Thread: SIM Swap nano-SIM to eSIM

Feedback Score

SIM Swap nano-SIM to eSIM

Hey,
    I'm trying to get AT&T to swap my nano-SIM to an eSIM as I rather use the nano-SIM slot for a local SIM while travelling. Has anyone have recent success doing this?

I first went to an AT&T store who reluctantly set me up with one. I scanned the QR code with my iphone, and it accepted it fine when I went through the process of adding a cellular plan. However, I can never get service using the eSIM. The nano-SIM still is fine. Its like the swap never happened with the eSIM getting fully provisioned.

I contacted AT&T via online chat, who had issues trying to activate the eSIM the AT&T store gave me, and directed me to call tech support. They were also having trouble getting the eSIM to work and sent me another one in the mail.

I tried that new one as well, though with the same results, no service with the eSIM. The phone was purchased directly from Apple, unlocked, without a contract.

Any ideas what may be wrong here or how to guide AT&T in resolving this?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro & 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    eSIM swaps are the Achilles heel for AT&T CS. No one seems to know how to do them. Dumb question, but I'll start here. Prior to activating the eSIM, did you remove the nano-SIM from your device? Make sure you are connected to wifi also.
    Your results may vary. Network performance differs per user location.

Feedback Score
    I have a second phone I can try that on, or also go through the process of deleting the eSIM and adding it back with the physical SIM card removed. Trying to get this done on two phones, though going one at a time now, until I can get some success.

The AT&T store really didn't want to do this in the first place. Seem like the real reason why is nobody knows how to do this.

When I called in, they understood exactly what I wanted to do, but doesn't seem like they were able to pull it off.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by winterstout View Post
    Hey, I'm trying to get AT&T to swap my nano-SIM to an eSIM as I rather use the nano-SIM slot for a local SIM while travelling. Has anyone have recent success doing this? I first went to an AT&T store who reluctantly set me up with one. I scanned the QR code with my iphone, and it accepted it fine when I went through the process of adding a cellular plan. However, I can never get service using the eSIM. The nano-SIM still is fine. Its like the swap never happened with the eSIM getting fully provisioned. I contacted AT&T via online chat, who had issues trying to activate the eSIM the AT&T store gave me, and directed me to call tech support. They were also having trouble getting the eSIM to work and sent me another one in the mail. I tried that new one as well, though with the same results, no service with the eSIM. The phone was purchased directly from Apple, unlocked, without a contract. Any ideas what may be wrong here or how to guide AT&T in resolving this?
    see this thread - https://forums.att.com/conversations...d5f2f606112172

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7t Pro 5G McLaren; iPhone 11 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile & AT&T
    Feedback Score
    i have had success with AT&T switching from Nano to eSim no issues for me.. I have a business account, I doubt that make a difference!
    OnePlus 7t Pro McLaren 5G (T-Mobile)

iPhone SE Red 128GB (T-Mobile)

LG V60 5G (AT&T)

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro & 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mofoliar View Post
    i have had success with AT&T switching from Nano to eSim no issues for me.. I have a business account, I doubt that make a difference!
    Did you use Premier?

I usually do the switch via Change SIM/IMEI > Enter iPhone Digital IMEI > Enter iPhone EID > Submit. Love that it doesn't require the stupid SIM QR code cards from the store.

Device(s)
    IPhone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T Mobley
    Feedback Score
    Do you have the esim set to primary for calls and data? In setting does your phone still show sim slot phone number with sim out? Mine did, I had to do a reset network settings and restart phone to get my port and switch to esim to work. After that all is well.
    Paul Thurrott:
    Not now mom, somebody's wrong on the Internet

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7t Pro 5G McLaren; iPhone 11 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile & AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TWX View Post
    Did you use Premier?

I usually do the switch via Change SIM/IMEI > Enter iPhone Digital IMEI > Enter iPhone EID > Submit. Love that it doesn't require the stupid SIM QR code cards from the store.
    The 1st time I did it I had to goto the store last yr.. Then I switched to Business account and just gave the info to my business acct. guy and he did it on his end!