Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: iPhone no longer notifying voicemails - no indication that there is one at all - (Total Wireless)

Feedback Score
    So the fix lasted exactly 8 days. What the hell? VVM disappeared again, this morning.

Why would this keep happening???? Anyone have any insight? Should I just give up on Total Wireless?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessie* View Post
    So the fix lasted exactly 8 days. What the hell? VVM disappeared again, this morning.

Why would this keep happening???? Anyone have any insight? Should I just give up on Total Wireless?
    Did it happen by chance after you did a plan refill/renew ? Read somewhere in HOFO that that was occurring on some phones with this issue.
    Also it seems throughout the forums IPhones don't play well with MVNOs.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S, Moto e, Lumia 635, Moto G 2nd
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone x3, PPCx2, TMo2Go, TracfoneX3, H20, Tello
    Feedback Score

Did you by any chance tried to get the APN updated? The automated TF APN update system ("APN" text to 611611) can mess up the VVM settings. That happened to me. For some reason my device is not properly provisioned in their system and that resets the VVM to their "default" as well, which can be bad. I had to call again and ask them to reset VVM manually and they fixed it.

There is no problem if you use another method to update APN (manually, unlockit or any of the direct links to download APNs from TF). Just don't use the "APN" to 611611.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jairzinho View Post
    Did you by any chance tried to get the APN updated? The automated TF APN update system ("APN" text to 611611) can mess up the VVM settings. That happened to me. For some reason my device is not properly provisioned in their system and that resets the VVM to their "default" as well, which can be bad. I had to call again and ask them to reset VVM manually and they fixed it.

There is no problem if you use another method to update APN (manually, unlockit or any of the direct links to download APNs from TF). Just don't use the "APN" to 611611.
    Nope, have not done any updates at all like that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Did it happen by chance after you did a plan refill/renew ? Read somewhere in HOFO that that was occurring on some phones with this issue.
    I’ve had iPhoneS for several years, always on An MVNO with no issues until this.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    I just checked and my auto-renew was on the 18th so yup that is exactly what happened. This is just crazy. I’ve had them for YEARS and this has never happened in the past.

Feedback Score
    Just wanted to update this thread (for my own reference as well as others). I had not called them back to have this fixed, again. I was going to switch to VZ prepaid - they had a pretty good special on last month. But I had too much going on at home and missed the special darn it. So I just called the number again (800-626-4883), immediately got a person that knew what to do, and he fixed it. Really quickly this time, too.

He also checked and found that I was right - the VVM feature is DISABLED with each auto-pay renewal. He was going to put in a note to try and get this fixed. He sounded as if he had not heard of this before, which is weird, because clearly this has been happening to others as well.

Anyway, VVM is back, at least for this month.

Feedback Score
    Just wanted to update this thread (for my own reference as well as others). I had not called them back to have this fixed, again. I was going to switch to VZ prepaid - they had a pretty good special on last month. But I had too much going on at home and missed the special darn it. So I just called the number again (800-626-4883), immediately got a person that knew what to do, and he fixed it. Really quickly this time, too.

He also checked and found that I was right - the VVM feature is DISABLED with each auto-pay renewal. He was going to put in a note to try and get this fixed. He sounded as if he had not heard of this before, which is weird, because clearly this has been happening to others as well.

Anyway, VVM is back, at least for this month.
    Updating this thread...

So this month, they can't seem to fix it. They are escalating the issue and hope to have it corrected in 24-48 hours. This is crazy. I guess I need to switch carriers.

Feedback Score
    Still no answers from TW. This is absurd. I have been on the phone with the corporate office for over an hour and she still has NO CLUE.

I really hate switching carriers but this is no longer tenable.

Feedback Score
    Still no answers from TW. This is absurd. I have been on the phone with the corporate office for over an hour and she still has NO CLUE.

I really hate switching carriers but this is no longer tenable.
    try this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv8KrK4t8u8

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    LOL. I wish it were that simple.

This is a TOTAL WIRELESS issue.

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work phone / T-Mobile (iPad) / Sprint (personal phone) / AT&T MVNO (for fun)!
    Feedback Score
    I am 95% confident you are right, and this is an MVNO back-end issue that can't be fixed by you. So here's one potential theory with the <5% probability of helping:

Can you call in (Press/hold 1 key), does it tell you the same number of "saved messages" as you have showing as previously read on VVM?
    FWIW, you shoulddelete all of the messages that you absolutely don't need (if you need to keep a couple/few messages, then delete everything else). AFor example, when I dial in, I am told you have 8 saved messages (and that syncs with what VVM is showing on my phone).

Here's why: I am on Verizon postpaid for my work phone, and someone told me that my voicemail was full a few weeks ago. When I called it, I found a bunch of old messages in there that were no longer showing on my VVM. I thought I deleted them weeks/months ago but can't be 100% sure of that. So, I just deleted them in the voicemail system itself, and kept only what I needed...

I attributed it to some glitch / upgrade of the VM system (or iOS) -- could have also been caused by restoring a phone in iTunes. At that time, MY VVM showed under 10 messages (most under 30 seconds), but the actual voicemail system had quite a few more that I manually deleted. I don't know if this could be connected to your issue, but it would be best to see if the message count is in sync, and FWIW delete everything you could from the system, and then simply try to replicate the issue by calling your cell from another phone.

It's a long shot, but worth the few minutes it might take. If everything is in sync, and you have only a few saved messages that align with what is showing on your phone, then at least we checked this box off the potential issues...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    I am 95% confident you are right, and this is an MVNO back-end issue that can't be fixed by you. So here's one potential theory with the <5% probability of helping:

Can you call in (Press/hold 1 key), does it tell you the same number of "saved messages" as you have showing as previously read on VVM?
    FWIW, you shoulddelete all of the messages that you absolutely don't need (if you need to keep a couple/few messages, then delete everything else). AFor example, when I dial in, I am told you have 8 saved messages (and that syncs with what VVM is showing on my phone).

Here's why: I am on Verizon postpaid for my work phone, and someone told me that my voicemail was full a few weeks ago. When I called it, I found a bunch of old messages in there that were no longer showing on my VVM. I thought I deleted them weeks/months ago but can't be 100% sure of that. So, I just deleted them in the voicemail system itself, and kept only what I needed...

I attributed it to some glitch / upgrade of the VM system (or iOS) -- could have also been caused by restoring a phone in iTunes. At that time, MY VVM showed under 10 messages (most under 30 seconds), but the actual voicemail system had quite a few more that I manually deleted. I don't know if this could be connected to your issue, but it would be best to see if the message count is in sync, and FWIW delete everything you could from the system, and then simply try to replicate the issue by calling your cell from another phone.

It's a long shot, but worth the few minutes it might take. If everything is in sync, and you have only a few saved messages that align with what is showing on your phone, then at least we checked this box off the potential issues...
    There are only two messages on there. Nothing shows up on VVM as there IS no VVM to access. I can delete them all, and I have. So no messages now. But nothing changes. All I have is a "Call Voicemail" button in the middle of the screen.

"that align with what is showing on your phone". No - there is NOTHING showing for messages.

In the past, when this has been fixed, the VVM instantly displayed all the existing messages. Like snapping a finger - they were displayed in the VVM screen.

Does not sound like the issue you have had, but thanks for trying.

Device(s)
    Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score
    I realize this is Total Wireless we are talking about, so it's Verizon and thus what I'm about to say might not apply, but my experience with Tracfone-based subbrands on the AT&T side is that when a certain back-end feature (like VVM, Wi-Fi Calling, etc.) isn't working and the rep can't fix it or doesn't know how, *sometimes* simply getting a new SIM from the same provider and transferring your service to the new SIM triggers a re-provisioning that ends up fixing whatever the problem is.

For AT&T or T-Mobile based accounts, this is a fairly straightforward process, since all that the MVNO cares about is the SIM #. But for Verizon ones, this probably is trickier since activation is done at least in part via phone MEID. If you buy a new TW SIM, and then try to transfer service to it, I don't know for sure but my *guess* is that it will ask you for MEID up front, you'll enter your current phone's MEID in there, and it will tell you something like "sorry nope, your service is already on that phone and there's nothing for me to do!"

What you *might* try is to see if you can use a spare phone (do you have an older iPhone still sitting around somewhere?), or borrow somebody else's phone, and (along with a new SIM, for good measure) temporarily transfer service to that phone, then transfer it back (also while retaining the new SIM).

Seems like it's worth a shot....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanA View Post
    I realize this is Total Wireless we are talking about, so it's Verizon and thus what I'm about to say might not apply, but my experience with Tracfone-based subbrands on the AT&T side is that when a certain back-end feature (like VVM, Wi-Fi Calling, etc.) isn't working and the rep can't fix it or doesn't know how, *sometimes* simply getting a new SIM from the same provider and transferring your service to the new SIM triggers a re-provisioning that ends up fixing whatever the problem is.

For AT&T or T-Mobile based accounts, this is a fairly straightforward process, since all that the MVNO cares about is the SIM #. But for Verizon ones, this probably is trickier since activation is done at least in part via phone MEID. If you buy a new TW SIM, and then try to transfer service to it, I don't know for sure but my *guess* is that it will ask you for MEID up front, you'll enter your current phone's MEID in there, and it will tell you something like "sorry nope, your service is already on that phone and there's nothing for me to do!"

What you *might* try is to see if you can use a spare phone (do you have an older iPhone still sitting around somewhere?), or borrow somebody else's phone, and (along with a new SIM, for good measure) temporarily transfer service to that phone, then transfer it back (also while retaining the new SIM).

Seems like it's worth a shot....
    I failed to mention above that TW IS sending a new SIM card. It actually arrived today. But before I even got it, my VVM is all of a sudden, WORKING. I suspect that the one person at TW that knows how to fix this problem, was made aware of it. That's my guess, anyway. What is beyond annoying is that they never documented that process, in my account. The lady I spoke to yesterday was really frustrated that there was no "this is what we did to fix this" type of information.

Anyway...it's working, for now. And there were a TON of messages that showed up. None of these were there in the regular voice mail where I had to call in to get them. But the most WONDERFUL thing is, that I have about 10 voicemails from my mom that were still there. I listened to every one. She passed away in August so this was just really wonderful to discover. I sent them all to my email and saved them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3