Thread: Why are phone plans cheaper than hotspot plans?

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score

Why are phone plans cheaper than hotspot plans?

Just something I've noticed with Prepaid plans. I wanted a verizon hotspot plan for a trip, but after a month, their phone prepaid is significantly cheaper (16GB plan) so I went with that.

I mean, I can do tethering with my phone so I don't understand.
    Also their $60 hotspot plan offers 30GB, while their $60 phone plan is unlimited data.

Is it just that people on hotspots tend to suck down a lot more data?

Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLWAT View Post
    Just something I've noticed with Prepaid plans. I wanted a verizon hotspot plan for a trip, but after a month, their phone prepaid is significantly cheaper (16GB plan) so I went with that.

I mean, I can do tethering with my phone so I don't understand.
    Also their $60 hotspot plan offers 30GB, while their $60 phone plan is unlimited data.

Is it just that people on hotspots tend to suck down a lot more data?
    The unlimited phone plan doesn’t include hotspot.

Well yes. It’s very easy to eat data with a computer compared to a phone.

I generally use around 2TB of data a month on my home connection as an example

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    The unlimited phone plan doesn’t include hotspot.
    Right, I was just thinking if they could offer unlimited phone data at that price, why not unlimited tablet/hotspot data.
    I have a $15 sprint unlimited tablet plan good stuff.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLWAT View Post
    Right, I was just thinking if they could offer unlimited phone data at that price, why not unlimited tablet/hotspot data.
    I have a $15 sprint unlimited tablet plan good stuff.
    Why not? Because they know the propensity of people to use data on a phone vs an unlimited hotspot. Some people will start using an unlimited hotspot for home Internet.

Phone use, on the phone, is self limiting by what people are interested in doing on a phone. Sure, some people will stream video on a phone, but that is not what most people want at home. We want it on our big TV.

Average phone mobile data use is 2-5 GB a month. Average home Internet use is about 200 GB. It would not be good business for the carriers to sell 200 GB for the price of 2-5. Karma tried it several years ago and quickly found out that people cut the cord and were using terabytes a month streaming video. They had to cancel the plan.

The wireless networks don't have the capacity yet for widespread terabytes a month. It's coming. T-Mobile plans to start offering some wireless ISP Internet next year, but they have to do some network building first. Price and cap unknown.

I have a $20 unlimited hotspot plan which is no longer available. It's speed and quality is not good enough to run my house. That has more to do with where I live in a mediocre signal area. SpaceX-StarLink is coming too.

Feedback Score
    I've seen numerous resellers sell unlimited hotspot plans and even advertise them as home Internet replacements. These smaller resellers don't advertise much and are likely not big enough to make a difference, but they're out there if you know where to look. They're usually in the $75-100 a month range.

Device(s)
    Moto W315
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Why not? Because they know the propensity of people to use data on a phone vs an unlimited hotspot. Some people will start using an unlimited hotspot for home Internet.

Phone use, on the phone, is self limiting by what people are interested in doing on a phone. Sure, some people will stream video on a phone, but that is not what most people want at home. We want it on our big TV.

Average phone mobile data use is 2-5 GB a month. Average home Internet use is about 200 GB. It would not be good business for the carriers to sell 200 GB for the price of 2-5. Karma tried it several years ago and quickly found out that people cut the cord and were using terabytes a month streaming video. They had to cancel the plan.

The wireless networks don't have the capacity yet for widespread terabytes a month. It's coming. T-Mobile plans to start offering some wireless ISP Internet next year, but they have to do some network building first. Price and cap unknown.

I have a $20 unlimited hotspot plan which is no longer available. It's speed and quality is not good enough to run my house. That has more to do with where I live in a mediocre signal area. SpaceX-StarLink is coming too.
    T-Mobile has offered home internet in my neighborhood for the past several months.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    I've seen numerous resellers sell unlimited hotspot plans and even advertise them as home Internet replacements. These smaller resellers don't advertise much and are likely not big enough to make a difference, but they're out there if you know where to look. They're usually in the $75-100 a month range.
    Most of the ones I have seen appear to be operating in the grey market selling business accounts with a nod and a wink to individuals or other shady practices.

If anyone finds a good one, go for it. I'm not the Internet police.

My unlimited hotspot plan is completely legit direct from AT&T.

Feedback Score
    Not only are hotspot plans more expensive, but they are also deprioritized more than phone data. I think they do this to make it as difficult as possible to use the cellular network for home internet.

I run my whole house on an unlimited hotspot but it is heavily deprioritized and I get download speeds of less than one Mbps in the afternoon and evening. With speeds this slow, this is not a home internet replacement unless the wired access is even worse. Sadly, this is my reality.

I hotspot off my phone when I want to watch Netflix or Youtube in 4K.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Lol I can smell the unlimited car connect plans on here

I waited until they no longer offered the plan to put it on a nighthawk hotspot.

I notice the deprioritization on my postpaid tmobile phone with hotspot or my work verizon phone. Never noticed it with the nighthawk though.