Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Moto e5 signal issue

Feedback Score
    Yes the spare phone supports VoLTE.

I just put the sim in the spare phone and notice Voice Network Type is 1xRTT but the moto e5 is LTE. Is this the problem?

screenshot of the spare phone
    Name:  sparePhone.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  59.4 KB

screenshot of the moto e5
    Name:  motoE5.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  54.2 KB

Feedback Score
    BTW, what model is the spare phone ?

Also there appears to be a 6 hr time difference between the 2 phones. Maybe when you had the sim in the spare is when you were dropping LTE per your original issue; when in the E5 it was back to LTE ? Which would say it's the tower, not the phone ? Or something isn't set right in the spare? Just keep running and checking the spare for awhile and see it LTE is on again, off again, like you were experiencing with the E5.
    Give it a day or more.

Feedback Score
    "Old phone" just doesn't sound right
    I'm not sure this answers your question but the E5 screenshot was taken early this month. The one from the spare was taken moment ago.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cookieabc View Post
    "Old phone" just doesn't sound right
    1xRTT has lousy sound quality. Everything choppy and distorted. I'm surprised anyone put up with it. Our local police had it for some of the officers' cell phones. When they had to call someone, it was barely intelligible.

Your old phone is just working with what's available. Now you see why LTE is such an improvement. I don't know why the LTE keeps disappearing.

Feedback Score
    I think the E5 should get 1xRTT if it can't get LTE.

Feedback Score
    Yes the spare phone supports VoLTE.

I just put the sim in the spare phone and notice Voice Network Type is 1xRTT but the moto e5 is LTE. Is this the problem?
    Old phone is not using HD Voice, as it likely does not run on VoLTE. Is that toggled on in the Phone Info menu, as it shows with the E5? VoLTE call reception can be better than CDMA (1xRTT) voice, even without HD Voice further cleaning up the signal. Often depends on which LTE band is being used. CDMA voice is notoriously lousy.

Feedback Score
    This morning I had a call using the E5. The person on the other end kept saying that I'm breaking up even when I was outside.
    I agree low sound quality is better than no signal.

Feedback Score
    Yes the 2 screenshots in post #16 are from the Phone Info. It's the default settings after putting the sim in then rebooting the phone.
    I just reboot the phone again and now it shows LTE instead of 1xRTT.
    I'll monitor it for awhile

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Sounds like you have a really weak 1x & LTE signal. My guess. . . . a combination of tower work that was done at some point and now the leaves are on the trees just making it worse.

You may need to consider switching carriers. Do you know if AT&T or T- works at your location? If you have to stick with Verizon your will likely have to get a booster.($300.00 +)

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    This morning I had a call using the E5. The person on the other end kept saying that I'm breaking up even when I was outside.
    I suggest getting the LTE Discovery app. It shows both the LTE signal and the 1xRTT signal. It also shows the data and voice network types in use.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.ltediscovery

Did you ever try the E5 somewhere else?

Feedback Score
    Yes the 2 screenshots in post #16 are from the Phone Info. It's the default settings after putting the sim in then rebooting the phone.
    I just reboot the phone again and now it shows LTE instead of 1xRTT.
    I'll monitor it for awhile
    So that's with your spare /old phone ? (I'm still curios what your "old" phone model is).

That means your old phone is doing the same LTE in and out as your E5 ? I've had that issue occasionally and a reboot fixed it, but my votes on the signal since both phones are acting the same. Guess the sim could do it, but rules out the phone if they both act the same.

Where I'm at (rural) I never have much better then -110dBm on VoLTE and it's still fine. On 1xRTT it wouldn't work at that dBm. VoLTE has a more negative usable parameter.

Feedback Score
    According to the zip code provided in the first post, there should be AT&T coverage there. Maybe that will be better.

Feedback Score
    If the problem is Verizon signal then I want to try Tmobile or ATT sim. The thing is it started recently and prior to this no body complaint about my voice breaking up.
    Lately I only go somewhere else briefly and I don't check it when I'm out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    So that's with your spare /old phone ? (I'm still curios what your "old" phone model is).

That means your old phone is doing the same LTE in and out as your E5 ? I've had that issue occasionally and a reboot fixed it, but my votes on the signal since both phones are acting the same. Guess the sim could do it, but rules out the phone if they both act the same.

Where I'm at (rural) I never have much better then -110dBm on VoLTE and it's still fine. On 1xRTT it wouldn't work at that dBm. VoLTE has a more negative usable parameter.
    Although the Voice Network Type is now LTE just like the E5, I haven't noticed the no service signal yet.
    Signal strength from both phones is about the same and in the range of -110 and -118

Feedback Score
    Although the Voice Network Type is now LTE just like the E5, I haven't noticed the no service signal yet.
    Signal strength from both phones is about the same and in the range of -110 and -118
    -118 on LTE is living on the edge, where the red starts (1 bar) on the Network Cell Info Lite app. -110 on LTE is usable ( 2 bars just shy of 3). -98dBm or more positive (4 bars.)

Where as with 1xRTT the red starts at -95dBm.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast