Thread: T-Mobile NR Availability (Global Perspective)

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

T-Mobile NR Availability (Global Perspective)

The nation’s largest 5G network is kicking @zz and taking names!

https://twitter.com/nevilleray/statu...672812032?s=21

Name:  IMG_0104.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  46.0 KB

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone (Silver) Xs Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    (Dual Sim) T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!! Xfinity Mobile (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Yep, it's been an epic ride!!!

Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    The nation’s largest 5G network is kicking @zz and taking names!

https://twitter.com/nevilleray/statu...672812032?s=21

Name:  IMG_0104.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  46.0 KB

That looks good. T-Mo is crushing it in some metric no one has adequately explained...

I might ask you what Twitter asked Neville (and got no answer). What does that graph actually represent?

T-Mo 4G is 96% of what? 5G is 18% of what?

Edit: Nevermind, I found it in OpenSignal's website:

"Availability is not a measure of coverage or the geographic extent of a network, it measures what proportion of time users have a network connection..."

Just downloaded the app for grins. I apologize in advance for bringing the average down...

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    That looks good. T-Mo is crushing it in some metric no one has adequately explained...
    The single-number metric I'd like to see (Which RootMetrics could come up with) would be a population-weighted download speed. It would be the average download speed in every census tract divided by the population of that tract, then average the results. This would be a single metric that would describe the speed that the average potential customer could expect to receive. As with all single-number metrics, it's flawed but it seems reasonable.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post

I might ask you what Twitter asked Neville (and got no answer). What does that graph actually represent?

T-Mo 4G is 96% of what? 5G is 18% of what?

Edit: Nevermind, I found it in OpenSignal's website:

"Availability is not a measure of coverage or the geographic extent of a network, it measures what proportion of time users have a network connection..."

Just downloaded the app for grins. I apologize in advance for bringing the average down...

Yeah stop bringing down the averages.

Random Hypothetical Example: An ATT user may be more likely to see HSPA indoors in theory because ATT has low band HSPA deployed all over the country.

Since T-Mobile doesn’t have low band HSPA (except maybe in Myrtle Beach) our phones in theory may hold onto low band LTE longer indoors thus resulting in higher LTE Availability.

I literally can put my ATT powered Moto G6 into a metal box for a few seconds and the signal will drop to 3G/4G 850 MHz. And it will camp out on that network for a bit. In this case I am negatively affecting ATT’s LTE Availability score.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Yeah stop bringing down the averages.

Random Hypothetical Example: An ATT user may be more likely to see HSPA indoors in theory because ATT has low band HSPA deployed all over the country.

Since T-Mobile doesn’t have low band HSPA (except maybe in Myrtle Beach) our phones in theory may hold onto low band LTE longer indoors thus resulting in higher LTE Availability.

I literally can put my ATT powered Moto G6 into a metal box for a few seconds and the signal will drop to 3G/4G 850 MHz. And it will camp out on that network for a bit. In this case I am negatively affecting ATT’s LTE Availability score.

I certainly didn't mean to make it sound meanacing, like I was going to intentionally try to tank T-Mo's score!

I just happen to be sheltering in place at my elderly mother's house to help her out while she's having some health issues, and, unfortunately for me, T-Mo signal is weak here. Since Mom's a Luddite who's never owned a cell phone or a PC, I've had to get broadband internet installed here to get work done, and am using my T-Mo cell service via WiFi calling/texting. (In the week it took to get Cox to run cable internet service here, I had to use my phone as a hotspot in an upstairs window to get consistent signal.)

While I have a consistent solid T-Mo LTE signal at home in Denver, I'm averaging about 85% so far at my Mom's in Providence, which is below T-Mo's 96%. I may have to uninstall the OpenSignal app until I get back home to Denver!