Thread: New phone on an old plan

Feedback Score

New phone on an old plan

Friend has an iPhone 5s that was bought new from Sprint. These are not VoLTE capable, and I informed there was likely going to be a problem when T-Mobile decided to move the Sprint accounts over.

Could an upgraded phone be used on their present Sprint plan, or would it be forced to a T-Mobile plan?

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Friend has an iPhone 5s that was bought new from Sprint. These are not VoLTE capable, and I informed there was likely going to be a problem when T-Mobile decided to move the Sprint accounts over.

Could an upgraded phone be used on their present Sprint plan, or would it be forced to a T-Mobile plan?
    New TMo and Sprint are not fully integrated yet. Sprint still does what Sprint does. That could last for 1-3 years depending the full integration timeline.

I just added a new line to Sprint. All is well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gdrenick74 View Post
    New TMo and Sprint are not fully integrated yet. Sprint still does what Sprint does. That could last for 1-3 years depending the full integration timeline.

I just added a new line to Sprint. All is well.

Thanks for the opinion! I had not seen anything imminent on transferring Sprint accounts. The friend might be better off upgrading their phone now to take advantage of the roaming with T-Mo. Both networks have big weaknesses here.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Thanks for the opinion! I had not seen anything imminent on transferring Sprint accounts. The friend might be better off upgrading their phone now to take advantage of the roaming with T-Mo. Both networks have big weaknesses here.
    Agreed....certainly before the end of 2020 to be safe.

Device(s)
    Pocket PC
    Feedback Score
    I just upgraded from a galaxy s5 sport to an s20 ultra 5g. They have enabled roaming on tmobile and I have connected to their slower 5g by the airport to check it out. I kept my sprint 55+ plan also.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile should be offering incentives for Sprint customers whose phones are not compatible with T-Mobile's network. It might be best to wait until he finds out what those incentives will be.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    T-Mobile should be offering incentives for Sprint customers whose phones are not compatible with T-Mobile's network. It might be best to wait until he finds out what those incentives will be.
    There does not seem to be a rush for switching over Sprint customer accounts to T-Mo. Allowing cross roaming takes off the transition strain. Using roaming might sometimes provide better signal coverage. In my area one of the main highways has better T-Mo coverage, while the other highway has better Sprint coverage.

As far as incentives, not sure what they might offer. A cash discount would work, but not a cheap replacement T-Mo phone. My friend has a T-Mo incompatible iPhone 5s, and would likely want to get a new SE.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Max, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    From what I understand, T-Mobile will keep the Sprint network running for almost three years, due to contractual obligations. As such, it will likely be two years or so before T-Mobile starts providing incentives to switch to a T-Mobile compatible phone. I'm sure T-Mobile is hoping most Sprint customers will switch to a T-Mobile compatible phone, without incentive, over the next two years.

I did read that T-Mobile is planning on closing Sprint stores next month, as well as no longer selling new Sprint service -- it was planned for May (or so) but the virus slowed down the plans (not sure if it might slip further). It is unclear how that might affect current Sprint customers, if they want/need to switch plans.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mogelijk View Post
    I did read that T-Mobile is planning on closing Sprint stores next month, as well as no longer selling new Sprint service -- it was planned for May (or so) but the virus slowed down the plans (not sure if it might slip further). It is unclear how that might affect current Sprint customers, if they want/need to switch plans.
    Store closings were discussed a lot in the later stages of the merger. Some of the state PUCs and DOJs were concerned about job loss because of inevitable redundancy. Sprint and T-Mobile stores are largely overlapping, so they will be winnowed down despite any promises made to smooth the deal.

Yes, have to wait and see how long you can get a new Sprint Plan.