Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Forced to Change Phones (VoLTE); Will Transfer be a Hassle and Q re: Triple Mins

Feedback Score

Forced to Change Phones (VoLTE); Will Transfer be a Hassle and Q re: Triple Mins

Hi guys.

I use Google voice on all my devices; I keep a Tracfone active so I have an actual number to associate with GV (one must have an active number to use GV), the actual phone stays turned off in my desk as I call/text on my pc(s).

I renew minutes (never use any) yearly so I can get the 365 days as an add on. This has worked great for me since I started doing it in 2017.

So I go into my Tracfone acct to do just that and see a message that the device (an LG Rebel LTE) I have been using will become obsolete and I must "upgrade" to a device that is VoLTE capable. Ugh.

I order from the Tracfone store (hasn't yet arrived) an Alcatel MyFlip -VoLTE capable it states-, as I never use a phone for internet (I have 5 pcs) and figured $19.99 is all I want to spend for it to sit in the desk drawer.

My qs that are giving me anxiety:

1. How much of a hassle will it be to transfer my 1800-ish minutes and 497 days of service from the Rebel LTE to the MyFlip? I'd like to do it online but fear it screwing up and me having to contact cust serv, the idea of which makes me want to just break the phone in half and toss it over my shoulder.

2. Will all the minutes transfer, as the Rebel LTE is a triple minutes phone and the MyFlip isn't? Will the MyFlip then BE a triple minute phone when I buy minutes henceforth? I looked around online for the answer to this and...some say "yes" and others, "no".

Thanks to any who bother to reply
    #anxietytriggered

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    1. I usually advise people to use chat and let the rep do the transfer. If something goes wrong, the rep owns the problem and has to fix it. With chat, you don't have to put up with the rep's accent or poor connection. Ask the rep before and after the transfer to confirm your balance.
    2. All the minutes and days will transfer. Technically, the Triple Minute is tied to the phone, not the phone number. Sometimes TF will carry the TMFL forward, sometimes they don't.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Since it sounds like you just heard about the VoLTE change, you will need to understand that Verizon is dropping their CDMA network at the start of 2021.

Feedback Score
    advcomp2019, This is why I got that message, yeah? And why I must switch phones? Or are you saying something more is afoot? The MyFlip came up when I clicked on their "upgrade" link so I inferred it'll be good for awhile?

hpham, lol so sometimes the triple minutes ability transfers and sometimes not...no one seems to know for sure, I wonder why it's not clear cut yes or no. I mean I never use the minutes so why do I care I guess...just the cheapskate in me enjoys getting extras.

Using custserv chat...you probably know...is sometimes awesome and sometimes headbashingly awful...but you think it may be more reliable to do the transfer versus doing it myself online? Have you experienced/heard of transferring oneself online screwing up? Dreading this.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VexedOldHag View Post
    Will the MyFlip then BE a triple minute phone when I buy minutes henceforth? I looked around online for the answer to this and...some say "yes" and others, "no".
    Earlier in it's history, the MyFlip came as a TMFL phone that listed basic airtime cards on the retail box. As hpham stated, they sometimes pass TMFL on in a transfer. TMFL is not so valuable anymore with all the other options.

Feedback Score
    I don't have any answers for you, OP -- but don't worry, you came to the best place there is for all things Tracfone -- I know from experience that folks here will solve all your TF problems. You won't have to be an #anxietytriggered "VexedOldHag" no more

Feedback Score
    LMFAOOO I figured this was the place phone obsessives gather, as it came up when I searched -mostly in vain- for answers to the OP. Made the account just to ask these qs...

loboheeler (you must be a dog lover going by that username; dogs rule) this "sometimes" is not making me happy; plus I think they should transfer the tripling capability when forcing one to upgrade, as switching phones was not really a choice.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    hpham, lol so sometimes the triple minutes ability transfers and sometimes not...no one seems to know for sure, I wonder why it's not clear cut yes or no. I mean I never use the minutes so why do I care I guess...just the cheapskate in me enjoys getting extras.

Using custserv chat...you probably know...is sometimes awesome and sometimes headbashingly awful...but you think it may be more reliable to do the transfer versus doing it myself online? Have you experienced/heard of transferring oneself online screwing up? Dreading this.
    For a while, TF carried forward the TMFL as a "courtesy". Nobody knows how long that courtesy lasts, so we can't give you a definite answer. Sorry.

When both the old phone and the new phone use the same carrier, it is USUALLY safe to do the transfer yourself. But if it goes wrong, the headache to get it straightened out is worse than just contacting chat in the first place. Yes, I've read about cases where the DIY transfers went wrong. So, do you want to take a gamble? Are you feeling lucky today?
    Last edited by hpham; 06-06-2020 at 06:57 PM.

Feedback Score
    Hellsno, I'm feeling like it's gonna be painstaking and painful, both.
    I've been chilling for almost 3 years, now this upheaval with the forced "upgrade".

Ordered the phone 06/03, still showing as "pending, shipping label created" but FedEx hasn't received it yet, so. When it comes I'll take your advice and use chat, it messing up and me then having to contact them to FIX it was exactly my fear.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Ordered the phone 06/03, still showing as "pending, shipping label created" but FedEx hasn't received it yet, so. When it comes I'll take your advice and use chat, it messing up and me then having to contact them to FIX it was exactly my fear.
    Below is the transcript when I used chat to do a transfer. Just follow the script and it's easy peasy.

======================

Kyle: Hi! How may I help you today?
    You: Could you give me the balance of my phone 785-xxx-xxxx ?
    Kyle: I will be more than happy to provide you the information.
    Kyle: Upon checking your account, it shows that you have xxxx minutes for voice/calling, xxxx text messages and x.x gigabytes of data remaining.
    You: what is the service end date for that phone?
    Kyle: Your Service End Date will be on xx/xx/202x
    Kyle: Is there anything else that I can assist you with?
    You: I'd like to activate a new phone with a transfer from my phone 785-xxx-xxxx.
    Kyle: I will be more than happy to assist you with that.
    Kyle: May I ask the serial number of the new phone?
    You: 354 062 xxx xxx xxx
    Kyle: Before we proceed with your request, I will ask a security question first for you to validate this account.
    You: yes
    Kyle: May I ask what was the name of your High School?
    You: [my high school name]
    Kyle: Let me go ahead and process your request. Allow me one moment.
    You: ok
    Kyle: I already processed your request. And the ticket number or reference for this transaction will be 11709xxxxx.
    Kyle: Kindly make sure that the old phone is off.
    Kyle: We will now wait for the activation to be completed.
    Kyle: Kindly try to turn your new phone off and back.
    You: The phone was turned off and now back on.
    Kyle: Kindly try to make a call and let me know if it works.
    You: The phone can make calls now. Could you give me the new expiration date and balance?
    Kyle: I am still waiting for my system to generate your account balance.
    Kyle: Upon checking your account, it shows that you have xxxx minutes for voice/calling, xxxx text messages and x.x gigabytes of data remaining.
    Kyle: Your Service End Date will be on xx/xx/202x.
    Kyle: Is there anything else that I can assist you with?
    You: All is well. Thank you very much.
    Kyle: You are welcome. It is my pleasure.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    advcomp2019, This is why I got that message, yeah? And why I must switch phones? Or are you saying something more is afoot? The MyFlip came up when I clicked on their "upgrade" link so I inferred it'll be good for awhile?
    Yep and yep. Verizon is dropping their CDMA network which is their 2G and 3G network, and mainly going to 4G and 5G. Verizon has been talking about this for a few years already. They have changed the date. It was going to be the start of 2020, but they changed it to the start of 2021.

All the new phones support 4G and VoLTE at least. So that is not an issue.

The only issue might be areas that might not have 4G coverage, and you used to have CDMA in that area.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    The only issue might be areas that might not have 4G coverage, and you used to have CDMA in that area.
    I don't think the OP ever stated his location.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I don't think the OP ever stated his location.
    That is kinda why I said that. I know there is places still with CDMA only, and Verizon has not upgraded the tower to LTE yet.

Feedback Score
    lol "her" (see username for gender clue ) location: Fort Wayne, IN.

Ok awesome, I'll make sure to ask the chat rep to state current minutes/days at the outset so no debate later. That transcript was comforting to read, I shall report back just for fun, after I do it, hoperfully with a similarly easy experience.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    lol "her" (see username for gender clue )
    Sorry, English is not my native language. I don't think "hag" is in my Dictionary Of The 5000 Most Common English Words

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast