Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Verizon in early 2020: results show consistent and excellent performance across the board

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

Verizon in early 2020: results show consistent and excellent performance across the board

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)

Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Well let me first say congratulations to Verizon.

Interesting tidbit: RootMetrics praised Verizon for being the fastest in most markets while simultaneously praising the carrier for being slow. Feel free to discuss this among yourselves.

I guess the word of the day here is: “consistent,” and Verizon does well in this category as expected.

Verizon’s SNR levels praised highly here. Interesting to see Magenta’s SNR more closely aligned with Verizon than ATT in this report and attributed to the addition of additional spectrum.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    Iphone Xs, Ipad Pro 11"
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon/Cricket
    Feedback Score
    They better watch out, Tmo is fast on their tails and their 5g mmwave isn't going to save them. Hope verizon begins to put some focus on mid and low band 5G (and yes I know the auction is coming up, but that is still not until later in the year).

Feedback Score

Verizon in early 2020: results show consistent and excellent performance across the board

Quote Originally Posted by ckoch125 View Post
    They better watch out, Tmo is fast on their tails and their 5g mmwave isn't going to save them. Hope verizon begins to put some focus on mid and low band 5G (and yes I know the auction is coming up, but that is still not until later in the year).
    T-Mobile has a lot of work to do and I hope they pull off what they’re claiming. Verizon and AT&T won’t be sitting still. I do agree though Verizon is in a mid band spectrum hole so they’ll have to keep densifying for optimal spectrum re-use

Feedback Score

I watched the video. So does Verizon own Rootmetrics or what? Somebody got PWNed.

The SNR info was interesting, though. I was with AT&T for 25 yrs before switching to Verizon 5 months ago.

Verizon does seem to work much better at lower signal levels than AT&T. I routinely gave very usable, albeit slow, data speeds on Verizon with one single bar.

In contrast AT&T usually craps our with 2 bars. Choppy calms/video, data stalls, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Carrier(s)
    Att
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JSchnee21 View Post
    I watched the video. So does Verizon own Rootmetrics or what? Somebody got PWNed.

The SNR info was interesting, though. I was with AT&T for 25 yrs before switching to Verizon 5 months ago.

Verizon does seem to work much better at lower signal levels than AT&T. I routinely gave very usable, albeit slow, data speeds on Verizon with one single bar.

In contrast AT&T usually craps our with 2 bars. Choppy calms/video, data stalls, etc.

I’ve seen similar. Verizon does seem to be the low signal usability long. I’ve been able to make a clear and usable call when I thought I had almost no signal whatsoever

Feedback Score

They down own rootmetrics. Notice how much AT&T has improved and in many markets now is faster than Verizon.

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Well let me first say congratulations to Verizon.

Interesting tidbit: RootMetrics praised Verizon for being the fastest in most markets while simultaneously praising the carrier for being slow. Feel free to discuss this among yourselves.

I guess the word of the day here is: “consistent,” and Verizon does well in this category as expected.

Verizon’s SNR levels praised highly here. Interesting to see Magenta’s SNR more closely aligned with Verizon than ATT in this report and attributed to the addition of additional spectrum.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Yep, look at that perfect SNR from a speedtest I did today.
    Name:  Screenshot_20200521-184639_Service%20mode%20RIL.jpeg
Views: 73
Size:  41.8 KB

Sent from my Galaxy S10+ using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    SNR was always an issue with Verizon for me. Not enough cell sites and too many users. That’s likely changed in many areas.

Root’s continual fluffing of Verizon in Philly is hilarious though. It isn’t as good as at&t and the fact they’re boasting a .2% 5G availability. That’s a joke.
    AT&T: 2003 (gophone) & 2008-2009 & 2013-Present
    Cingular: 2003-2006
    Sprint: 2006-2007 & 2009-2011
    Verizon Wireless: 2001-2003 & 2011-2013

Feedback Score

I find that In my area of Central NJ Verizon “relies” on their better SNR a bit too heavily. That is towers in some locations are a bit too far apart.

Though I’ve never had the no service indicator since switching to Verizon, there are many suburban / rural areas with only a single bar. Downloads still work, slowly, but uploads can be abysmal because the tower is too far away.

I find Verizon service in PA — philly burbs — generally much better.

After 25 years with AT&T, I’m still happy with the switch. Speeds are a bit lower, but service reliability — especially indoors — grocery stores, high school gyms, etc. has been better with Verizon.

And no more data stalls on my XSM!

I still have my AT&T hotspots because they are unlimited. My Verizon Jetpacks are inexpensive, but 15 GB per month sucks!

Sent from my iPhone XSM using Tapatalk Pro

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, Verizon, AT$T
    Feedback Score
    My Verizon line has been "better" when traveling around than it was in the past (I'm by far getting less flat out data failures at hotels - i've only had 2 hotels these last two weeks... vs before it was 4-6 in the same time span) - I can say most of this improvement i've noticed over the last 3-6mos.

I'm glad to see they're doing some work as for me it had gotten so bad I actually did jump ship to AT&T with my main phone number - FirstNet buildout has done wonders for thier network and in most cases from what I can see using dual SIM - AT&T is still usually "faster" when there are more bars, and better yet.. i've only encountered maybe two places the data flat out failed when on a work trip at a hotel.

T-Mobile still has work to do as well, but has also significantly been better lately getting on in-building DAS.. and I imagine as Sprint's PCS/2.5GHz is digested will only get better.
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"
    Sprint: Premium Unlimited (for 100GB hotspot!)

Feedback Score
    I find that In my area of Central NJ Verizon “relies” on their better SNR a bit too heavily. That is towers in some locations are a bit too far apart.

Though I’ve never had the no service indicator since switching to Verizon, there are many suburban / rural areas with only a single bar. Downloads still work, slowly, but uploads can be abysmal because the tower is too far away.

I find Verizon service in PA — philly burbs — generally much better.

After 25 years with AT&T, I’m still happy with the switch. Speeds are a bit lower, but service reliability — especially indoors — grocery stores, high school gyms, etc. has been better with Verizon.

And no more data stalls on my XSM!

I still have my AT&T hotspots because they are unlimited. My Verizon Jetpacks are inexpensive, but 15 GB per month sucks!

What part of CNJ you at? Do you think the rollout of CBRS and a wider rollout of band 5 will help? Personally for me I’m between two water tower mounted cell towers 1.4 miles away and 1.1 miles away, and when indoors I generally only get 1 or 2 bars regardless of what phone I use when on certain bands. Personally I’m hoping they’ll start putting up small cells in my borough. They already rolled out fiber in 2017 for FTTH Fios so it shouldn’t be too difficult.

Feedback Score
    I’m in northern Monroe Township (Middlesex), near Spotswood / East Brunswick.

I doubt they would ever do small cells here in Monroe because it is fairly rural / open suburban.

But in some of the denser shopping areas — route 18, 9, 1 I suppose it’s possible.

Verizon has really good coverage and speed by the Brunswick Square Mall. They have a Macro on the water tower. I’ve gotten up to 229 Mbit/s DL on my XSM — no CBRS for me )-: similarly on Helmetta by the new Snuff Factory apartment complex (also water tower). They also have a single antenna node on top of the Monroe Township rec center. And great coverage by the HS, police station, library — new Macro in the last 3yrs or so.

Down on route 9 between the Lowe’s, McDonalds, Whole Foods there is a small cell — but it’s not Verizon.

But if you go to like Dunham’s Corner and Cranbury Road (535) Verizon signal is very weak. Slow, high latency.

Feedback Score
    Since CBRS. and LAA don’t travel as far as low band, I don’t think this added capacity will help. Occasionally I see some congestion but it’s usually not a problem.

Generally it’s more of an issue with signal strength / geography. Most areas are fine but a few are very thin — a bit too close to the edge of the sector.

I wish Verizon had a Mark the Spot App like AT&T.

I thought Band 5 was being re-farmed as 5G (or maybe DSS) — so that won’t help.

They’d need to either adjust the antenna inclination, add another sector, or add another tower.

Feedback Score
    Since CBRS. and LAA don’t travel as far as low band, I don’t think this added capacity will help. Occasionally I see some congestion but it’s usually not a problem.

Generally it’s more of an issue with signal strength / geography. Most areas are fine but a few are very thin — a bit too close to the edge of the sector.

I wish Verizon had a Mark the Spot App like AT&T.

I thought Band 5 was being re-farmed as 5G (or maybe DSS) — so that won’t help.

They’d need to either adjust the antenna inclination, add another sector, or add another tower.

They’ve added small cells literally in the mountains of the watchung Reservation’s so who knows what their plans are by you. CBRS range off a macro is close to a mile so perhaps that can help with capacity. What they ultimately need though is CBRS/C band for the future.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast