Thread: Bandwidth from iPhone (Qualcomm) Field Test Screen?

Feedback Score

Bandwidth from iPhone (Qualcomm) Field Test Screen?

Does anyone know what bandwidth these would be? Also, how do you know from the Qualcomm iPhone screen? Thanks!

All in Canton, New York

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    B5 with earfcn 2585 is 5x5, 66 is most likely 10x10, not sure about 2. Most likely 10x10

Feedback Score
    Related question. I'm new to iPhone. When I dial the field test, it comes up and gives me the serving cell info. However, the date is last week. Is there a way to refresh the info? I've run it a few times and the data stays the same as it was on the indicated date.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtvaquero View Post
    Related question. I'm new to iPhone. When I dial the field test, it comes up and gives me the serving cell info. However, the date is last week. Is there a way to refresh the info? I've run it a few times and the data stays the same as it was on the indicated date.
    You need to be on the field test screen, go into multitasking and swipe up to force close the app to make it refresh the data.

Sent from my iPad using HoFo

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)

Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by THoAddict01 View Post
    Does anyone know what bandwidth these would be? Also, how do you know from the Qualcomm iPhone screen? Thanks!

All in Canton, New York
    I can try to guide you through this the best I can, and if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

For B5, the EARFCN ends in 5, which is a pretty sure fire sign that itís 5 MHz. Because the B5 LTE band class was only certified for 10 MHz, it isnít possible for it to be wider than 10 MHz. EARFCNís ending in 5 generally (but not always) are 5 or 15 MHz.

For B2, the EARFCN ends in 5 as well, which means it could be 5 or 15 MHz. Plug the EARFCN 1075 into an EARFCN calculator and you get 1997.5 MHz, which centers around PCS C1 block. This block alone is 5 MHz... the issue is if Verizon owns both F and C2 blocks, the channel can be 15 MHz. Have you ever broken 15 Mbps UL with B2 as PCC?

The PCS band plan, for reference:

For B66, if the EARFCN ends in 1, itís a 5 or 15 MHz channel. If it ends in a 6, itís a 10 or 20 MHz channel. Inputting the EARFCN 66836 gives a center download frequency of 2150 MHz. In the AWS band plan, this centers right in the center of F block, which is 10 MHz. The likelyhood that Verizon decided to say screw B4 only devices out of AWS isnít really reasonable, so you can be 99.9% sure this is a 10 MHz channel. I say this because Verizon owns E+F+G blocks here, but decides to only use E+F blocks as one channel and G as another. Once the device penetration for AWS-3 is high enough, Iím sure they will widen it to 20 MHz.

The AWS band plan, for reference:

Hope this clears some of this up for you. Another alternative is getting an Intel modem iPhone, which are far too demonized due to misconstrued reports on RF performance.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    I can try to guide you through this the best I can, and if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

For B5, the EARFCN ends in 5, which is a pretty sure fire sign that itís 5 MHz. Because the B5 LTE band class was only certified for 10 MHz, it isnít possible for it to be wider than 10 MHz. EARFCNís ending in 5 generally (but not always) are 5 or 15 MHz.

For B2, the EARFCN ends in 5 as well, which means it could be 5 or 15 MHz. Plug the EARFCN 1075 into an EARFCN calculator and you get 1997.5 MHz, which centers around PCS C1 block. This block alone is 5 MHz... the issue is if Verizon owns both F and C2 blocks, the channel can be 15 MHz. Have you ever broken 15 Mbps UL with B2 as PCC?

The PCS band plan, for reference:

For B66, if the EARFCN ends in 1, itís a 5 or 15 MHz channel. If it ends in a 6, itís a 10 or 20 MHz channel. Inputting the EARFCN 66836 gives a center download frequency of 2150 MHz. In the AWS band plan, this centers right in the center of F block, which is 10 MHz. The likelyhood that Verizon decided to say screw B4 only devices out of AWS isnít really reasonable, so you can be 99.9% sure this is a 10 MHz channel. I say this because Verizon owns E+F+G blocks here, but decides to only use E+F blocks as one channel and G as another. Once the device penetration for AWS-3 is high enough, Iím sure they will widen it to 20 MHz.

The AWS band plan, for reference:

Hope this clears some of this up for you. Another alternative is getting an Intel modem iPhone, which are far too demonized due to misconstrued reports on RF performance.

That is very helpful, thank you very much! Iím probably going to upgrade from my iPhone X to the 12 when it comes out. Hopefully the Verizon version is Intel, so I can access the better field test mode screen.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    Another alternative is getting an Intel modem iPhone, which are far too demonized due to misconstrued reports on RF performance.

HoFo
    My Intel 11 Pro is as good or better than many of the Qualcomm iPhones I had over the years. My Intel iPhone XS was terrible however and constantly needed toggling of airplane mode but I've also had that issue with many Qualcomm iPhones too in certain areas.

My guess is that the iOS software leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to modem performance and quickly selecting the right band, etc. and I've never really felt that Apple got the modem software "just right".

I've had Verizon Qualcomm iPhones that would sit on "3G" for long periods of time when they should have been on 4G LTE. This could be remedied by toggling airplane mode vs. waiting 5+ minutes for the phone to figure it out eventually.

Feedback Score
    That is very helpful, thank you very much! Iím probably going to upgrade from my iPhone X to the 12 when it comes out. Hopefully the Verizon version is Intel, so I can access the better field test mode screen.
    Isn't the 12 going to have a Qualcomm with 5G?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtvaquero View Post
    Isn't the 12 going to have a Qualcomm with 5G?
    Good point, I forgot about that. Hopefully the Field Test Mode screen at least improves with it. Theyíll have to tweak some stuff in there because it will be the first 5G iPhone.

Feedback Score
    Good point, I forgot about that. Hopefully the Field Test Mode screen at least improves with it. Theyíll have to tweak some stuff in there because it will be the first 5G iPhone.
    Iím just gonna hold off till Apple comes out with their own in house modems and baseband. After all they did buy up all of Intelís talent and intellectual properties.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Bandwidth from iPhone (Qualcomm) Field Test Screen?

Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    Iím just gonna hold off till Apple comes out with their own in house modems and baseband. After all they did buy up all of Intelís talent and intellectual properties.
    I hope youíve got a pretty new phone and no need for 5G anytime soon. Apple wonít be releasing an iPhone with their own modem until 2022 at least. I wouldnít be surprised if that date slips to 2023 either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
    I hope you’ve got a pretty new phone and no need for 5G anytime soon. Apple won’t be releasing an iPhone with their own modem until 2022 at least. I wouldn’t be surprised if that date slips to 2023 either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yup just picked up an 11 Pro in January for those exact reasons. I’m seriously hoping Apple will use the Intel field test layout.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    Yup just picked up an 11 Pro in January for those exact reasons. I’m seriously hoping Apple will use the Intel field test layout.
    Good! The 11 Pro is the first iPhone I've been happy with in awhile and I've been using iPhones (and upgrading annually) since 2008 when the iPhone 3G was released. I *may* not even upgrade to the iPhone 12 this year and may instead wait until Apple's 2nd gen. 5G iPhone to upgrade. Undecided at this point!