Thread: Hot Spot

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint-Metro PCS-Sprint
    Feedback Score

Hot Spot

I have a unlocked G5 Plus with Sprint. My plan does not include Hot Spot. Is there a app or how can get Hot Spot capabilites without having to Root the phone Thanks.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, Verizon, AT$T
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, get a plan that has hotspot.
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"
    Sprint: Premium Unlimited (for 100GB hotspot!)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by texx11 View Post
    I have a unlocked G5 Plus with Sprint. My plan does not include Hot Spot. Is there a app or how can get Hot Spot capabilites without having to Root the phone Thanks.
    What is a G5 Plus? I'm Guessing Moto G5 Plus. Is it a Sprint or other carrier branded phone or the generic Moto model?

If it is a Sprint or other carrier branded model the hotspot app will check with the carrier to see if your plan is entitled to hotspot and not work.

If you have the generic model, have you tried the hotspot? It might work. Mine does on a generic Moto G6 and a Tracfone branded E5 - both using Verizon. Tracfone does not allow hotspotting by policy. I have only tried mine for brief tests. Others have reported using more.

There are basically no hotspot apps that work on unrooted phone and only a few that work on rooted phones. Those that work don't work on all phones. You could try PDANet/FoxFi.

If it does work, Sprint may or may not notice and warn you or suspend your service.

Similar to what Brad said, if you want phone hotspotting for a significant amount of data, get a service provider and plan that allows it.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, Verizon, AT$T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    What is a G5 Plus? I'm Guessing Moto G5 Plus. Is it a Sprint or other carrier branded phone or the generic Moto model?

If it is a Sprint or other carrier branded model the hotspot app will check with the carrier to see if your plan is entitled to hotspot and not work.

If you have the generic model, have you tried the hotspot? It might work. Mine does on a generic Moto G6 and a Tracfone branded E5 - both using Verizon. Tracfone does not allow hotspotting by policy. I have only tried mine for brief tests. Others have reported using more.

There are basically no hotspot apps that work on unrooted phone and only a few that work on rooted phones. Those that work don't work on all phones. You could try PDANet/FoxFi.

If it does work, Sprint may or may not notice and warn you or suspend your service.

Similar to what Brad said, if you want phone hotspotting for a significant amount of data, get a service provider and plan that allows it.
    My thing is, with Sprint... large amounts of hotspot is actually pretty cheap. Just pay for the proper plan (and use your employer discount if you have it) and you can be quite set with 100GB of hotspot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by texx11 View Post
    What happens when you toggle on hotspot? The Moto G5 Plus is fully capable if the network allows it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    My thing is, with Sprint... large amounts of hotspot is actually pretty cheap. Just pay for the proper plan (and use your employer discount if you have it) and you can be quite set with 100GB of hotspot.
    100GB of hotspot on Sprint is the Unlimited Premium plan for $80 a month. That may be a good value in comparison, but not exactly cheap in my view. They may not allow plan changes on Sprint now after the merger.