Thread: Confused by Safelink add-on for minutes and data

Feedback Score

Confused by Safelink add-on for minutes and data

I’ve been on Safelink for 2 months and get 350 minutes, unlimited text and 3gb of data per month. Since Covid started at around the same time Safelink has been giving me unlimited minutes and 8gb of data per month. After the Covid promo ends I’ll likely need to add data and/or minutes to my plan occasionally. I’m looking at the Safelink upgrade plan page and am confused by how these plans work with my existing monthly allowance.

I’ve listed the plans below. The first set of plans say they work separately from the free benefit while the unlimited plans say they replace any unused free data.

If my benefit begins at the beginning of the month and I run out of minutes would it be better for me to choose the fixed minutes plan? Also, if I run out of data first should I pay for the unlimited plan?

If the unlimited plans replace the lifeline data benefit and not add-on to it, then it seems like I’d be paying $15 for unlimited voice since and get nothing else since I would already be receiving unlimited text and 3GB of data.

Thanks for your help.

$10 for 500min, 500text, 500MB Data
    $12 for 1000min, 1000text, 1GB Data

*Each Airtime Card includes a set number of minutes/data and service days that begin on the date the airtime card is added to the phone. These plans work separately from your free benefit program. Functionality can vary depending of the type of device.

Unlimited Plans (talk and text) for 30 days

$15 3GB data
    $20 4GB data
    $30 14GB data
    $39 40GB data

**Each Service Plan includes a fixed amount of high speed data as specified on the plan you have purchased, 30 days of Service, replacing any unused free data. Other restrictions apply. SafeLink reserves the right to terminate your service for unauthorized or abnormal usage. May only apply one data plan every 30 days. High speed data does not transfer over from one 30 days’ service period to the next. If you are enrolled, the service will revert back to the standard SafeLink plan after 30 days. Actual availability, coverage, and speed may vary. There is no Carryover of Unused Services.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    Unlocked Tracfone iPhone SE & iPhone 6S, Tracfone Samsung Luna Pro, Tracfone LG Rebel 4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I help a friend with his safelink wireless account. I've never used the unlimited plans with his account, only fixed plans (stuff you get off the regular TF website). I like these plans because they roll over. So if he used up all his allotted Safelink benefit minutes for example and then adds a fixed plan, or even just minutes by themselves, called "purchased benefits", this will be used until the next benefit cycle starts and then the free benefits will be used and what he bought goes into hibernation until needed again - the safelink benefits minutes/data run out.

I think the unlimited plans are good if you are a relatively heavy phone user. The benefits are only good for the month... not sure based on experience how the data behaves with SW but with a normal account data rolls over for one month only.

To this day after adding a $25 plan to his account a year or two ago and I think minutes because he was running out of minutes close to the end of his safelink benefits he still has plenty of extra minutes and data should he ever need it. Recently his service was upgraded from your plan to 1,000 FREE monthly minutes & unlimited texts with 3GB/month of FREE data so between that, the purchased benefits he still has and Covid he's good forever.
    Member formerly known as "lappers"

Device(s)
    Unlocked Tracfone iPhone SE & iPhone 6S, Tracfone Samsung Luna Pro, Tracfone LG Rebel 4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Here is what his account looks like btw:

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 38
Size:  50.7 KB

The top part is cut off.. it reads "total benefits" a combo of purchased benefits plus safelink benetis.

Those purchased benefits have been there for years at this point.

IIRC, you can add individual things that you may need.. so just $10 for 500 minutes or $10 for a 1GB of data.. with promo code this could turn into 1.5GB of data for $8 if you get the $8 offer etc. And it rolls over.

This was a while ago that i did this. I assume the account still behaves the same way.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tomseys View Post

IIRC, you can add individual things that you may need.. so just $10 for 500 minutes or $10 for a 1GB of data.. with promo code this could turn into 1.5GB of data for $8 if you get the $8 offer etc. And it rolls over.

This was a while ago that i did this. I assume the account still behaves the same way.
    Thanks for the reply. Based on what I was seeing $10 would give 500 min, 500 text, 500MB (see above). I interpreted that as getting all three buckets. Are you saying that I would need to choose which bucket (voice, text, data) I want and only get one?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_in_nyc View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Based on what I was seeing $10 would give 500 min, 500 text, 500MB (see above). I interpreted that as getting all three buckets. Are you saying that I would need to choose which bucket (voice, text, data) I want and only get one?

No, just that you may have that option on the TF website. $10 for 500 minutes, 500 text and 500 MB of data in general is pretty good.

But if you find you are mainly running out of data then potentially $8 for 3 times the amount of data on the $10 plan may be better.
    I'm assuming you are able to add this to your safelink wireless account. As well as any other plan on the TF website.
    As I was able to in the past.

https://www.tracfone.com/shop/plans

Added: I don't think I've ever actually used those fixed plans with his account.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Interesting, if I try to add say 1gb of data, it will suggest I go here:

https://ww2.tracfone.com/direct/Safe...g=?language=en

With the unlimited and pay as you go plans listed. Does the pay as you go plan carryover?

But, if I close out that popup, I can still add whatever via the normal Tracfone shopping cart.

That's what I've done in the past, just added to his Safelink Wireless iPhone just like it was a normal Tracfone, and it all carries over/rolls over in my exp just like with regular tracfones.

Can't say for sure it behaves the same way now though since I haven't added to his account in a while.. no reason to.

Looks like the SW pay as you go plans ($10, $12) does not carry over?

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 35
Size:  10.8 KB

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Anyway, sorry if I've just created more confusion, lol.

Maybe someone else has more recent experience with SW and the plans and can offer better advice.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    For whatever it's worth I chatted with Nestor on the safelink wireless site and he says both pay as you go plans - the $10 and $12 do roll over. The unlimited one doesn't. I assume he is correct (I probably shouldn't lol)

Anyway, I would go with whatever rolls over unless you need a ton of voice minutes. This way you can keep a supply/surplus to use as needed and see how your usage goes over time and then target it better with for example data only purchases like described earlier etc.

Like I mentioned, I've never bought any of the SW specific plans.. I just bought a plan from the TF site when he needed extra minutes

Added #1: Actually, now that I think about it, what would happen is his phone would stop working.. he couldn't make calls. And I'd call in to TF support and say there is some problem assuming something complicated and we'd work on it then it was like duh, he has no more voice minutes. This is when he still had the 350 minutes allotment. So the tech recommended just buy any plan off the TF website and he'll be able to make calls. This was also true with his international calling card.. it would not work without purchased minutes. So that is how I came to just order whatever from the main site as opposed to some SW specific plan.. those SW plans are nice though assuming for sure they roll over.

Added #2: if i recall correctly, as mentioned above, if you want to buy/use the $10 international calling card, you have to have purchased benefits (paid for minutes).
    Last edited by tomseys; 05-21-2020 at 02:00 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tomseys View Post
    For whatever it's worth I chatted with Nestor on the safelink wireless site and he says both pay as you go plans - the $10 and $12 do roll over. The unlimited one doesn't. I assume he is correct (I probably shouldn't lol)

Anyway, I would go with whatever rolls over unless you need a ton of voice minutes. This way you can keep a supply/surplus to use as needed and see how your usage goes over time and then target it better with for example data only purchases like described earlier etc.

Like I mentioned, I've never bought any of the SW specific plans.. I just treat it like a normal Tracfone and it's worked out great.

Added: if i recall correctly, if you want to buy/use the $10 international calling card, you have to have purchased benefits (paid for minutes).
    Thanks for your note. I checked via chat also and initially was told nothing carried over but then was told the same as you when I questioned it further.