Thread: Can you still put an already activated sim in a Non-VOLTE Device?

Feedback Score

Can you still put an already activated sim in a Non-VOLTE Device?

I know Verizon is shutting down their 3G Network at the end of the year and have read that they will no longer activate Non-VOLTE devices on new lines. I currently have an original grandfathered Unlimited Data plan that I have had for many years. Nowadays, I use it for data and hotspot.

I keep the sim in an old smartphone. Keeping a phone on constantly charging and utilizing the hotspot will hasten the degradation of the battery and cause it to wear out sooner. However, it's an older device and would no longer be practical to use as a day to day cell phone.

When the device wears out, would I still be able to put the sim in another older 4G device or would I have to put it in a device capable of VOLTE?

I like tech and have a couple phones that are still in great shape but non-VOLTE capable but still able to be used for data. Just hoping someone can answer this question.

Feedback Score
    Without putting too fine a point on it, the network can determine what IMEI you're using and safeguards exist to cut service to a non-VoLTE device. They may not actually be using them yet, but they do exist.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    How would you put a SIM in a device that doesn't have VOLTE with Verizon ?

Unless it is a older device that Verizon sold to allow international roaming using GSM, the phone won't have a SIM slot. Verizon CDMA phones used exclusively in the US don't utilize SIM cards. Verizon stopped activation of CDMA devices in the Summer of 2018.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post

Unless it is a older device that Verizon sold to allow international roaming using GSM, the phone won't have a SIM slot. Verizon CDMA phones used exclusively in the US don't utilize SIM cards. Verizon stopped activation of CDMA devices in the Summer of 2018.
    It is my understanding that Android devices have to be on 5.0 and beyond to support VOLTE. I am not a Verizon historian, but, personally, I got my first 4G LTE Device in 2012, almost a year after the first Verizon 4G LTE device, HTC Thunderbolt. There are many Verizon 4G LTE domestic devices that are not compatible with Verizon VOLTE

To the best of my understanding, modern Verizon smartphones were released as follows:

1. 3G only devices (Iphone 4 and the original Droid and Droid X)
    2. 3G/4G LTE devices, but not VOLTE capable (Iphone 5, Iphone 5s, Android devices released prior to 2014/2015)
    3. 3G/4G LTE/VOLTE ready devices (Iphone 6, most/all phones released after 2015.

So the devices I am concerned about are 6-7 years old. Still able to be used for data/4G on band 13.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post

The era of Verizon phones that had LTE, but not VoLTE use a SIM. My (retired) Galaxy S4 is one of them. I'm sure there are many other examples. They can't be activated with Verizon service anymore, but may work with a an active swapped SIM for LTE data after the CDMA shutdown. I don't know the answer to that. Someone can try it come January 2021.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon Prepaid, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    I swapped my prepaid SIM into a still living Verizon-sold iPhone 5 recently. It allowed for calls out using CDMA and had data (slow for it only having a couple Verizon-capable bands). Verizon's system also registered the device in my account while it was active, as I didn't change the IMEI myself.

(ADDENDUM: this doesn't mean things won't change come January.)

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I thought they stopped allowing CDMA phones on the network.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    I swapped my prepaid SIM into a still living Verizon-sold iPhone 5 recently. It allowed for calls out using CDMA and had data (slow for it only having a couple Verizon-capable bands). Verizon's system also registered the device in my account while it was active, as I didn't change the IMEI myself.

Sent from my Galaxy S10+ using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WiredGuy View Post
    I thought they stopped allowing CDMA phones on the network.
    Not exactly. There is more to it than that. Vz stopped allowing activation of new phones without VoLTE for voice over a year ago. Existing phones with only CDMA for voice continue to operate and 2G, 3G and LTE data continue to work. Verizon's latest schedule to turn off CDMA voice is at the end of 2020. It is not clear to me if 2G and 3G data will end then too. Of course LTE data will continue. That is the crux of the original question.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post

Thanks for sharing. I was using an LTE/VOLTE capable device 4-6 months ago when I noticed that the battery was beginning to swell and the phone's casing was beginning to separate. I removed the sim and put it in an older LTE but no VOLTE device, thinking nothing of it, since everything was working fine.

Yesterday, I was contemplating what device I would use to replace an aging 3G-only device on a Page Plus PayGo plan.

I checked a couple of my devices, confirmed the ESNs were clean, and entered them in Verizon's/Page Plus's system to see if they would potentially qualify for activation. They were denied. That made me think to check if it may be do to the fact that they are not compatible with VOLTE.

Utilizing an Iphone 5 or any Android from 2013/2014 is not going to have the same capabilities as a newer device, but they still have usefulness, depending on the situation.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LiterallyUnlim View Post
    Without putting too fine a point on it, the network can determine what IMEI you're using and safeguards exist to cut service to a non-VoLTE device. They may not actually be using them yet, but they do exist.
    Verizon has long been able to track the IMEI being used on their network, and make a system adjustment if there is a mismatch from a Sim swap. It differs for the MVNOs running on Verizon. Example: Page Plus makes an automatic adjustment, while Tracfone does not.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Verizon has long been able to track the IMEI being used on their network, and make a system adjustment if there is a mismatch from a Sim swap.
    At&t has been doing the same thing for many years.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LiterallyUnlim View Post
    You mean like IDA? https://howardforums.com/showthread....5#post17050175