Thread: True or False: Verizon Prepaid Number Can Be Ported Out Within 60 Days of Active Service

Device(s)
    s8/s8+/Nexus5x
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

True or False: Verizon Prepaid Number Can Be Ported Out Within 60 Days of Active Service

So with Verizon Prepaid, if you have no money or autopay setup and your plan does not renew, you lose service but your number is held for 60 days, in which time you can add money and restart your plan. Within that time I am assuming the number is still safe to port out.

Is this a correct assumption?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmsilver99 View Post
    So with Verizon Prepaid, if you have no money or autopay setup and your plan does not renew, you lose service but your number is held for 60 days, in which time you can add money and restart your plan. Within that time I am assuming the number is still safe to port out.

Is this a correct assumption?
    Bump. I'd also like to know. 180 views and nobody knows?

Device(s)
    Alcatel Fierce 2, VMoto E, Kyocera Icon, Lumia 640, Several Dumb Phones
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Smartel, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    My educated guess is that one can port out of an inactive/suspended account. However I also think you will be at the mercy of Verizon for it actually happening outside of finding such policy in the written terms.

Carrier(s)
    ATT, TMO, VZ
    Feedback Score
    At the time of port, the line must be active. So, if you allow it to lapse and come back later and restart service, you can port out until your service becomes inactive.

Sent from my iPad using HoFo

Feedback Score
    I have a Verizon prepaid line that was a month past renewal, and obviously was suspended. Just for fun, I tried to port it out today, and it worked! The myth that it won’t work has been busted.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dthoward View Post
    I have a Verizon prepaid line that was a month past renewal, and obviously was suspended. Just for fun, I tried to port it out today, and it worked! The myth that it won’t work has been busted.
    If the phone # was inactive for 2 or more months, I seriously doubt it could be ported, likely the number will be re-assigned to another customer. The carrier will allow the mobile to be ported for only a limited time frame on an inactive mobile #.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    if calling the number gets a message like 'the person is unavailable please try again later' you should be able to port out. on the other hand if its 'the number you have called is disconnected or not in service' than you are probably too late.

one other thing, if the account was activated but never had any payments made they may refuse to provide the necessary account number for porting out. i believe they initiated this policy a few years ago when a large number of accounts were being activated solely for the purposes of acquiring numbers to use for port in promo on boost, metro, etc. if you got someone to get the account number(such as employee at Verizon store) you could still port out but the accounts were flagged as 'not fully activated' and customer services instructed to refuse providing account numbers without an initial payment first.

none of what i just posted is from very recent experience so things may of changed

Device(s)
    Alcatel Fierce 2, VMoto E, Kyocera Icon, Lumia 640, Several Dumb Phones
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Smartel, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Funny how this is not answered by way of written policy or first hand knowledge(Verizon employee, etc).

I personally, successfully ported, which was completed 1 day after my Verizon Prepaid plan officially terminated.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The answer is that if someone needs to know the official policy, they have to contact customer service directly. I can't provide a written policy either. Simple as that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gwite View Post
    Funny how this is not answered by way of written policy or first hand knowledge(Verizon employee, etc).

I personally, successfully ported, which was completed 1 day after my Verizon Prepaid plan officially terminated.
    its not always that simple, especially in this time of phone number being sold on ebay for specific purpose of obtaining port deals. there is some discretion in these issues. i don't believe any of the carriers want to deny what they consider a 'legitimate' port out. but if they feel the number was obtained for the purpose of porting they may see it different and enforce typically not enforced policies.

i know a major change is coming to AT&T port out's tomorrow. under certain circumstances(they are not saying what those circumstances are, but i believe it means 'very new account') to complete the port a text will be sent to customers at&t phone that they must reply too to confirm.

no guidance as of yet on how it will work if no old phone available to receive text but i imagine it will be possible to call at&t and provide details to identify yourself and still port out. i imagine if the number is brand new and the account has never been funded(the case with the ebay 'numbers for port out promo') they will refuse to approve the port.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gwite View Post
    My educated guess is that one can port out of an inactive/suspended account. However I also think you will be at the mercy of Verizon for it actually happening outside of finding such policy in the written terms.
    When I left Sprint several years ago. I got Verizon Prepaid service. My account with Sprint was in good standing. I cancelled my service because Sprint Network Vision was taking a long time to conclude in my area. I was using Sprint and Boost Mobile but they were tied up in that endless upgrade that seemed to never end. I could not make calls or use the internet outside of the home. I had to stay home and tied up under wifi to get my cell and tablet to work.

I asked Verizon to port my number. They honored my request. It was 3 or 4 days later that I got a response from them. They did not port my number. They gave me a different number. A few months down the road it needed to be changed again. So, It is a toss up! Verizon will port your number in good standing or not. They didn't port mine. I've always accused Verizon of having something against their rivals. You can see it in this porting game they play! May be it's of no benefit to Verizon ---> they don't get any money from the customer for providing this free service. And you know Big Red loves money. And a lot of it!

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk