Thread: T-Mobile US: “ We are ready to Leapfrog “

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile US: “ We are ready to Leapfrog “

Yes, T-Mobile has their sights on passing AT&T and closing the gap on Verizon in customers. AT&T has to lie to their customers by posting 5Ge on their customers phones to make them think they are using 5G services. However T-Mobile new 1.2 Gbps download speed with real 5G NR in New York Even works inside building and you don’t have to stand under the small cell to have try to connect to 5G. With T-Mobile’s Nationwide 5G Network is going to change things in Mobile Networks. 5G is the future that will change things and help get our nation’s economy rolling again.

http://www.rcrwireless.com/20200520/...dy-to-leapfrog

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Yes, T-Mobile has their sights on passing AT&T and closing the gap on Verizon in customers. AT&T has to lie to their customers by posting 5Ge on their customers phones to make them think they are using 5G services. However T-Mobile new 1.2 Gbps download speed with real 5G NR in New York Even works inside building and you don’t have to stand under the small cell to have try to connect to 5G. With T-Mobile’s Nationwide 5G Network is going to change things in Mobile Networks. 5G is the future that will change things and help get our nation’s economy rolling again.

TMO does it too. Shows 5G even when you're not on nr

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5+, Any and all Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    5G is the future that will change things and help get our nation’s economy rolling again.

Did you copy and paste that from a promotional handout by the National 5G Council or something?

Would somebody please remind me when 5G jumped from just being "faster, improved wireless service" to "game changing magic savior that powers all business and the American way of life"?

I don't recall the absolute level of bulls--t being spread nearly this deep when either 3G or 4G first launched. (And as far as 5G getting "our nation's economy rolling again", I'm confused. Does that happen when we buy our 5G network equipment and phones from Chinese companies, or from European companies?)

Sure, I've seen the goofy promotional videos of heart surgeons doing virtual heart transplants from 2000 miles away and stuff like that, but I still don't know what everyone here on HoFo thinks 5G is going to do for *them*? I don't recall there being a lot of heart surgeons hanging out in the forums between virtual operations...

Is there some app or service your phone can't currently handle with just poor ol' LTE? Is UHD video with surround sound not good enough for your 6.5" display? Those PDFs that you currently download in a fraction of a second still don't download fast enough for you?

It's like the stereo Hi-Fi spec wars of the 1970s. ("What, your tape deck only records frequencies humans can hear? Mine also reproduces dog whistles at 28,000Hz...") I get that it must be so satisfying for folks here to post those 1,200Mbps speedtest screenshots and be the envy of dozens, but what is is *getting* anybody? (Having said that, I'm not suggesting the technology shouldn't improve, I'm just curious why everyone is so excited.) Take the PC market. Everyone was so excited about how much faster PC CPUs were getting every year, until basically all PCs became good enough for most tasks, then we all stopped using them and started using iPads instead.

The biggest advantage of 5G I can picture, is hopefully someday when it's more commonplace, T-Mo will bump up their throttles of our hotspots from "3G speeds" to "4G speeds" and international data from "2G" to "3G"...

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    .....Would somebody please remind me when 5G jumped from just being "faster, improved wireless service" to "game changing magic savior that powers all business and the American way of life"?.....
    AFAICT, only two groups care much about 5G: You have the tinfoil hat crowd who seem to believe it's the harbinger of the apocalypse and you have the wireless enthusiasts who believe it's the savior of humankind. No one else cares. They just want a phone that works for them.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    I don't recall the absolute level of bulls--t being spread nearly this deep when either 3G or 4G first launched. (And as far as 5G getting "our nation's economy rolling again", I'm confused.
    In an industry such as this, one has to be very forward thinking. If one waits until the need for 5G becomes apparent to the average person, one has waited too long.

Fortunately, the execs at T-Mobile are such forward thinking individuals. They are moving to have this 5G network constructed ahead of the huge upcoming need. They fought off those who opposed their merger with Sprint and now they're taking the spoils of victory to create the largest 5G network in the country. It's not surprising that many who are against them would downplay the significance of this move.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    In an industry such as this, one has to be very forward thinking. If one waits until the need for 5G becomes apparent to the average person, one has waited too long.

Fortunately, the execs at T-Mobile are such forward thinking individuals. They are moving to have this 5G network constructed ahead of the huge upcoming need. They fought off those who opposed their merger with Sprint and now they're taking the spoils of victory to create the largest 5G network in the country. It's not surprising that many who are against them would downplay the significance of this move.
    You're missing my point, though. I'm not suggesting T-Mo shouldn't be upgrading to 5G. Of course they and other carriers have to plan ahead and stay on the cutting edge else they'll fall behind.

I'm just saying we all don't need to follow them down the rabbit hole. Most of us will end up on 5G soon enough, following the usual upgrade cycle, therefore most of us do not need to be early adopters, because there isn't a compelling application for us to need it (as compared, say, to the upgrade from 2G to 3G, which made quality streaming audio and video possible.)

