Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Curious what kind of things a Supercharged Uncarrier might do?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Curious what kind of things a Supercharged Uncarrier might do?

“The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well it’s about “5GForGood” so hope it is about WISP service. However that guy tweeting Is 5G safe is just mind numbing. Just read a article today some crazy people are destroying cell towers or shutting off power to cell towers in West Tennessee.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...ists-us-warns/

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Well it’s about “5GForGood” so hope it is about WISP service. However that guy tweeting Is 5G safe is just mind numbing. Just read a article today some crazy people are destroying cell towers or shutting off power to cell towers in West Tennessee.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...ists-us-warns/
    I almost replied to that guy on Twitter... It crossed my mind.

Yeah I posted something similar in the Lounge a few weeks back. People are literally burning cell sites in Europe because they think they’re giving them COVID-19. Some of this information allegedly is coming from a site called QAnon.

One of my favorite actors from Cheers (Woody Harrelson) is even promoting this stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    Blackberry Storm (10+ years ago). Now a days I am using a Samsung or OnePlus flagship.
    Carrier(s)
    VZW and T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    So strange people would think that. Now if Trump said it I would believe it. Hahahah

No but seriously, regarding 5G. We just got it here in the Detroit area. I was driving around today doing some testing. there were some spots where the 5G signal was pretty good and I was getting speeds lower than I would have normally on 4G.

I feel like all of these carriers are tossing out a lot of BS with respect to 5G. Verizon with their half a block radius mmWave crap!! I get crazy GB speeds, but come-on, you can't take 10 steps from the tower. AT&T and T-Mobile spouting off about full 5G coverage, but the speeds are negligible, some spots even lower than compared to 4G.

So frustrating!!!

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone (Silver) Xs Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    (Dual Sim) T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!! Xfinity Mobile (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Yeah WISP would be AMAZING!!!

Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple

Carrier(s)
    Att
    Feedback Score

It’s at 11am eastern time? I’m curious what it is

Looks like it might be first responder plan. Wasn’t this announced previously?

Some are posting the hotspot is capped at 1gb. Will that work for first responders?
    Last edited by eddiehaskell; 05-21-2020 at 10:36 AM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    There is a misconception out there that emergency’s only happen in areas so remote that T-Mobile wouldn’t have any service or that only hurricane disaster areas are the times first responders are needed.

Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Most emergencies don’t make the news and most happen in urban/suburban areas where the Big 3 carriers work just fine. They happen every minute of every day.

With so many budget cuts on the horizon T-Mobile could find themselves with a whole lot more town/city/county and state contracts taking advantage of this free service.

Great business move to remind decision makers of this fantastic deal. As T-Mobile continues to fortify and expand their network the deal keeps getting better.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
    It’s at 11am eastern time? I’m curious what it is

Looks like it might be first responder plan. Wasn’t this announced previously?

Some are posting the hotspot is capped at 1gb. Will that work for first responders?
    Tethering is capped at 1GB high speed, then throttled to "3G speed" (512kbps.)

I don't see where that's a particularly terrible problem for anyone, especially for free. Sure, it'll be hard to stream Netflix at that speed, but you can actually get plenty of work done at 512K...

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    All first responders can receive a free iPhone SE.

Feedback Score
    How about working with Verizon and figuring out how to get HD Voice working nationwide between the two carriers? Hmm?

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    How about working with Verizon and figuring out how to get HD Voice working nationwide between the two carriers? Hmm?
    Well, if Verizon would consider using standards instead of hiding behind incompatible VoLTE schemes that might happen.

Verizon is an 800-lb gorilla in wireless, and, at least until recently, T-Mobile was a mouse.

If a gorilla and a mouse don't come to an agreement about something, it's almost always because of the gorilla!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile needs to get more permanent generators installed at cell sites before promoting their service for emergency responders

I speak from personal experience being an emergency responder during Hurricane Harvey in 2017

While the closest TMO Site had a permanent back-up generator, another TMO Site providing the microwave backhaul did not, so no service until TMO brought a portable generator to that Site 3-4 days afterwards....

The TMO site in question still does not have a permanent back-up Generator and provides Microwave backhaul to five other TMO sites, so whenever the power goes out on that site, 6 total TMO sites are taken out, even though some of those have permanent back-up generators

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MEDIX1011 View Post
    T-Mobile needs to get more permanent generators installed at cell sites before promoting their service for emergency responders ...
    This is one common complaint about T-Mobile following a disaster. Following Hurricane Katrina, I had T-Mobile service but no one on any cellular carrier could call anyone on any other carrier or landlines. (I think they've solved that particular problem.) This is when people discovered intercarrier texting worked.
    Donald Newcomb

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast