Thread: Moving sim to another phone

Carrier(s)
    TmobileToGo
    Feedback Score

Moving sim to another phone

When I switched from Pageplus 3g to 4g I bought a cheap Tracfone Alcatel TLX. Phone worked fine with included Trac sim. I recently tried moving the sim to an unlocked Moto G6 and iPhone 6s, both voLTE. In both cases when making a call I got the message welcome to Verizon. We will connect you to an external operator.

I thought Verizon type services now worked like ATT and T-Mobile where you could move the sim to your heart's content. Not the case? When I moved the sim back to the original phone everything worked fine.

Any thoughts?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nokiayes View Post
    When I switched from Pageplus 3g to 4g I bought a cheap Tracfone Alcatel TLX. Phone worked fine with included Trac sim. I recently tried moving the sim to an unlocked Moto G6 and iPhone 6s, both voLTE. In both cases when making a call I got the message welcome to Verizon. We will connect you to an external operator.

I thought Verizon type services now worked like ATT and T-Mobile where you could move the sim to your heart's content. Not the case? When I moved the sim back to the original phone everything worked fine.

Any thoughts?
    I don't understand the message you got. What happened after that as far as "connect to external operator" ? What did the phone do ?
    Did you do anything else like punch in an activation code after you swapped? (you don't need to)

I've moved sims with PP many times since unlike other Vzw MVNOs, PP will (or did) auto update the imei/sim pairing which I would believe is still a VZW requirement. Phones always worked fine though I think I did need to change the APN on a VZW branded phone once. It's been at least 6 months since I last confirmed with PP that they still do the auto update and checked that they were showing my current combinations. I've even swapped native TF branded sims with TF BYOP sims and PP BYOP sims (which are the same as TF). Maybe they changed.

Do a chat. Tell them you just want to move your phone number and balance to a different phone and if their system will take care of the repairing. Originally (years ago) I chatted and told them I wanted to move my account to a new phone. They told me then, and several times since when i just wanted to make sure they still do that, that if the sim's the same size I can just move it and their system will change things next time I use the phone. Never had any issues and a couple times I did a chat to confirm my current pairing; all was good. But like I said, last time was about 6 months ago.

Feedback Score

Any thoughts?
    As I understand it, Tracfone branded phones and the SIMs that come with them are locked to being paired. They have actually lightened up somewhat over the past few years so that they allowed you to activate a Tracfone branded phone on PP.

BYO SIMs do not have this limitation.

If you have used the phone for the required unlocking time, you may be able to get it unlocked and transfer service to a BYO SIM. After that you could move the SIM between compatible phones.

Alternatively, if you just want to abandon the Alcatel and use the G6, you could active the G6 with a BYO SIM with a transfer of service from the Alcatel.

I have a G6 - nice phone for the price for Verizon based services. Not so good for T-Mobile since it doesn't have LTE band 71.

Feedback Score
    I activated a TF branded MyFlip on PP with the sim that came in it. Within a couple weeks moved that sim to my unlocked E4. Put an activated TF BYOP sim from a 3rd phone (which I was trying out) into the MyFlip. Been a year since I did that. No problems. All imei/sims re-paired. All's been good with the MyFlip and E4.

Maybe they changed.

OP, were the Moto G6 and iPhone 6s ever active on another carrier ? Maybe an APN thing. I recall being told on here once that the APN could stay with the phone and not reset when putting in another sim.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    I activated a TF branded MyFlip on PP with the sim that came in it. Within a couple weeks moved that sim to my unlocked E4. Put an activated TF BYOP sim from a 3rd phone (which I was trying out) into the MyFlip. Been a year since I did that. No problems. All imei/sims re-paired. All's been good with the MyFlip and E4.

Maybe they changed.

OP, were the Moto G6 and iPhone 6s ever active on another carrier ? Maybe an APN thing. I recall being told on here once that the APN could stay with the phone and not reset when putting in another sim.
    I think your experience is more relevant. My info was from some time ago. Maybe America Movil has stopped the forced paring of their branded phones and the SIMs that come with them. It could also be hit and miss which ones are not force paired. It's not like AM is real consistent with things.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I think your experience is more relevant. My info was from some time ago. Maybe America Movil has stopped the forced paring of their branded phones and the SIMs that come with them. It could also be hit and miss which ones are not force paired. It's not like AM is real consistent with things.
    I am with Straight Talk, another Tracfone brand. I have been able to move SIMs between phones with no issues, but if you call up support for help and they don't match up with their system, they want to correct this issue before they will help you.

Carrier(s)
    TmobileToGo
    Feedback Score
    OP here. The problem seems to have resolved itself. The error message that I was getting basically said thanks for using Verizon wireless. We will connect you to an external operator where you can pay for your call using a credit or calling card. It seems to be ok now.

Feedback Score
    OP here. The problem seems to have resolved itself. The error message that I was getting basically said thanks for using Verizon wireless. We will connect you to an external operator where you can pay for your call using a credit or calling card. It seems to be ok now.
    Does it work with both phones the SIM was swapped to?

Carrier(s)
    TmobileToGo
    Feedback Score
    Yes it does.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I'm curious if you reset the network settings before inserting the SIM. It could be that the phones had last been used on Verizon and the CDMA side of the phone was set up for Verizon.
    Donald Newcomb