the current plans though. Even without deprioritization, the gUDP can slow to a crawl on congested sites.

I'll probably hold out until gUDP gets canned, at which point I'll see if Verizon has made any progress in rural coverage to see if they're worth staying with.

If gUDP stays around, I'll probably just keep rolling with it since it saves some money over the modern plans.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cnotes20191 View Post
    They will have to pry mine from my cold dead hands
    Don't give them any ideas.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by phelme View Post
    mine is from 2003, Nationwide Talk & Text (T-Zones is built-in). Guess I could try to add a line to it first, to keep it around. Not sure they'll do that at this point.
    Yes, let us know what you try.

I'm still surprised they keep blocking new branded Android devices from T-zones as they are released. After awhile, one would think they'd see it wasn't worth the effort since people are using international devices or devices from less popular manufacturers to keep using tzones.

Feedback Score
    How old is my plan?

Select Choice Unl TT+D 25

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Yes, let us know what you try.

I'm still surprised they keep blocking new branded Android devices from T-zones as they are released. After awhile, one would think they'd see it wasn't worth the effort since people are using international devices or devices from less popular manufacturers to keep using tzones.

Yeah, it doesn't really make sense to actively maintain a "no T-Zones" list for what must be a relatively tiny number of folks still clinging to a T-Zones plan.

I suspect the block is a side effect of flagging devices in T-Mo's phone database for other purposes, e.g. compatibility with the PAU plan, the Android Visual Voicemail or DIGITS apps, or some other reason T-Mo would need to flag a phone as Android. If my guess is right, a device getting blocked for T-Zones is just a "happy accident" (from T-Mo's perspective.)

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S10 (G9730), Sony Xperia XZ2, Lumia 950 XL (Red Pocket)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Google Fi (2nd SIM slot)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    I suspect the block is a side effect of flagging devices in T-Mo's phone database for other purposes
    yeah, they certainly must be using the IMEI block for some other purpose than just small potatoes T-Zone fanatics.

it is weird though how they spend time actively cutting off features, for instance int'l data passes, for us too. though that's likely to pressure us to move on to a current plan. (at least with my plan I can no longer get them)