Thread: VoLTE / WiFi Calling on non-telus devices?

Feedback Score

Question VoLTE / WiFi Calling on non-telus devices?

So I found this article over on MobileSyrup and wondering what the state of their claims are, does Telus or has any other carrier for that matter, finally allowed WiFi calling / VoLTE / Carrier Aggregation on international phones? Say a Note 10+ or S20?

When I say international I do mean international, unlocked phones. Not unlocked phones purchased in Canada, because those already have all the carrier settings baked in anyways.

At least I can say this for apple, the iPhone seems to support all 3 (VolTE / WiFi Calling / Carrier Aggregation) regardless of where the phone was purchased... Samsung / Android's that's never been the case.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/02/15/t...telus-devices/

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    A good step but not enough to have "approved devices". Just turn it on for every phone if the customer requests it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cloneman View Post
    A good step but not enough to have "approved devices". Just turn it on for every phone if the customer requests it.
    Yes I agree. VoLTE, WiFi calling and Carrier Aggregation have been some of the most poorly implemented things on Android - I was expecting them to be part of the 3GPP consortium or whatever it is.

Remember when Steve Jobs said facetime would be an open standard? In an ode to him, Tim should make this a reality.

Either way, the question still remains. Has anyone with an international Note 10 / S20 (usually the F/DS variants) been able to get on any of the above with Telus?

Feedback Score
    Are you sure about CA not working on international phones? Do you mean zero combos are supported, or just a subset?
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sheytoon View Post
    Are you sure about CA not working on international phones? Do you mean zero combos are supported, or just a subset?
    Well I believe this was the case when I had an S8 Plus (due to the whole Note 7 fiasco)... Not sure if that at least has changed.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, OnePlus One, Moto E 2nd gen.
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    CA combo support is very device dependent, I have yet to see a network worldwide that would block CA based off a device. I had no issues with CA not working on multiple phones (Oneplus, Xiaomi, etc), all on Telus and Rogers.

The problem you probably had was your device hardware and CSC combo did not allow/support the combos to be used. Device manufacturers like Samsung define exact combos for CA meticulously per CSC, so if your phone was set to something like EE UK CSC, you wouldnt have any supported CA combo and hence no CA. Then there is also a hardware supported CA combos, which have to overlap with the CSC config.

VoLTE and VoWiFi is a whole different matter, it seems all providers in Canada are doing some sort of "certification" checks before allowing it, some by IMEI some by APN, etc.