Thread: Please Help: Nationwide (Home/Local)

Feedback Score

Please Help: Nationwide (Home/Local)

Long story short... My contract came due with Rogers and I upgraded then returned a device. Unhappy with pricing, I looked back into Freedom and they offered a great deal if I were to come back (port) to them. Using this information, Rogers created a new deal for me and I decided to stick it out. Unfortunately, when trying to get this deal set up at the store level and with them calling into their support team multiple times, things fell through and the deal started changing.

As such, I ported to Freedom yesterday (May 18, 2020) and received a phone from them and paired it with a promotional tablet offer. Everything seemed to be working well until I got home. I have two residences in Port Coquitlam and at both locations, when trying to use the service, it's non-existant!

When I phone my number, it goes straight to voice mail and my tablet says "no service". When I look at my phone, it shows "Nationwide", the signal bar shows an "R" and my display shows two time zones "Local" & "Home". Realizing my phone was roaming, I knew the tablet had "no service" since data roaming was turned off.

With this information, I phoned Freedom Mobile and had a painstaking conversation with a representative who kept repeating how under both address searches, Freedom has coverage. Frustrated, I said if that WAS the case, I would not be on the line. They then put me through to their network team (tech support) who said there may be a "connectivity" issue whereby although Freedom has coverage and the map shows this, it may be "fringe" coverage where the signal is weak and a roaming partner may have better coverage.

This said, I would like to know if others on Freedom have had issues in the Minnekhada Regional Park or Heritage Mountain areas of Port Coquitlam?

My problem is that the network operations team noted the service area disruption and said the "back office" team would reach out to me within 30 days advising of an update. When I said my equipment was useless and my return policy is 15 days, I was told I can run on "Nationwide" without problem and as a courtesy for my trouble, Freedom will discount my plan by $10 monthly for 6 months.

On the contrary... This discount is useless as even in "Nationwide", my phone simply does not work and if the data happens to work, it's super super slow. From reading on their website, if I'm "Nationwide", calls are FREE both incoming/outgoing but data is capped at 2GB and then extremely slow which makes this plan, even after the offered discount, more expensive than prepaid on one of the major carriers LOL!

They "promise" the matter will be fixed within 30 days but I cannot rely on a potentially empty promise and don't wish to have hardware which will not work or partially work in which I will own after 15 days at a hefty price should I thereafter need to cancel.

Anyone who has suggestions or are familiar with the area, I would like to hear your feedback! I'm just wondering if I should keep this hardware (given the promotion I got) and tough it out in hopes service does improve, return everything and just go back to Rogers or return the hardware but keep the "service only" using my own hardware and see how things look within the next month?

Device(s)
    Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hfta View Post
    This said, I would like to know if others on Freedom have had issues in the Minnekhada Regional Park or Heritage Mountain areas of Port Coquitlam?
    Did you look at the Canadian Cellular Towers Map
    https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html?

Freedom Mobile coverage in those two areas looks pretty poor to me. This would explain your troubles.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    Koodo: Unlimited Canada Talk, World Text, 8+9 GB Data
    AT&T: Unlimited talk & text in and between the U.S., Canada, & Mexico, 8+17 GB data

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Night_Owl View Post
    Did you look at the Canadian Cellular Towers Map
    https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html?

Freedom Mobile coverage in those two areas looks pretty poor to me. This would explain your troubles.

Thanks for that link! It does seem that the towers deployed by Freedom Mobile are limited but what's even more concerning is the fact they state you can roam "Nationwide" with unlimited incoming/outgoing minutes and a capped amount (2GB) of data - specific to my plan.

Their "Nationwide" does not work!! Either the major telecom companies are limiting the ability for Freedom Mobile to roam or Freedom Mobile "thinks" it has a strong signal to their own tower, thereby, making the device useless as you'll never get service.

As such, I've returned the devices and retained monthly service while I look into the best options offered by all carriers and which one will work for my intended needs.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hfta View Post
    Thanks for that link! It does seem that the towers deployed by Freedom Mobile are limited but what's even more concerning is the fact they state you can roam "Nationwide" with unlimited incoming/outgoing minutes and a capped amount (2GB) of data - specific to my plan.

Their "Nationwide" does not work!! Either the major telecom companies are limiting the ability for Freedom Mobile to roam or Freedom Mobile "thinks" it has a strong signal to their own tower, thereby, making the device useless as you'll never get service.

As such, I've returned the devices and retained monthly service while I look into the best options offered by all carriers and which one will work for my intended needs.
    You are most welcome!

No, that's not how Freedom Mobile's "Nationwide" system works. If you're in what Freedom believes is a Freedom zone, you cannot roam on the Big 3 Nationwide network. Freedom Mobile doesn't care if you have a weak Freedom signal or even no Freedom signal -- if you're in a Freedom zone then you use Freedom towers NO MATTER WHAT.

Good that you returned your Freedom purchases since Freedom towers are scarce in your two areas.

I was shocked how many TELUS towers there are in your two areas. The shared TELUS/Bell network looks like an excellent network for you. Doesn't TELUS, Bell, Koodo, Virgin, Public Mobile or Lucky Mobile have a plan that would fit your needs?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Night_Owl View Post
    You are most welcome!

No, that's not how Freedom Mobile's "Nationwide" system works. If you're in what Freedom believes is a Freedom zone, you cannot roam on the Big 3 Nationwide network. Freedom Mobile doesn't care if you have a weak Freedom signal or even no Freedom signal -- if you're in a Freedom zone then you use Freedom towers NO MATTER WHAT.

Good that you returned your Freedom purchases since Freedom towers are scarce in your two areas.

I was shocked how many TELUS towers there are in your two areas. The shared TELUS/Bell network looks like an excellent network for you. Doesn't TELUS, Bell, Koodo, Virgin, Public Mobile or Lucky Mobile have a plan that would fit your needs?

You are correct! The network team followed up with me and stated that if "Freedom" has a tower within the vicinity of my location, whether the signal is strong enough or not to use calling features and data, it will always try to use the tower whether functional or not. You used to have the ability to "force" onto a roaming partner but the "network team" at Freedom (back office) stated this is no longer the case.

My response was if they know the "tower" in question does not provide coverage yet no "roaming" is available since the system "thinks" you have coverage, this is something which should be addressed! Whether this means Freedom installs some type of repeater/booster to fix matters, this again, should be addressed.

The issue I see here is Freedom needs to boost their ARPU to ensure expansion. Shaw is doing this but unlike in past, they are accelerating their pricing model quicker than the expansion. They are quick to boast new "coverage" areas yet they are minimally covered! This is not progress, it's a inch forward for Shaw (Freedom) but a foot backwards for the consumer.

Even with Microcell Communications (FIDO) prior to the Rogers takeover, they offered CityFido which was unlimited calls/texts within the area of Chilliwack to Horseshoe Bay for $40. This was unheard of when we still had per minute plans and free eves/weekends after 6pm. This was a true game changer but it was because FIDO did not have the network footprint. Once purchased by Rogers, they knew they could not do a mass price increase so started by offering access to an expanded footprint (Rogers network) for an increase from $40 to $45. Rogers, after roughly 18 months then stated people could keep CityFido but would not be eligible for hardware subsidies. This wasn't for everyone but they make it more difficult but aligned it properly to ensure they did not piss off the consumer and have them leave in droves for the competitor.

Freedom Mobile (under Orascom) offered proper value for service and continued this with the transition to WIND Mobile under the direction of Anthony Lacavera. I don't dispute the fact there's been major red tape by the BIG 3 to hinder growth but the history behind this, Government licensing and other matters is a whole new topic of conversation.

The facts are Shaw invested huge revenue to ensure completion on the purchase of WIND Mobile. They invested even more money to modestly grow the network to what I will state is functioning for the "major" urban regions. As for expansion beyond these areas and into rural ones, they have a long way to go! Based on the current investment model, Shaw does not wish to bleed money therefore, they are integrating network topologies to ensures WiFi calling and other measures for continued connectivity. The problem is their price model is in alignment with Telus, Bell and Rogers thereby making these companies and their subsidiary brands more attractive.

I understand where Shaw sits but you cannot provide mediocre service to your consumer base to ensure profitability and happy shareholders. When acquisitions happen, there needs to short be term loss in one sector for the interim, to ensure overall growth and continued profitability for the long term.

Shaw started with this model then veered off and started price matching. You cannot price match when other brands are superior. That would be like Honda charging $1,200 for a oil change and thereafter justifying it by stating if you take your Ferrari in, that's what they charge. Complete hogwash!

I know Shaw will make a go of things and I've heard talks of Shaw having their own brand come the first quarter of 2021 (Shaw Mobile). I have pretty good sources so speculate you will have the primary brand Shaw Mobile which you can bundle with your other Shaw services while Freedom will be their subsidiary brand (discount carrier). The model within Canada will be 4 major carriers and their sub brands:

Telus = Koodo, Public Mobile
    Bell = Virgin, Solo (defunct), Lucky Mobile
    Rogers = Fido, Chat-R
    Shaw = Shaw Mobile, Freedom

You will also continue to have the MVNO's who buy their bulk airtime and are resellers of the main carriers.

Time will tell and I like Freedom Mobile but they need to step up their game! I could defend in past by stating they had red tape by the BIG 3 and other pitfalls with the whole foreign ownership crap between Orascom prior to the WIND restructure; then you had the BIG 3 band together when the fears circulated that VERIZON was going to step in and branch into Canada etc... etc... Even Verizon backed out not due to fear but on the contrary... They [Verizon] were so big in the USA, when they saw the tactics the BIG 3 went to with all the joint ventures in false commercial advertising etc... Verizon just backed out! It was no different in the early 2000's with ARCO gas. In the Vancouver lower mainland, there was a small player which ARCO bought out. When ARCO set up shop, they had better rapports with Oil/Gas vendors and charged "fair" pricing for gas essentially making good profit while appeasing the consumer.

Lo and behold... Shell, Chevron, Husky, Petro Canada, all the major gas companies dropped pricing to a point it was a hay day for consumers. I remember filling up my vehicle for around $0.30 a litre if not mistaken. This lasted about 10 days at which point, pricing went back up and within 6 months, ARCO closed all their Canadian locations and exited out of Canada.

Bottom line is the major incumbents don't wish to lose their cash cow. It's difficult as for companies like Telus, they cannot lower the price so much that they cannibalize their other sector of landlines as landlines may not be popular among residential households but they are popular among businesses and business pays premium dollar for service.

Same goes for Shaw! They cannot offer such crazy data packages with increased speeds or they too will cannibalize their Internet sector as people would just tether versus having a dedicated Internet connection.

I guess in the end, there has to be a fair balance but it seems that we the people as daily consumers are the one paying for it until this balance is determined.