Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Unlocking + Porting out -- too ambitious?

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post
    I know that Tracfone is not always consistent in applying rules, but....

We transferred to new phones on the same lines-- Fiesta 2's that came in a bundle with a year of time + units.
    After 1 year + a few days, both Fiesta 2's were successfully unlocked via the online unlock request portal.
    No additional refills or add-ons were added during that year.
    So, at least in my case, the bundled year of service did qualify for unlocking.
    You're right that TF isn't always consistent in applying rules...

In Feb 2019, I bought two Fiesta 2 in a buy-one-get-one-free deal and each came with 1-yr 1200/1200/1200. I activated Fiesta #1 with a transfer from a flip phone, then a few day later activated Fiesta #2 with a transfer from #1. My wife has been using the Fiesta #2 phone since.

After reading your post, I checked to see if Fiesta #2 is qualified for unlocking and the TF Unlocking web site says it is not.

Feedback Score
    OP here. Thank you for your replies. One more port-out-newbie question -- will the new carrier require me to have active service with Tracfone in order to port-in my number? TIA.

(BTW hpham, you are my new hero, with your haul of $3,000 on your thirteen port-outs!!)

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jettable View Post
    One more port-out-newbie question -- will the new carrier require me to have active service with Tracfone in order to port-in my number?
    It's not a requirement by the new carrier, but if your phone number is not active with TF then it can be re-assigned by TF very quickly. They will hold the balance of a deactivated phone for 30 days, but not the phone number.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post

In Feb 2019, I bought two Fiesta 2 in a buy-one-get-one-free deal and each came with 1-yr 1200/1200/1200. I activated Fiesta #1 with a transfer from a flip phone, then a few day later activated Fiesta #2 with a transfer from #1. My wife has been using the Fiesta #2 phone since.

After reading your post, I checked to see if Fiesta #2 is qualified for unlocking and the TF Unlocking web site says it is not.
    Thanks for checking, hpham! My Fiesta 2's were bought through the same offer as yours, and followed the exact same path (one transferred from an existing smartphone, one from an existing featurephone, both transferred through a first Fiesta 2 to a second Fiesta 2). I was slower in the process, though, and didn't get the 'final' Fiesta 2s activated until May 2019.

Sorry to hear that yours didn't qualify, and it's hard to see why mine would and yours didn't. I sure wish Tracfone would be consistent and predictable in applying the unlocking policy, whatever it is.....

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Due to other phone issues, I signed up for a phone/year service in the last couple weeks. I had already figured that it would be safest to add some time before the year is up anyway so it is still active > 12 months from initial activation so I can unlock the phone and decide what to do then.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

Device(s)
    Unlocked Tracfone iPhone SE & iPhone 6S, Tracfone Samsung Luna Pro, Tracfone LG Rebel 4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score

If you haven't done so already you should call the Tracfone unlocking department at 1-888-442-5102 and ask them why they/the portal won't unlock it. I have found them helpful in the past with getting a friends iPhone to unlock.
    Member formerly known as "lappers"

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tomseys View Post
    If you haven't done so already you should call the Tracfone unlocking department at 1-888-442-5102 and ask them why they/the portal won't unlock it. I have found them helpful in the past with getting a friends iPhone to unlock.
    I will call them just for my curiosity. I don't really plan to use that phone with another provider. Besides rolling over 2 airtime bundles, I also added a $39 1-yr 1200/1200/1200 card a few months ago. So, that should have met all the requirements.

Device(s)
    Unlocked Tracfone iPhone SE & iPhone 6S, Tracfone Samsung Luna Pro, Tracfone LG Rebel 4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I will call them just for my curiosity. I don't really plan to use that phone with another provider. Besides rolling over 2 airtime bundles, I also added a $39 1-yr 1200/1200/1200 card a few months ago. So, that should have met all the requirements.
    Yup. GL with it.

Feedback Score
    It's not a requirement by the new carrier, but if your phone number is not active with TF then it can be re-assigned by TF very quickly. They will hold the balance of a deactivated phone for 30 days, but not the phone number.
    Hmm, in light of this I'm starting to think it may be too ambitious to do the whole unlocking PLUS porting out thing. Probably better to just stick to unlocking alone.

Feedback Score
    BTW, it seems that AlexTrac is indeed a bot - I got a PM in response to this thread, saying -

"Hi jettable. This is Alex from Tracfone Wireless. For us to address your concern about port process, please contact us via chat at http://bit.ly/2qdrKHH or call our hotline number at 1-800-867-7183. For your convenience, our representatives are available Monday-Sunday from 8:00 AM to 11:45 PM EST. You can also text the keyword HELP to 611611. Thank you."

even though I don't have any "concerns" about the port process! And after the CS horror stories I've read here, there's no way I'm wasting my time on Tracfone CS trying to get answers to my unlocking+port questions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2