Last edited by elecconnec; 05-21-2020 at 06:38 PM.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    AFAICT, only two groups care much about 5G: You have the tinfoil hat crowd who seem to believe it's the harbinger of the apocalypse and you have the wireless enthusiasts who believe it's the savior of humankind. No one else cares. They just want a phone that works for them.
    Yup - many on both sides have their propaganda machines in full force as well.
    Pro side:
    - Just about any sales person
    - just about any industry supporting tech that wants 5G devices
    - those that need to build infra
    - government (laws/licenses/)
    - developers

Con side:
    - Environmentalists
    - Conspiracy theorists / tin foil hat (eg. 5G waves will kill you)
    - Those that do not like 'big brother' / eavesdropping / everything being tracked (see conspiracy)
    - Those that do not like/understand technology or change in general
    - Those that want something for free, and believe in the digital divide.

Pro side will typically win, with always a concession to the cons.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Did you copy and paste that from a promotional handout by the National 5G Council or something?

Would somebody please remind me when 5G jumped from just being "faster, improved wireless service" to "game changing magic savior that powers all business and the American way of life"?
    Well. That's absolutely hyperbole -- so let's leave that there. I have no hope if I were to frame a response to that full sentence.

To cherry pick words though from what you've used here -- "game changing"... yes, it could be. Let's for a moment forget about our pocketable devices, because I'd argue that your phone is an afterthought in the 5G world. mmWave, perhaps even 5G in general... think about your house. You can put a big A antenna on your house... like say, a satellite dish. That's an antenna. Let's say we point that more along the horizon, towards a mmWave tower nearby. What is the impact to home internet? That's a real question I want you to consider. Impact to home internet service. Is it a moment like when cable providers entered the phone/internet market? The competition from a non-traditional player really shook up that market.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloTF View Post
    ....The competition from a non-traditional player really shook up that market.
    As with fiber-optic and satellite service, unless it provides better (faster) service at a better price, it's just nice information to know. The problem is that all the current competition is aimed to compete with P.F. Chang's, not McDonald's.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloTF View Post
    Well. That's absolutely hyperbole -- so let's leave that there. I have no hope if I were to frame a response to that full sentence.

To cherry pick words though from what you've used here -- "game changing"... yes, it could be. Let's for a moment forget about our pocketable devices, because I'd argue that your phone is an afterthought in the 5G world. mmWave, perhaps even 5G in general... think about your house. You can put a big A antenna on your house... like say, a satellite dish. That's an antenna. Let's say we point that more along the horizon, towards a mmWave tower nearby. What is the impact to home internet? That's a real question I want you to consider. Impact to home internet service. Is it a moment like when cable providers entered the phone/internet market? The competition from a non-traditional player really shook up that market.
    Oh, I agree that 5G has the ability to be disruptive in fixed broadband, and I hope to benefit from whatever competor it fosters.

That will happen regardless of whether we all run out and buy overpriced (comparatively) first-gen 5G phones, though. I still haven't found a good use case to justify doing that (other than DRNewcomb's suggestion that it might be a anti-congestion play in certain markets.)

Feedback Score
    ...Would somebody please remind me when 5G jumped from just being "faster, improved wireless service" to "game changing magic savior that powers all business and the American way of life"?...
    My guess would be when the marketing department and hyperventilating tech geeks turned the amp up to 11.

The reality is that 5G is somewhere between faster improved and game changing - probably closer to improved than game changing.

5G has very little to do with what we do with our mobile handsets. It's not going to make my conversations more interesting. My data speed is already adequate to good. It has more to do with what it will enable for IoT and M2M with low latency and the ability to service many more devices per cell sector. There is a lot of IoT and M2M already out there. It is mostly in infrastructure things that we generally don't notice. Many of us are familiar with home alarm systems that use cellular. That is IoT.

5G does not magically create capacity or coverage. Capacity still takes about the same amount of spectrum. 5G will pass about 20% more data than LTE. That is nice, but not game changing. Better coverage will still require towers to be built and cells installed on towers or otherwise.

The improvements will come by deploying more spectrum and more towers/cells not because it is 5G. 5G is just the new improved standard. There is no point in building much more new LTE.

I am a fan of T-Mo acquiring Sprint's assets. They have been allowed an advantage in the market. I think they have a good chance of surpassing AT&T in subscribers. That is as much about AT&T's bad business decisions as T-Mo's good ones. I am suspicious of what will happen to pricing if T-Mo gets on par with the current Big-2.

Verizon and AT&T will not be stopping their network builds. We should wind up with three much improved networks rather than two strong and two weak.

Nothing T-Mo improves will degrade my Verizon or AT&T service, which is pretty good. Maybe in a couple of years when I need a new phone T-Mo will have the coverage I need at a price I like. They are not there yet where I am.
    Last edited by bobdevnul; 05-22-2020 at 02:22 PM.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    As DRN mentioned above - all most of us need is a phone that works well. My 1 y.o. Pixel and 3-4 y.o. LG work well.
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    8 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text, data. TM One plan. Get $10/mo. rebate on 7 lines for low data use. Net cost about $185-190/mo. We haven't had a landline in more than 17 years.