Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Samsung A51 Amazon Deal of the Day

Feedback Score

Samsung A51 Amazon Deal of the Day

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086FKHTLZ

If you were thinking about getting the Samsung Galaxy A51, you might want to take a look at this Amazon Deal of the Day. It is priced the lowest I've seen at $289.

The is the the Unlocked version. I was going to the get the Verizon version for Tracfone but now I see this Unlocked version marked down.

Is there any advantage to getting the Verizon version over the Unlocked one? I guess I am confused why they even make network specific models instead of all the phones being unlocked. I mean, unless there is something I am missing, isn't it better to get an unlocked phone?

Feedback Score
    As soon as I posted that I saw this about potential issues using an unlocked phone:

"The caveat is that you might not get every network feature, like Wi-Fi calling or HD voice, and the carrier won't guarantee that the voice or data network will work perfectly on your phone. In other words, you're on your own."

That gives me pause so I might just wait and get the Verizon version.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    There are some trade-offs between a carrier-branded phone and its factory-unlocked version:
    - A factory-unlocked phone can be used with any compatible carrier out of the box. The carrier-branded phone has to "serve some time" before getting unlocked by the carrier.
    - A carrier-branded phone tends to get loaded with their own apps.
    - Like you mentioned, a carrier might provision some features only for their own branded phone but not a factory-unlocked version.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RavensRebel View Post
    "The caveat is that you might not get every network feature, like Wi-Fi calling or HD voice, and the carrier won't guarantee that the voice or data network will work perfectly on your phone. In other words, you're on your own."
    Not so much a phone issue, but the network locks some features out to the MVNO customers. Everyone running on the Verizon network will get HD Voice (to another phone on Verizon), but not WiFi calling. Otherwise, the standard functions should work fine if the carrier allows that phone to activate. Verizon is picky on network compatibility, so self certify a lot of new phones besides their own models.

Carrier allowed features for MVNOs:
    Verizon: VoLTE, HD Voice
    AT&T: VoLTE(?)
    T-Mobile: VoLTE, HD Voice, WiFi calling
    Last edited by loboheeler; 06-09-2020 at 07:25 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    There are some trade-offs between a carrier-branded phone and its factory-unlocked version:
    - A factory-unlocked phone can be used with any compatible carrier out of the box. The carrier-branded phone has to "serve some time" before getting unlocked by the carrier.
    - A carrier-branded phone tends to get loaded with their own apps.
    - Like you mentioned, a carrier might provision some features only for their own branded phone but not a factory-unlocked version.
    Thanks for that.

Hmmmm... I so want to save some money and snag that deal as it is over $100 off, but I don't want any issues. And I could see Verizon pulling some shenanigans on disabling features on unblocked phones. Back to Plan A with the Verizon version when it's goes on sale again. Right now it is holding at $400

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/Z3/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone, RedPkt
    Feedback Score
    As far as MVNOs go, Verizon and T-Mobile tend to make most (if not all) of the same features available to either branded or non-branded phones. It is AT&T that is dragging its feet on offering such things as VoLTE or WiFi Calling with unbranded Android phones, on MVNOs.

That unbranded Samsung A51 should be a great choice for TracFone-VZ, and should get the same features a branded phone would on a MVNO. It would also be a better choice if you did decide to try another carrier, in the future.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    As far as MVNOs go, Verizon and T-Mobile tend to make most (if not all) of the same features available to either branded or non-branded phones. It is AT&T that is dragging its feet on offering such things as VoLTE or WiFi Calling with unbranded Android phones, on MVNOs.

That unbranded Samsung A51 should be a great choice for TracFone-VZ, and should get the same features a branded phone would on a MVNO. It would also be a better choice if you did decide to try another carrier, in the future.
    Gosh, now I don't know. Ok, I have a few more hours to decide before it ends.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    Yep, you are going to get whatever Advanced Calling features Verizon allows on an MVNO. Assuming the phone is capable of course.

Feedback Score
    The consensus is favorable. Okay guys, I believe you have quelled my apprehension of getting an unlocked phone.

I think I am going to pull the trigger. But how many times can a gal change her mind? Thousands.

