Thread: Phone insurance

Device(s)
    Samsung Note 8
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Phone insurance

phone insurance is no longer worth it anymore. I have 2 lines with incurance, we used to pay $10 per line, now its going to $18 next month per line. If i break for loose my phone, i will just get a mid range phone for $200 and call it a day. This is crazy!!!

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    True as many never read the fine print & don't realize there is a per event deductible that can exceed 100 dollars. And most likely assume they will get a "new" phone when that rarely happens. I doubt many phone salespeople ever disclose those hidden details.

OTOH, I have seen some Square Trade plans that are reasonable. I bought a plan for a one time $20.00 payment for 2 years of Square Trade coverage on a new "Open Box" phone. (E-Bay)

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    My theory is to never buy a phone that I can't afford to replace out of petty cash.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Most phones are commodity items now, with very little to be gained (IMHO) for having a top end vs. an 'average' phone.
    Sales people worth their salt know this. Those that really don't use the phones outside of a utility from time to time will pick a more basic, and save a lot of cash
    Average person will get the 'average' phone and get a lot of use (lower end iPhone / Samsung) - and they aren't always all that cheap.
    Those that want/need the 'top end' have a purpose.. or money to burn.
    Devices time pipeline 'appears' short, but really isn't... its just features, adn security/app/patches.
    Pushing for 5G right now does little for most, and wait another year or 2. With +200Mbps on a typical phone - why pay extra for something that is just in its infancy.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    I got to think the most difference form running day to day apps is the amount of RAM more so than anything else.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.38 otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 07.08.20

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have used the Google Fi network since 2016. Fi is not the rock bottom deal for me, but it has little luxuries. Suppose I go to another room and don't bring the phone, a call can be answered on a computer or a second phone. Sometimes I've needed the roaming on Sprint, but that will fade away as Sprint is absorbed into T-Mo. I'll still have roaming on USCC

Since Fi is my big luxury, I got it with the protection plan. The initial device was a Nexus 5X, which was prone to trouble. My 5X indeed failed and it was replaced under the Protection Plan. I paid the deductible; since they were out of refurbished 5Xs, I received a new Moto X4, with the lesser amounts of RAM and ROM. At the time the service was quick and convenient, and they took the old device. The Moto X4 was an upgrade, fun to use with good cameras.

One feature of the Fi Protection Plan is that it doesn't expire. Though the device is 2 years old, the plan continues for 5 bucks a month. During the virus calamity, if the Moto X4 suffers an electronic calamity, I can pay a deductible and swap the device from home, perhaps with one outing to send the dud device on its way. When the X4 starts looking obsolete, I can drop the plan. Details are spelled out at: https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6309809?hl=en

Device(s)
    AT&T Tilt
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Some credit cards will give you limited phone protection for free, if you pay your phone bill with the card. There's a limit to how much they will pay, and it doesn't work for lost phones, but it's better than nothing.

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I get why people get insurance, but I think it's smarter to get a decent case and a temperd glass screen protector. That will cover you for most drops, but you still have to smart with how you handle your phone. Ex. Even though your phone is water proof it's still not smart to jump in the pool with it and go swimming.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    IMHO: What it comes down to is if you buy a new phone that is $1000 retail price (leased per month by your provider), the insurance is not such a bad thing if you can't afford to easily replace it. If you have a phone that cost only $100 then insurance is a waste of money.

If I could afford or wanted to lease a Samsung Fold 2 or the new Moto Razr phone, it is very possible that I would insure it. If I lost or broke the phone, the lease is still required to be paid in full.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    .....If I could afford or wanted to lease a Samsung Fold 2 or the new Moto Razr phone, it is very possible that I would insure it. .....
    When the Fold was first introduced, I recall people who insisted that T-Mobile should sell them one on JUMP. I tried to explain that maybe T-Mobile didn't have faith that the technology was mature enough that they were willing to support it or insure it. I suggested that they could buy the phone directly from Samsung. This did not seem like an acceptable option to them. It's amazing how some people believe that T-Mobile must offer whatever phones their favorite manufacturer makes, on convenient monthly terms, and insure it to-boot. I personally wouldn't buy a Fold unless the screen came with, at least, a two-year warranty.

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselguy26 View Post
    phone insurance is no longer worth it anymore. I have 2 lines with incurance, we used to pay $10 per line, now its going to $18 next month per line. If i break for loose my phone, i will just get a mid range phone for $200 and call it a day. This is crazy!!!
    It would depend on how much your phone is worth and remaining EIP balance to decide if it is worth keeping the mobile phone insurance thru your cellular carrier.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    As mentioned by someone above you shouldn't buy a phone you can't afford. IF you buy a car or home, if there is a lender, it requires you to carry insurance to protect the lender. Never heard of insurance for a $200-$1000 item until cell came along.
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    8 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text, data. TM One plan. Get $10/mo. rebate on 7 lines for low data use. Net cost about $185-190/mo. We haven't had a landline in more than 17 years.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, Verizon, AT$T
    Feedback Score
    I do have AppleCare+ on the iPhone.. but this poor 11 ProMax i've more than used it's worth (one time shutting it in an airplane door, the other some freak accident where i knocked it off a table and a small bolt hitting between the screen protector/case)

I do have the cash to replace it, but this time opted for AppleCare and boy i'm glad I did.
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"
    Sprint: Premium Unlimited (for 100GB hotspot!)