Thread: Expansion in WY/NE

Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T, & T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Expansion in WY/NE

Back in January someone had posted that T was going to put a lot of effort in coverage expansion the first half of the year in Nebraska and Wyoming. I realize things were very different in January, but does anyone have any updates on this? Nebraska seems to have gotten some love lately, but I keep looking for new coverage along I-80 in WY.

Side Q: Everyone seems to be looking to overbuild Union Wireless because of rumored "bad roaming deals", but does anyone roam on their LTE network?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    AT&T is building on Viaero towers, putting their own equipment lower on the tower versus continuing to rely on Viaero roaming. This started in Nebraska primarily in the US 20 and US 275 corridors, although it's since expanded southward in the Sandhills and a few south-central Nebraska sites. In Wyoming, it'll be limited to a selection of Viaero towers (only far SE part of the state) where AT&T doesn't already have native coverage.

I don't have any knowledge of plans elsewhere in Wyoming at this point. (Doesn't mean there aren't plans, but just that I'm not privy to them.)
    AT&T customer since 2007; Alltel 2004-07. Android user since 2014 and will never go back to Apple.
    I recommend and use CellMapper for testing and mapping signal coverage and have contributed extensively in the greater St. Louis region and surrounding states.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    I would be curious the next time I'm back to Nebraska. I was in SE Nebraska a year ago, and since I had a phone interview scheduled, I stopped in a smaller town where ATT had coverage and waited. Of the major companies, Verizon has worked best when I've been up there. But I've never been up there with a B14 compatible phone on ATT, which may help. I know ATT dropped out on US34 betwen Lincoln and Seward.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    I would be curious the next time I'm back to Nebraska. I was in SE Nebraska a year ago, and since I had a phone interview scheduled, I stopped in a smaller town where ATT had coverage and waited. Of the major companies, Verizon has worked best when I've been up there. But I've never been up there with a B14 compatible phone on ATT, which may help. I know ATT dropped out on US34 betwen Lincoln and Seward.
    B14 in Lincoln is still nonexistent at this point though nearby towns like Hickman and Seward do have it now. Hopefully that changes soon.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I've been wondering about any improvements or expansions in Wyoming, Montana, and the Dakotas as well. If anyone has heard anything or noticed anything.

I know in the Black Hills where I live it seems ATT may have overtaken Verizon on coverage. Speeds are usually good for both. Location dependent of course. I'm curious if either carrier has improved service or coverage at Devils Tower.

Last summer I went to Yellowstone from the Black Hills using Verizon and didn't have service half the time on the road there unless I got near a city. Which kinda sucked honestly. Not sure if ATT is much better.

Any word?
    Last edited by whitetigergrowl; 06-14-2020 at 11:43 AM.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    AT&T is better than Verizon out there

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Shentel is actually a Sprint affiliate but yeah in my experience Sprint in that area is pretty amazing and is better than AT&T in parts of it and definitely covers better than Verizon, or USCC.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by soy_kixx View Post
    AT&T is better than Verizon out there
    Better where exactly?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whitetigergrowl View Post
    Better where exactly?
    West Virginia mostly and Sprint is somewhat better than AT&T in some parts of that area mainly because of Shentel and how they put up towers where no one ever did before.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsoul1989 View Post
    Shentel is actually a Sprint affiliate but yeah in my experience Sprint in that area is pretty amazing and is better than AT&T in parts of it and definitely covers better than Verizon, or USCC.

Somehow apparently the thread jumped from Nebraska/Wyoming to West Virginia WV, a state I haven't visited yet.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    Somehow apparently the thread jumped from Nebraska/Wyoming to West Virginia WV, a state I haven't visited yet.
    LOL that was my fault. Busted!

I posted a response to the wrong thread then deleted my comment. But the conversation continued..

Sorry guys.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017