Feedback Score
    The consensus is favorable. Okay guys, I believe you have quelled my apprehension of getting an unlocked phone.

I think I am going to pull the trigger. But how many times can a gal change her mind? Thousands.
    If given choice, I would go with unlock phone. Tracfone branded phones tend to drag their feet (if any) when upgrading their OS software. For example, I have LG Tracfone brand phone for two years that have been stuck on Android 7.0 OS, while have Samsung unlocked phone that have already updated to Android 8.0

Also you can use an unlocked phone internationally

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_D View Post
    If given choice, I would go with unlock phone. Tracfone branded phones tend to drag their feet (if any) when upgrading their OS software.
    Think the choice was between an all carrier unlocked phone and the Verizon branded one. The Galaxy A51 has not been released by Tracfone yet.

Feedback Score

I think I am going to pull the trigger.
    Did you make it? Price is back up to $400 now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Did you make it? Price is back up to $400 now.
    I didn't get it. But I am not a fickle woman, I promise. I was about the get it. I went to the Samsung website just to look over the phone one last time and then I saw this:

"Coming soon. Galaxy A71 5G and A51 5G"

https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/galaxy-a-series-5g/

https://news.samsung.com/global/sams...-galaxy-a51-5g

Brakes screeched. Now, admittedly the way I use my phone, I am sure I don't need 5g. I barely even know what it is. It's faster is all I know. I don't need the latest and greatest (I continued to use my XP computer a good 5 years after XP was discontinued) But I want to keep my next phone for as long as humanly possible and thought if 5g is the future, maybe I should go with that.

Now what I don't know is how much that 5g phone is going to cost. It's probably going to be more than I want to spend. But the specs are too tempting not to wait and see. I am salivating over that 6GB of ram. The Crown often gets bogged down when too many things are open. I don't have much time though. I am already maxed out on storage space on my Crown and can't even update apps anymore. Which makes me mad because I just got it around Christmas. That's why I decided my next phone is going to be future-proof for a few years. A 16GB phone in this day and age ought to be against the law.

Feedback Score
    I didn't get it. But I am not a fickle woman, I promise. I was about the get it. I went to the Samsung website just to look over the phone one last time and then I saw this:

"Coming soon. Galaxy A71 5G and A51 5G"

https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/galaxy-a-series-5g/

https://news.samsung.com/global/sams...-galaxy-a51-5g

Brakes screeched. Now, admittedly the way I use my phone, I am sure I don't need 5g. I barely even know what it is. It's faster is all I know. I don't need the latest and greatest (I continued to use my XP computer a good 5 years after XP was discontinued) But I want to keep my next phone for as long as humanly possible and thought if 5g is the future, maybe I should go with that.

Now what I don't know is how much that 5g phone is going to cost. It's probably going to be more than I want to spend. But the specs are too tempting not to wait and see. I am salivating over that 6GB of ram. The Crown often gets bogged down when too many things are open. I don't have much time though. I am already maxed out on storage space on my Crown and can't even update apps anymore. Which makes me mad because I just got it around Christmas. That's why I decided my next phone is going to be future-proof for a few years. A 16GB phone in this day and age ought to be against the law.
    Uh-oh. I searched for an estimate of how much the 5g may cost:
    https://venturebeat.com/2020/04/08/s...nscious-users/

Since when is $500 budget conscious?! I can't think of a way I would spend $500 on a phone. $400 is pushing it but I am slightly amenable. Of course it will come down but I might not be able to wait that long. Some apps like Voice stop working without an update.

I believe I might regret passing up that Deal of the Day price. It will be hard to stomach spending $200 more for the 5g.

Feedback Score
    Now, admittedly the way I use my phone, I am sure I don't need 5g. I barely even know what it is. It's faster is all I know.
    You don't want to consider 5G at this point. It is far from being fully implemented, and the phones are too expensive. The super fast mmWave frequencies will never get out of the cities. Very short range and need bunches of small cell nodes. Only very expensive phones even support that. The most common low-band 5G is not faster than 4G LTE. Verizon has none of that, and AT&T not so good either. T-Mobile rules here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast