Thread: Tracfone Security Code Texts

Feedback Score

Tracfone Security Code Texts

Over the weekend I was trying to set up a Capital One savings account. I had a major problem because they said they could not use my Tracfone cell phone number to send security codes. They said they could not verify that I was the owner of the cell number. My name is on the account but they said they could not verify my ownership. Has anyone else seen this? If so, did you find a solution?

Feedback Score
    Yes, Capital One being a pain. Capital One uses third parties for some things, and that's the problem, the third parties do their own separate vetting.

I have their credit card. But when I went to set up the virtual/disposable credit card numbers feature, no can do. They will accept only a phone number associated with a postpaid plan, apparently. Something where the carrier has vetted you and definitely knows you. I don't think prepaid will work, since that has a reputation for burner accounts.

I had to give up on the optional feature. Never tried getting the bank account.

Feedback Score
    If this is happening now, it's new. My sons had TW, owned by TF, from the end of 2016 until March, 2020. In that time, both of them opened and registered for a Capital One online account.

As an aside, they were also both able to register for online Social Security and IRS accounts with their TW phone #s.

I have one bank account that wouldn't accept my GV # for verification for many years, then suddenly it started working, and then after that, it suddenly stopped working again. Fortunately, that bank also allows receiving the verification via email, so it hasn't affected me much.

Anyway, I wish you the best in getting this resolved!

Feedback Score
    This is the first time I have run into this issue. It is a good thing that Capital One is not the only game in town. My confidence in them is disintegrating. I have a Checking Account and Credit Card with them and it looks like they have the same web developers that TF uses. When they imported the data from my existing account, there was a problem with field mapping and it screwed up the name leaving out middle initial. I have been on the phone with them for hours and now they want me to send in a W9 name change form. I am about to blow them off.

Feedback Score
    Yeah. That's a slightly different matter, but one I understand!

My wife applied for a CC from them a couple of months ago, which was instantly approved, and received within 10 days, but it took over a month for them to allow it to be activated, and it required her sending in multiple documents due to "identity concerns"! She was ready to give up and cut up the card, but since the CC approval required a hard credit pull, she stuck it out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cv91913 View Post
    Over the weekend I was trying to set up a Capital One savings account. I had a major problem because they said they could not use my Tracfone cell phone number to send security codes. They said they could not verify that I was the owner of the cell number. My name is on the account but they said they could not verify my ownership. Has anyone else seen this? If so, did you find a solution?
    Mine works fine. TF Verizon on iPhone 6s. I remember back in the day short codes did not work out too well on the old bucket system.