Thread: Moving Tracfone number to different phone that was on AT&T

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

Moving Tracfone number to different phone that was on AT&T

Have been using an Alcatel/TCL phone with Tracfone. Have had this same phone number for 40 years or more.
    I want to keep the number, but use it on a Samsung Galaxy S10e that was being used on my husband's AT&T account until he closed it last night. The AT&T number is no longer in use.
    I somehow wallowed through moving the number from an LG to the Alcatel, but learned that it must be done exactly right to not lose my vintage phone number.
    I will be retiring the Alcatel phone. I think I need to go get a fresh Tracfone SIM card for the Galaxy, right? Is it possible to screw up that task?
    What do I do after I get the right SIM card? Advice?
    I am over 70 - please be specific.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Is the Alcatel TF-branded? Do you know which carrier (on TF) it uses? Do you want to stay with the same carrier or switch to AT&T ?

Feedback Score
    What TF network are you currently using on TF? What size is the SIM card?

If currently TF AT&T and the same size SIM card, you should be able to simply move it into the Samsung Galaxy S10e.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    What TF network are you currently using on TF? What size is the SIM card?

If currently TF AT&T and the same size SIM card, you should be able to simply move it into the Samsung Galaxy S10e.
    A Tracfone Alcatel TCL would have come set up with Verizon. Yes, we need to know which carrier the OP wants to be on.
    AT&T does not list B13 or CDMA for their branded S10e. That would limit it for Verizon use.
    Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12, 14, 19, 20, 28, 29, 30, 38, 39, 40, 41, 46, and 66

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

Moving my TF number to different phone.

I can now email a text to the Alcatel phone by using "mynumber" at txt.att.net, so I suppose TF is using att.net here.
    Alcatel A501DL phone is TF branded. Android 8.1.0. Uses a nano SIM, I think.
    The Samsung Galaxy 10e with Android 10 was purchased and set up through AT&T, but we discontinued all our AT&T phone service, including all 4 numbers.
    Its model number is SM-G970U. I think it has one SIM slot, nano-SIM (4FF)
    I really should look inside, but can't find that spudger, or whatever, right now. (Someone is sleeping in the dark bedroom where it is stored.)
    Most of what I read says that if I just swap the SIM from one phone to another I will be able to receive calls, but not make them. Goal is to use my established TF number with the Samsung, and donate the Alcatel to a charity that wants it.

Feedback Score
    If OP wants to donate the old TF does the IMEI need to be freed up so as not to cause her current problems?
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.38 otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 07.08.20

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mgbeheler View Post
    Most of what I read says that if I just swap the SIM from one phone to another I will be able to receive calls, but not make them. Goal is to use my established TF number with the Samsung, and donate the Alcatel to a charity that wants it.
    Although swapping a SIM from a TF-branded phone into a compatible BYOP phone will fully work for calls/texts/data, there is a potential problem. In TF system, that SIM is paired with its original phone. If you donate/sell the Alcatel and the new owner activates it with a new SIM, TF will deactivate the original SIM (being used in your Samsung), and suddenly you'll lose your phone service, number, units/days.

The proper way is to buy a BYOP SIM Kit for $1 at Best Buy, Dollar stores, Target, ebay..., then contact TF Chat to have service (number, units/days) transferred from the Alcatel to the nano BYOP TF/AT&T SIM. Then use that SIM in the Samsung.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mgbeheler View Post
    I can now email a text to the Alcatel phone by using "mynumber" at txt.att.net, so I suppose TF is using att.net here.
    Alcatel A501DL phone is TF branded.
    Makes no sense the Alcatel is operating on AT&T unless the SIM was changed from the one that came with it. Does not really matter now, as you want to transfer service to the Galaxy 10e anyway.