Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ting Says I Must Upgrade my Phone? True?

Feedback Score

Ting Says I Must Upgrade my Phone? True?

I have a Moto E4, (4g LTE) which isn't fancy but works fine for me. But Ting (T-mobile network) has now written to me twice saying it is *mandatory* that I get a newer phone because carriers are updating towers and my phone will stop working. Is this true yet? I'm looking around and not seeing much about people complaining about their cell not functioning. Are people running into this problem? My fear is buying a new phone, then 12 months from now a newer 5G tech will be available and I'll have to get yet *another* phone.

Thanks!

Don

Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by donald_s View Post
    I have a Moto E4, (4g LTE) which isn't fancy but works fine for me. But Ting (T-mobile network) has now written to me twice saying it is *mandatory* that I get a newer phone because carriers are updating towers and my phone will stop working. Is this true yet? I'm looking around and not seeing much about people complaining about their cell not functioning. Are people running into this problem? My fear is buying a new phone, then 12 months from now a newer 5G tech will be available and I'll have to get yet *another* phone.

Thanks!

Don
    4G is going to be around for 5 years or so at least... so a 5G phone wouldn’t be mandatory anytime soon.

Do you see LTE at the top of the phone when making a phone call? If so that means you have VoLTE and no reason to need to change. But if your phone drops down to edge or 3G then I can see maybe why there telling you to upgrade.

But T-Mobile’s 2G should still be around for at least another year or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Feedback Score
    Are you sure it's a Moto E4? Can you look in Settings/About Phone for the exact model #? (Should start with XT......)
    Are you on Ting's CDMA/Sprint, T-Mobile, or Verizon network?
    I'm pretty sure the E4 works on all 3, with VoLTE enabled on both T-Mobile and Verizon. And it should be fine on Sprint's network, without VoLTE.

Feedback Score
    donald_s, can you contact Ting to get a more detailed explanation?

I can't think of any reason why a Moto E4 XT1768 wouldn't work just fine on the T-Mo network for the foreseeable future.

The Moto E4 XT1768 is a great phone, which I used up until late Jan 2020 with a T-Mobile data only SIM card, and the only reason I stopped using mine was to get a phone with a better camera. But I'm keeping my Moto E4 XT1768 as a backup phone because, as far as I know, it's still compatible with all US and most international carriers.

Anyway, please post back if you can get any more info about why Ting is saying your E4 is incompatible with the T-Mobile network. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the responses guys. Here is what Ting has to say:

The four major US carriers are shutting down their older networks in favor of newer LTE and 5G networks. Older phones including your Moto G (3rd Gen) lack the Voice over LTE (VoLTE) technology to make calls over these networks. As a result, your phone will begin to experience issues such as dropped calls, failed connections and general poor call quality. It’s unlikely that your phone will work at all on any major network after the end of 2020.

I have a Moto E4, my wife has a Moto G3. Maybe it's her phone that's the concern? But it's still a 4G LTE phone.

Feedback Score
    sound more like a scare tactic just to get you to buy a new phone - https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300905205.html

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by donald_s View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys. Here is what Ting has to say:

The four major US carriers are shutting down their older networks in favor of newer LTE and 5G networks. Older phones including your Moto G (3rd Gen) lack the Voice over LTE (VoLTE) technology to make calls over these networks. As a result, your phone will begin to experience issues such as dropped calls, failed connections and general poor call quality. It’s unlikely that your phone will work at all on any major network after the end of 2020.

I have a Moto E4, my wife has a Moto G3. Maybe it's her phone that's the concern? But it's still a 4G LTE phone.
    4G LTE will eventually not be enough. VoLTE capability will be required, which not all 4G LTE phones have.

But for now, a Moto G 3rd Gen should continue to work on the T-Mobile network, which is what you stated your Ting account is using.

But are you 100% sure that your Ting account is using the T-Mobile network? As mentioned above, Ting is also a Sprint and Vzw MVNO.

Feedback Score
    Yes I'm sure it's T-Mobile. Interesting that they are pushing so hard about this. Again, thanks for the responses.

Feedback Score
    So it's not the E4. Maybe the message is for the wifes G3. I've gotten messages for 3G/non VoLTE phones I have on the same PP account I have my VoLTE phones on. According to the PhoneScoop the Moto G 3rd gen (CDMA or GSM) are not VoLTE. Maybe she's not on TM.

Feedback Score
    I think Ting is moving more aggressively than required by carriers to encourage folks to change to "future proof" phones, under the theory that subscribers will have bad experiences with phones that are technically allowed by a network, but unlikely to be satisfactory in use. See a discussion here: https://ting.com/blog/3g-shutdown-and-volte/

The G3 on T-Mobile will prove problematic as T-Mobile drops their 2G voice coverage in preference for LTE, and VoLTE voice. (Eventually everywhere, some places already.) And the G3 can't use T-Mobile VoLTE for voice. It's possible that Ting has notified you because they're trying to keep an eye out for areas where 2G and 3G are being reduced or eliminated.

If it's a factory-unlocked Moto G3, it seems like you could move that phone to Ting CDMA/Sprint if you have decent coverage-- they don't require VoLTE at this point. Not sure why the email from Ting says it soon won't work on any network they offer after the end of 2020?

Feedback Score
    Disclosure: I work for Ting.

It's not a scare tactic. We see hundreds of calls a week from customers with phones that aren't VoLTE on T-Mobile's network, and they blame us rather than the network that is shuttering their 2G and 3G calling methods in their area. These emails are designed first and foremost to educate and encourage the customers who are probably going to have a bad experience to upgrade to a phone that is VoLTE compatible, thus reducing their need to call, reducing their poor experience with 2G and 3G calls and texts, and saving time and money across the board.

2G/3G calling probably will, on paper, be around for a while. But that's far from the reality on the ground. It's very common to get customers who are angry with a "cut rate" provider when the actual issue is frequency incompatibility. Then the customer either (1) switches to another T-Mobile-backed network and has similar or the same issues but sometimes not symptomatic so they go undetected or (2) switch phones and providers (getting a new phone that works on Verizon, for example), and then wrongly blaming us for the fact that they had terrible coverage.

This problem is common on T-Mobile, and is not new: https://www.reddit.com/r/ting/commen..._this/e5cxh5j/
    We just happen to be proactive about alerting our customers of a forthcoming terrible experience.

VoLTE will soon be a requirement to activate on the T-Mobile network at all, though existing handsets will be allowed to stay with what's expected to be kind of a poor network experience. Again, these emails are our way of trying to get ahead of that. Upgrade the phone now, you don't have to call us later when your phone stops receiving texts and calls, or calls go right to voicemail.

If a phone was otherwise compatible with one of the other two networks we support, the messaging is to move to one of those, as Verizon requires VoLTE to activate at all (again, coming to T-Mobile soon), and Sprint sill doesn't require it.

OP, if you'd like to email me the actual IMEI of the phone we said isn't VoLTE compatible I can show you the math on how we landed there. If it would have otherwise gone to another network, we'd have offered that instead of telling you an upgrade is probably necessary very soon. I can be reached at [email protected] and will be following this thread for the next week or so for follow-up.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Bravo for the comprehensive support post!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LiterallyUnlim View Post
    Disclosure: I work for Ting.

It's not a scare tactic.
    Why would people believe that nonsense? Scare tactic... just for fun? Because Ting doesn't make any phones, so it has no interests in "up-selling" devices.
    Thanks for the long post explaining the details.
    PS: Moto G3 is a 5 year old phone, it's done for. Not family jewels to hold on to...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Why would people believe that nonsense? Scare tactic... just for fun? Because Ting doesn't make any phones, so it has no interests in "up-selling" devices.
    True. We actually actively lose money on some devices or deals. This really is just about trying to improve the experience and save money.

Before I understood it, the lack of VoLTE was almost the thing that was going to push me off of Ting and onto another carrier. It was my wife's phone, a formerly Verizon Moto Droid Mini. Once I understood the problem and swapped out her phone for an iPhone SE (2016), all the issues we were having disappeared overnight. It was like magic and made me appreciate just how bad the situation is in some areas.

Doubly frustrating is that it's not universal on the network. Some people still use 2G/3G for talk/text without any such issues and will claim their designed-for-Asia phone works great on T-Mobile, and they're not wholly wrong.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It's no"Ting" at all
    Just another day in paradise.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast