Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Moto e5 signal issue

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cookieabc View Post
    If the problem is Verizon signal then I want to try Tmobile or ATT sim.
    Do you or any family member have another phone with Tracfone service? If yes, take its SIM and put it into the Moto E5. The Moto E5 can work with all TF SIMs (AT&T, T-mo, Verizon). If the problem also occurs with another SIM or carrier, then the phone is bad.

Feedback Score
    Although the Voice Network Type is now LTE just like the E5, I haven't noticed the no service signal yet.
    Signal strength from both phones is about the same and in the range of -110 and -118
    Are you north or south of MD Hwy 5? Verizon towers are all north of there and would be mostly out of range. You ZIP code on Verizon shows south of Hwy 5.

Name:  Verizon_United_States_of_America_Cellular_Coverage_and_Tower_Map.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  50.3 KB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Are you north or south of MD Hwy 5? Verizon towers are all north of there and would be mostly out of range. You ZIP code on Verizon shows south of Hwy 5.
    That's the Cellmapper.net map right ? Isn't that just based on people that use their app and report a tower?
    I could never find a map like that that isn't based on user input. Is there one other then putting an app on your phone that gives the info on the tower you're using like you mentioned before ?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    I could never find a map like that that isn't based on user input. Is there one other then putting an app on your phone that gives the info on the tower you're using like you mentioned before ?
    The cellmapper app on a phone will limit it's reading to the cell tower you are currently connected, just like the other signal apps. Yes, cellmapper.com is an overview of local towers that is not usually up to date. My point was to illustrate the OP's area can be very weak for towers with every carrier. Their present signal readings are not very good.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score

Since you said this, I went there and looked myself too. Now, I see it why it is very spotty issue for the OP.

The OP might have a little better chance with AT&T based system from what it looks like from CellMapper. That is hard to tell tho.

Then I looked at OpenSignal. There is not that much info in that area, but it shows Verizon have a little better coverage in that area.

So it is hard to tell in this area where the OP lives.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Do you or any family member have another phone with Tracfone service? If yes, take its SIM and put it into the Moto E5. The Moto E5 can work with all TF SIMs (AT&T, T-mo, Verizon). If the problem also occurs with another SIM or carrier, then the phone is bad.
    Moto E5 is the only phone with TF

Feedback Score

I'm south of hwy 5

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    Since you said this, I went there and looked myself too. Now, I see it why it is very spotty issue for the OP.

The OP might have a little better chance with AT&T based system from what it looks like from CellMapper. That is hard to tell tho.

Then I looked at OpenSignal. There is not that much info in that area, but it shows Verizon have a little better coverage in that area.

So it is hard to tell in this area where the OP lives.
    About 4 yrs ago I switched from ATT sim to Verizon sim due to 1 bar or no signal. I've had no problem since but lately almost every call the person on the other end says my voice is breaking up. I don't know if ATT or Tmobile has improved since but I plan to try either or both.

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Verizon may have replaced panels or moved to a different tower & inadvertently reduced your signal. Add that in with trees leaving out & maturing over time & you may lose signal strength.

T-Mobiles map doesn't look promising according to their own map. It shows a lot of pink/fair coverage in your area which many times means no coverage with a handheld device.

If in your shoes I would try ATT with a cheap one month sim card to see how well it fares in your area before switching from Verizon. I use Red Pocket for testing coverage which will give you 500 minutes, texts & MB's. ($10.00) Do you have an unlocked phone you can use for testing?

Feedback Score
    Yes I have an unlocked phone

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Moto E5 is the only phone with TF
    Your E5 with Tracfone service will also accept an Active AT&T/T-Mobile/Verizon SIM swap from any of the other Tracfone Sister Company. It is only locked to Companies/providers outside of the Tracfone Family.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    Verizon may have replaced panels or moved to a different tower & inadvertently reduced your signal.
    Yep, Verizon has been changing the tower configurations. The towers in the OP's area mostly show Band 2, which is not the best for range.

"Band 2 (1900MHz): this is a band that Verizon is actively transitioning from 2G/3G for use for LTE".

Yes, "fair" on a T-Mobile map is usually no coverage.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I know I get a weird issue here at one town, and it could be like the OP too. Some reason at any time of the year, this one town near me has weird coverage issue. In the town that I have this issue, you get slow or no cell service. The town is only about 7 miles from the tower, and is on flat land too. My dad gets into this spot every day when going to work. Even Verizon users in this town has the same issue. This has been happening for at least 5 years too.

Feedback Score
    About 4 yrs ago I switched from ATT sim to Verizon sim due to 1 bar or no signal. I've had no problem since but lately almost every call the person on the other end says my voice is breaking up. I don't know if ATT or Tmobile has improved since but I plan to try either or both.
    Makes sense why AT&T would be poor, as there is only 1 tower which is on Hwy 5. T-Mobile shows poor on their coverage map, even though there are 3 towers on Hwy 5.

What keeps you from going to another test location, like at least Hwy 5?

Feedback Score
    At the area you suggested I get 3-4 bars. The problem is at my location and it started recently.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast