Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AT&T Prepaid cripples unlocked phones to HSPA+ and can have poor call quality due to no HD Voice

Feedback Score
    I like some on here DID NOT HAVE problems with unlocked phones and At&t as of now 2020 were as 2 years ago i did i only got hspa 2 years ago and no volte , but this 2020 has been different Once i put in my At&t sim card on unlocked samsung phones it did everything on its own . Automatically updated the apn settings and got LTE and VOLTE , voice over lte .

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I can confirm some of this, I switched to AT&T's Unlimited Plus $75 plan ($50 after autopay discount) and I don't have VoLTE or WIFI calling.

This is really silly of AT&T to do; my device (iPhone 11) works fine on their network for all these features when I was with WingAlpha (another mvno). I may switch to zillatalkwireless next month.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLinuxGuy View Post
    I can confirm some of this, I switched to AT&T's Unlimited Plus $75 plan ($50 after autopay discount) and I don't have VoLTE or WIFI calling.

This is really silly of AT&T to do; my device (iPhone 11) works fine on their network for all these features when I was with WingAlpha (another mvno). I may switch to zillatalkwireless next month.
    That's insane that it isn't working for your iPhone 11 and yet I have an unlocked Pixel 3a and it works just fine. I'm on the same exact plan too and I got the autopay discount when I switched to the Verizon side of Straight Talk and then to AT&T prepaid.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score

Something is misconfigured on your phone or with the service. You may want to ensure that there isn't some profile hanging around. Profiles seem to cause nothing but problems.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

I think back to the iPhone 6 or 6S that plan should have volte and wifi calling. Something isn't provisioned properly.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    I think back to the iPhone 6 or 6S that plan should have volte and wifi calling. Something isn't provisioned properly.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Nope... as kevin said above..

i'm betting under Settings > General > Profiles there's still something installed from the previous carrier that's overriding the APN
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    Visible: $25 “toy” SIM card to throw in whatever’s secondary.

Feedback Score
    AT&T has a list of unlocked phones that support HD voice at https://www.att.com/ecms/dam/att/con...TT-Network.pdf

Really wish they'd enable a generic profile for any phone with VoLTE capabilities now though, if not for any other reason than 911 calls. Post-paid suffers the same fate as prepaid. No VoLTE if you're not on the list.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skuzz View Post
    AT&T has a list of unlocked phones that support HD voice at https://www.att.com/ecms/dam/att/con...TT-Network.pdf

Really wish they'd enable a generic profile for any phone with VoLTE capabilities now though, if not for any other reason than 911 calls. Post-paid suffers the same fate as prepaid. No VoLTE if you're not on the list.
    Personally I feel like all carriers need to get with the program, including MVNOs. I mean it's 2020. We aren't far away from 3G being shut down anyway I would say.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Remember that since the MVNO/Prepaid providers don't own their own networks, they can only offer services approved/offered by the major carrier they lease service from. Prepaid has traditionally been limited in services they can provide and that is not going to change. If you want all the premium services you would likely have to upgrade to a standard, monthly postpaid plan.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    Remember that since the MVNO/Prepaid providers don't own their own networks, they can only offer services approved/offered by the major carrier they lease service from. Prepaid has traditionally been limited in services they can provide and that is not going to change. If you want all the premium services you would likely have to upgrade to a standard, monthly postpaid plan.
    I had Straight Talk previously and you could get VoLTE with Verizon. You couldn't with AT&T.

MVNOs won't have a choice when 3G gets shut down. AT&T said they are keeping it until about 2022 so maybe it will still be a while.

I just moved in on AT&T prepaid with the $75/50 with autopay deal. Great price for the features of the plan. Promo makes it worth it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ManOSteel94 View Post
    I had Straight Talk previously and you could get VoLTE with Verizon. You couldn't with AT&T.

MVNOs won't have a choice when 3G gets shut down. AT&T said they are keeping it until about 2022 so maybe it will still be a while.

I just moved in on AT&T prepaid with the $75/50 with autopay deal. Great price for the features of the plan. Promo makes it worth it.

The funny thing is that nearly 2 years ago I saw that my brother in law's iPhone 6 somehow had VoLTE on ST ATT. Some glitch in the system. I think Wi-Fi calling may have also been available. But since it wasn't a promised feature there wasn't a way to ensure it was available for others.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    The funny thing is that nearly 2 years ago I saw that my brother in law's iPhone 6 somehow had VoLTE on ST ATT. Some glitch in the system. I think Wi-Fi calling may have also been available. But since it wasn't a promised feature there wasn't a way to ensure it was available for others.
    Yup I've heard of that. The thing is I'm on Pixel 3a and I guess AT&T jewed everyone that isn't on the P4 out of visual voicemail. I thought that would be something I'd get when I switched then I researched it. Nope. They just haven't given most Pixels VVM. Kinda crazy since Pixel is Google's bread and butter.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Just seems like every company seems to come up with reasons to avoid them. ATT with their current policy toward many non ATT branded phones (as you have). Verizon apparently can give MVNOs issues if you go from Verizon to the MVNO with many phones you may have bought through Verizon. T-Mobile still not as good as coverage, especially with phones over a few years old (many without B71).

ATT has at least 1 prepaid plan that doesn't support Wi-Fi calling.

I'm back to the ATT network (not directly with them) because the MVNO was cheaper for my usage than T-Mobile postpaid, and Verizon had coverage issues in my workplace. Probably tower location or band for my area.

A virtually impossible but finitely improbable location
    Device(s)
    Note 8
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skuzz View Post
    So, according to this, a *Verizon* note 20 will work on ATT for wifi calling, but a stock *Samsung* carrier unbranded phone will not... Correct?

Hardware is identical, correct?

Would you be able to simply flash the carrier firmware from the non bloatware unbranded version, to get wifi calling? The phone should then update with OTA updates...

No?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Boulevard View Post
    So, according to this, a *Verizon* note 20 will work on ATT for wifi calling, but a stock *Samsung* carrier unbranded phone will not... Correct?

Hardware is identical, correct?

Would you be able to simply flash the carrier firmware from the non bloatware unbranded version, to get wifi calling? The phone should then update with OTA updates...

No?
    No, as AT$T bases it off the IMEI.

This crap is why i refuse to use an Android phone on AT&T if it did not come from them, it’s too much hassle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast