Thread: deactivate promo codes for a particular phone

Feedback Score

deactivate promo codes for a particular phone

I have used TF for years and have always used promo codes. Now it won't let me get the extra 500 MB for the $10 1 GB data. The promo codes still work for other stuff (e.g., adding texts or phone minutes). I can also get the promo for my wife's phone (which is identical to mine). My only conclusion is that TF flagged my number/SIM and disabled the promo for the data feature.

I tried TF chat and got nowhere (they tell me what the the error message tells me, that the promo is invalid for this phone). Has anyone else had this issue? I am wondering if I got a new SIM if that would get me cleared again.

I keep looking for an alternative on the AT&T network but so far, TracFone fits my needs best, even though they have horrible customer service and there are glitches that pop up like this.

Feedback Score
    There is a website called Turk Forums: https://turkforums.jcink.net/

They have something called The Holy Scroll of Promotion Codes, but you need to register in order to see it.

Anyway, they are currently showing:

78439 - 500mb of data free when you buy the $10 smartphone Data card. (may end 06/30/20)

14223 - 500mb of data free when you buy the $10 smartphone Data card. (may end 06/30/20)

66975 - 500mb of data free when you buy the $10 smartphone Data card. (may end 06/30/20)

Sometimes Tracfone thinks you have used a code too many times, so try a different one. They usually have a number of codes that all do the same thing.

Feedback Score
    I think they have different codes that all do the same thing because when you use a code, TF can tell which ad you saw. Not that it makes any difference to us. We share almost all the codes regardless.

Feedback Score
    Lisme,
    Thanks for your reply. Those are the codes that used to work, but stopped working all of the sudden a few months back for my phone. As I said, they still work on other phones in my family. Also, I can get similar codes to work for minutes/texts on my phone. It looks like TF just froze that phone out of all data promo codes. I get "Promotion 78439 not valid for this phone." Same message for every code out there. I am thinking for $1 it might be worth it to try new SIM.

Feedback Score
    Just throwing this out there.
    Are your other family members on TF/ATT? (I assume per your comment you're on TF/ATT.)
    Did you ever use your phone as a hot spot ? (maybe it's their punishment.)

Feedback Score
    I don't think a new SIM would help since you do not enter that information when applying the promo code.
    It uses your phone number and that will not change with the new SIM.

Feedback Score
    RPZ1,
    Yes we are all TF/ATT. Kids have iphones, the wife and I have the same exact android phone (Moto g7). Have never used a phone to make hot spot. I think I bought like 5 gigs at once one time and used a code...maybe that crossed the line. But I really don't use a ton of data (maybe 2 gigs per month).

Honestly sick of playing TF games but am still too cheap to pay $30-40 per line per month for regular service. I keep searching for alternatives. Would try Mint ($15 per month for unlimited talk/text and 3G data) but they run on T-mobile. ATT is what gets best service in my rural area.

Feedback Score
    LadyLC,
    That's kind of what I thought, but for a buck it might be worth testing. Thought maybe number you enter is linked to SIM so if SIM changed, the number wouldn't activate my red flag (if that's what it is).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyLC View Post
    I don't think a new SIM would help since you do not enter that information when applying the promo code.
    It uses your phone number and that will not change with the new SIM.
    Yes, the code use is tied to the phone number. One time use used to be enforced, and I kept track of that for reference next time. Later it would allow some code re-use on the same phone. I only use promo codes for data purchases, and not very often.

Feedback Score

Goodbye TF

Thanks for all the input folks. I just sat down with a long overdue inspection of my credit card charges to TracFone. I have been using more data then I thought, and with no promo codes working, have been paying $10 per gig. After a couple hours of research, I realized that I was WAY overpaying.

I am going to try ATT prepaid service. Have to pay for a year up front but that isn't an issue for me. Get 8 gigs per month (more than I use) and unlimited text/talk for $25 per month.

I used to love TracFone but they just screw with everything (deal offered, now its not; promo codes work, then they don't; wifi calling works but not with your phone) and their customer service is literally the worst I've dealt with in any company ever.

This morning I had a "come to Jesus" moment. I realized that I'm like the old person that still uses AOL b/c that was the bomb when the internet started. Other companies have caught up to and passed TF.

Feedback Score
    jmaahs, TF is best for people with medium-low usage needs. If you're using that much data, it makes perfect sense to move to another provider. Enjoy your new AT&T service!