Thread: Tello Hotspot?

Feedback Score

Tello Hotspot?

Have the Tello 2gb plan and using it to run a Wyze cam at the cabin with Hotspot. After I ran out of high speed LTE everything was still working just fine. This morning I decided to reset everything from scratch just to make sure it would continue working if I ever had a problem. Now I'm not able to get the Hotspot working. My Chromebook and other phones will conect to the hotspot but they all say there is no internet connection. Data is still working on the phone itself but it seems to me that Tello is cutting off the ability to use Hotspot after the 2gb of data is depleted. Anyone else try this or have any insight?????

Feedback Score
    Yes, the infinite fallback 2G data is not available for hotspot use.
    You may slip through this if a single data session extends beyond the cutoff point.

If a single data session crosses the data threshold, you may also continue on LTE instead of throttled 2G, since the system cannot shift midstream. When Tello explained this some time back, they also said that temporary full-speed data 'perk' would be recouped from your balance at the next renewal. (Example, if you used 2300 mb of full-speed data , with a 2GB plan, at the next renewal your data bucket would only refill to 1700 mb.) I have no personal experience with this.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post
    Yes, the infinite fallback 2G data is not available for hotspot use.
    You may slip through this if a single data session extends beyond the cutoff point.

If a single data session crosses the data threshold, you may also continue on LTE instead of throttled 2G, since the system cannot shift midstream. When Tello explained this some time back, they also said that temporary full-speed data 'perk' would be recouped from your balance at the next renewal. (Example, if you used 2300 mb of full-speed data , with a 2GB plan, at the next renewal your data bucket would only refill to 1700 mb.) I have no personal experience with this.
    Thanks Green!!! That explains why it was still working after the 2GB ran out. I thought, this is awesome, I can run a security cam at my cabin for $7.00 a month. Well, that didn't work out so well. Do you know of any cheap plans out there that will allow unlimited hotspot on 2G?? Verizon, Sprint and At&t work at the cabin. T-Mobile does not.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    Thanks Green!!! That explains why it was still working after the 2GB ran out. I thought, this is awesome, I can run a security cam at my cabin for $7.00 a month. Well, that didn't work out so well. Do you know of any cheap plans out there that will allow unlimited hotspot on 2G?? Verizon, Sprint and At&t work at the cabin. T-Mobile does not.
    Can you still USB tether to the phone even after the 2GB is used up? If so, you could use a small travel router that supports USB: https://www.amazon.com/GL-iNET-GL-MT.../dp/B073TSK26W

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by energyx View Post
    Can you still USB tether to the phone even after the 2GB is used up? If so, you could use a small travel router that supports USB: https://www.amazon.com/GL-iNET-GL-MT.../dp/B073TSK26W
    Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't even think about that. Maybe even PDAnet/Foxfi might work.

Feedback Score

I am surprised that you could even stream video at 2G speeds

Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't even think about that. Maybe even PDAnet/Foxfi might work.
    Can you see any video stream at 64 kbps?

Feedback Score
    Isn't $7 a month the promo rate? The regular rate afaik for the UTT2GB is $14.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.38 otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.01.20

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jw530 View Post
    Can you see any video stream at 64 kbps?
    I thought it was 128 but it wouldn't let me try. Apparently I was still streaming with LTE when I went over the 2gb.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Isn't $7 a month the promo rate? The regular rate afaik for the UTT2GB is $14.
    Yeah, I was gonna switch to the 500mb plan if I could hotspot on unlimited 2G. I was surprised how fast the cam burned through 2gb because I didn't even look at video very much. Only took about 10 days.

Feedback Score
    You could reduce the resolution to 480p and gaze at the cam for a few seconds every day. It shouldn't use that much data at all. It should easily be << 500mb per month. I have a similar setup with tello and it works great.

Feedback Score
    Do you know of any cheap plans out there that will allow unlimited hotspot on 2G?? Verizon, Sprint and At&t work at the cabin. T-Mobile does not.
    I have the same question actually. for the same reason since Venn Mobile bit the dust

Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Mint mobile can stream at 128kbps after LTE data is used. Lowest rate is $15 per month. Mint supposedly does not limit hotspot use.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jw530 View Post
    Mint mobile can stream at 128kbps after LTE data is used. Lowest rate is $15 per month. Mint supposedly does not limit hotspot use.
    T-Mobile and Verizon get zero reception at my cabin so my only choices are At&t and Sprint.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Mint Mobile, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    A little off-topic, but I don't want to start a whole new thread...

Does everyone like their Tello service? I'm thinking to switch because their plans are so cheap. My biggest questions:

- How is the WiFi calling?
    - Do calls/texts sometimes not come through?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ajholik View Post
    A little off-topic, but I don't want to start a whole new thread...

Does everyone like their Tello service? I'm thinking to switch because their plans are so cheap. My biggest questions:

- How is the WiFi calling?
    - Do calls/texts sometimes not come through?
    Tello has always worked fine for me. It works as well as Sprint does because that is what Tello uses - with no roaming.

There is Wifi calling in the Tello app, but it only for outgoing calls. I have never tried it. I would consider their WiFi calling pretty weak for being outgoing only and having to use the app for it.

Since it uses Sprint their future is unknown. In case you had not heard T-Mobile bought Sprint and is phasing them out. I would not spend much money on a phone that couldn't be used elsewhere.