Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GV calls using Tracfone minutes

Feedback Score

GV calls using Tracfone minutes

So I discovered today when answering incoming calls on my Tracfone it has been taking minutes off. The GV app is set to use wifi or data. This happens even when wifi is available. Any thoughts?

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    So these are incoming calls to your GV number? And in the GV app Settings under "Making and receiving calls" you've got it set to "Prefer Wi-Fi and mobile data"?

Feedback Score
    That is exactly the way I have it set.

Feedback Score
    Yes, calls to my GV number. This never happen when I was using Hangouts. Thanks

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    The Hangouts issue not withstanding, and the way the GV feature is set up to "Prefer" calls over data (not exactly a hard-set expression), would imply to me that it leaves open the possibility of a fallback to cellular if there is no data/Wi-Fi signal sensed, available, or enabled.

Assuming you've got solid Wi-Fi, I would try putting the phone into Airplane mode, then re-enable Wi-Fi, and see what the result is.

When you say Wi-Fi is available, is this at home? Is the Wi-Fi dual band, and is the phone capable of using the 5 GHz band?

Feedback Score
    Yes wifi at home. This phone is only 2.4 ghz.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Any possibility the router isn't putting out any 2.4, or there's some level of congestion on the channel(s) being used?

Feedback Score
    Switched back to Hangouts and everything works perfectly. I hope Google goes not eliminate it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LCSJL View Post
    Switched back to Hangouts and everything works perfectly. I hope Google goes not eliminate it.
    Please see https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...ice-App-Issues for the reasons why I won't yet switch from Hangouts to the GV app. Google needs to do a better job with the GV app!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Please see https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...ice-App-Issues for the reasons why I won't yet switch from Hangouts to the GV app. Google needs to do a better job with the GV app!
    I was trying out the GV app because I was afraid they were going to shut down Hangouts. I would stay with Hangouts, but how long will Hangouts be around?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LCSJL View Post
    I was trying out the GV app because I was afraid they were going to shut down Hangouts. I would stay with Hangouts, but how long will Hangouts be around?
    Yes. That's the exact same reason I'm testing the GV app, and the reason I found all the issues on my list at the link above. As evidenced by what you found, there are other issues than the ones I listed!

I'm going to continue using Hangouts until Google disables it OR until Google fixes the issues that I've listed at the above link. If Google disables Hangouts, I'll be forced to switch to the GV app, and then if the GV app issues remain, I'll have to decide if I want to put up with them or if I'll try to find another solution.

Feedback Score
    By chance do you have cell telephone number 'linked' and/or 'forwarded to' set up in your GV settings? My thought is if your cell number is linked and, specifically, you have your GV number forwarding to your cell number it it will use minutes. The setting for preferring data/wifi is vor calling out, not receiving calls, right? If you have the app installed on your cell phone with out the cell number linked/forwarded to, the app will do the heavy lifting, so to speak. Just a thought...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    The setting is titled "Making and receiving calls." This is pretty much now the only settings control that governs whether your GV call goes VoIP or goes cellular. As I interpret it, anyway.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    @Boz1: You know how in Hangouts Settings there's a toggle for SMS, and when you set it and elect to use Hangouts for SMS sent to your GV number, it disables that ability for the GV app (if I'm not mistaken). For SMS it's one or the other.

That exclusivity based on controls in Hangouts hasn't been apparent regarding voice calls up to now, as far as I'm aware. But what if Google is "sneaking" that in as a "feature" of the controls in Hangouts for voice calls the way it already is for SMS?

@LCSJL, you might want to try switching off "Incoming Phone Calls" in Hangouts to see if it allows the GV app to handle the call, if you haven't done that already.

Feedback Score
    Please forgive me if I'm misunderstanding, but SMS is the only thing that becomes exclusive when using Hangouts.

But I didn't realize this until I experienced the both apps ringing at the same time as described at https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...-With-Hangouts that started after the May, 2020, Android update.

I can't say for certain that the May, 2020, Android update stared the issue, or if it was just coincidental timing.

In any event, that's when I first realized that I can use the same GV phone #s in Hangouts and the GV app.

I find the GV app settings to be confusing with the "Devices and numbers" and "Call forwarding", etc., sort of like you mentioned at https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...9#post17135379, not to mention all the app notification in the GV app that I've discovered recently.

As an aside, remember back when Google wanted everyone to use the Hangouts app?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast