Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who Here Is Using A Smartphone That Can Use Two SIMs?

Feedback Score

Who Here Is Using A Smartphone That Can Use Two SIMs?

As posted above, who here is carrying a smartphone capable of two SIMs? If so, are you taking advantage of that and using two different carriers? If so, which two, and why?

For example, did you select based on price, coverage, data speed or something else?

Feedback Score
    You've probably seen it, but there is a lot of discussion along this line at https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...SIM-Card-Slots.

I was VERY close to ordering a Umidigi F2, but I eventually decided on the Pixel 3a XL due to the much better camera, better expected quality, better support if needed, and 3 years of updates. In the end I ended up getting the Pixel 3a XL for very cheap, due to a little luck, which is also mentioned in the above thread.

I have been very happy with my Pixel 3a XL. One of the most impressive things to me is that I can go 3 days on a charge with my typical usage and still have > 20% remaining at the end of the 3rd day.

Since the Pixel 4a is expected to be released soon, there have been some deals on the 3a / 3a XL. Earlier today, the 3a XL was $293.69 at https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...martphone.html! But since then, it's gone back up to the recent $319 price, which is still a good deal.

The 3a / 3a XL are currently priced at $279 / $319. www.amzn.com/B07R7DY911
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._unlocked.html

Anyway, to answer your question, I'm not using the Pixel 3a dual SIM capabilities at this time.

Right now, because I use data ONLY on all my mobile devices, and I like to play around with multiple devices, I'm using my annual prepaid FP AT&T LTE SIM in a hotspot, which I connect to my Pixel 3a and other phones/tablets when necessary, and I have a T-Mobile data only physical SIM in my 3a XL.

But having dual SIM capability is important to me, even if I'm not using it at the moment. If I ever decide to do it, I could change my T-Mobile data only plan to eSIM and put the FP AT&T LTE SIM in the physical SIM card slot. Or, I could use an Airalo eSIM plan, which I first mentioned at https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...r-eSIM-Devices combined with any physical SIM card I want to use.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    You've probably seen it, but there is a lot of discussion along this line at https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...SIM-Card-Slots...But having dual SIM capability is important to me, even if I'm not using it at the moment. If I ever decide to do it, I could change my T-Mobile data only plan...
    I have not seen that before. Thank you very much for sharing that.

I need to look into a T-Mobile data only plan, too. Hopefully, I can find it on their website.

I have been eyeing up a Samsung Galaxy XCover Pro. It is available now and will take two physical SIM cards, but my understanding is until their is a software update, only one SIM card will be recognized.

I also like that it has physical Push-To-Talk switches and a replaceable battery.

I will likely wait a while longer for more review before I buy it.

Feedback Score
    The Samsung Galaxy XCover Pro definitely looks interesting. https://www.samsung.com/us/business/...xy-xcover-pro/ doesn't seem to tell what LTE bands are supported. Do you have any LTE band info?

The Umidigi F2 supports a number of LTE bands.
    1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 12 / 13 / 17 / 18 / 19 / 20 / 26 / 28A / 28B / 66 / 71

The Pixel 3a / 3a XL also supports a good number of LTE bands.
    1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 7 / 8 / 12 / 13 / 14 / 17 / 20 / 25 / 26 / 28 / 29 / 30 / 38 / 40 / 41 / 66 / 71

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    https://www.frequencycheck.com/model...15#frequencies

Since it's a global phone, Seems to be missing alot of US bands.

Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yes, I have a physical TracFone SIM (AT&T) and a T-Mobile eSIM. T-Mobile is my truly unlimited LTE + unlimited talk/text line (primary/personal) and the TracFone SIM is for if T-Mobile doesn't have good service.. but also for giving out a secondary number. I had a work # with my last job to separate my calls and texts but I put it on a separate phone because I didn't respond to anything while off the clock.

It works seamlessly on the iPhone and is very convenient!
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone SE 2nd gen eSIM
    Secondary: TracFones: iPhone SE 2nd gen dual-SIM [AT&T] & iPhone XS [Verizon]
    Mobile Broadband: ZTE Z917 LTE hotspot (5GB for $10)

Feedback Score

The Samsung Galaxy XCover Pro definitely looks interesting. https://www.samsung.com/us/business/...xy-xcover-pro/ doesn't seem to tell what LTE bands are supported. Do you have any LTE band info?

The Umidigi F2 supports a number of LTE bands.
    1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 12 / 13 / 17 / 18 / 19 / 20 / 26 / 28A / 28B / 66 / 71

The Pixel 3a / 3a XL also supports a good number of LTE bands.
    1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 7 / 8 / 12 / 13 / 14 / 17 / 20 / 25 / 26 / 28 / 29 / 30 / 38 / 40 / 41 / 66 / 71
    The Galaxy XCover Pro has the following LTE bands:
    1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12, 13, 14, 20, 28, 29, 38, 40, 41, 48, 66
    (missing AT&T band 30, T-Mobile band 71 and Sprint bands 25 & 26); so will work on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile.

https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/ph...uzkdxaa/#specs

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by user1name View Post
    (missing AT&T band 30, T-Mobile band 71 and Sprint bands 25 & 26); so will work on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile.

User1name,

Thank you for posting that information. It is very good to know. Personally, I could care less about Sprint. Since they are going to be merging with T-Mobile, we should start to see that brand name less often.

I am not sure how big of a deal the missing AT&T band 30 is. It is too bad it isn't included, though. I was looking at the Verizon version specs and it does list Band 30. (Unless I am misinterpreting this.) https://image-us.samsung.com/Samsung...HT-MAY20DG.pdf

T-Mobile's Band 71 probably is a huge deal, though, for T-Mobile users.

Jim1348

Device(s)
    LG G8 Thinq, Nokia 6.1 Dual SIM
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Recently, I purchased a used dual sim Nokia 6.1 (2018) as a secondary device for under $100. I use Freeup Mobile Free 250 min plan for SIM 1 and Freedom Pop Free 250 mb for SIM 2. I don't use a lot of minutes, even on my main phone, so this is a good setup for this secondary phone. I bought this to replace my old phone that I used to run a companion app to my radar detector as well as run Waze for the rare road trip I take. Eventually, I'll get one of those Freedompop 1 gb/month data plan on sale, as eventually, I'll be traveling more.
    Mobile:

LG G8 Thinq ATT-Red Pocket 500/500/500
    Nokia 6.1 Dual SIM
    G V20 LS997 Unlocked-Freedompop ATT
    iPhone SE 32GB Simple Mobile
    Samsung Gear S3 Frontier non-LTE
    Samsung Chromebook +
    ______
    Prior Phones:

Huawei Ascend XT2,LG Xpression +,LG Tribute HD,LG G4,Nokia Lumia 820,LG Volt,LG Tribute 2,LG Optimus Exceed 2,LG Realm,Moto X 2014,Moto X 2013,Nexus 5,Nokia Lumia 520,Nokia Lumia 1020,Samsung Galaxy S3,iphone 3G

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by user1name View Post

Thanks. What the HECK was Samsung thinking when they left out band 71!?

Feedback Score
    I have a Unihertz Atom with a FreeUp Mobile SIM in one slot for 250 free minutes, and a FreedomPop SIM in the other slot for cheap data.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    User1name,

Thank you for posting that information. It is very good to know. Personally, I could care less about Sprint. Since they are going to be merging with T-Mobile, we should start to see that brand name less often.

I am not sure how big of a deal the missing AT&T band 30 is. It is too bad it isn't included, though. I was looking at the Verizon version specs and it does list Band 30. (Unless I am misinterpreting this.) https://image-us.samsung.com/Samsung...HT-MAY20DG.pdf

T-Mobile's Band 71 probably is a huge deal, though, for T-Mobile users.

Jim1348
    I think Samsung may have made an error in the specs list on their consumer website (the link posted by me). I think the business specs sheet you cited is correct in including Band 30. In this case, the unlocked Galaxy XCover Pro and the Verizon version should have the same LTE bands. As I've said before, Samsung's websites have had several errors with regards to LTE specs.

Band 30 is not terribly important since it's only a supplemental band for download and is not as widely available as other AT&T bands.

Device(s)
    Pixel4XL, s10+, Axon 10P, Titan, Atom, MoFi, etc
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, Google Fi, Xfinity Mobile, TMO, RP/vzw/att/tmo, Tello, Tru, eKit
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    User1name,

I am not sure how big of a deal the missing AT&T band 30 is. It is too bad it isn't included, though. I was looking at the Verizon version specs and it does list Band 30.

Jim1348
    I am on B30 quite often (AT&T) for downloads so it's useful but not absolutely essential. It's only used by AT&T. Usually it's B29 that is left out.
    --
    CellGuru

Feedback Score
    Thanks. What the HECK was Samsung thinking when they left out band 71!?
    My guess would be that it's a combination of cost cutting (this is only a mid-range device) and the niche status of this device (aimed at select business customers who most likely used the top two wireless carriers, namely Verizon and AT&T). Hence, Samsung don't want to use the costlier modem that support all the bands on all 4 carriers.

Device(s)
    Pixel4XL, s10+, Axon 10P, Titan, Atom, MoFi, etc
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, Google Fi, Xfinity Mobile, TMO, RP/vzw/att/tmo, Tello, Tru, eKit
    Feedback Score
    I have several dual SIM devices.

Pixel 4 XL. Google Fi & Red Pocket AT&T. AT&T has the best speeds by far here so good for data.

Axon 10 Pro. Red Pocket Verizon & Red Pocket AT&T. Various testing, especially waiting for AT&T to allow unlocked devices to have VoLTE and WiFi calling. It worked for a few weeks before having both taken away (same for the two devices below).

Unihertz Titan. Combination of services depending on what I am testing

Unihertz Atom. FreeUp and Google Fi Data SIM. Local walks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast