Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Reporting areas of poor coverage

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Reporting areas of poor coverage

Other than submitting a network ticket can anything else be done to have a coverage area re-evaluated. I am looking at building a new house and coverage in that area is pretty poor (I highly doubt that once the house is built I would even have any indoor coverage at all).

5-10 years ago the area was nothing but agriculture and livestock farms and Iím sure coverage would have been quite adequate. Now their are at least 6 or so new subdivision and probably 500 hundred or so new houses that have been built or are still being built.

Submitting a network ticket just gets the usual (yup thatís a poor coverage area, get a network extender or use WiFi) response. Is their any way to report an area of growth so they can evaluate tower placement again. Iím wondering if Verizon knew that a once desolate farmland was now full of new houses if they would look at adding a new tower. Itís not like this is an area in the middle of nowhere. Itís probably only 5 or so miles from an international airport.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    Qualcomm iPhone X 256 GB Space Grey
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    I have tried the same thing with T-Mobile. It can take well over a year to get a new tower installed. Itís not as easy as one would think. T-Mobile stopped selling CellSpots so thankfully I bought a used one on eBay (signal booster) and its working great now.

Your best bet is to get an extender if needed. Thatís a temporary fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonomics101 View Post
    I have tried the same thing with T-Mobile. It can take well over a year to get a new tower installed. It’s not as easy as one would think. T-Mobile stopped selling CellSpots so thankfully I bought a used one on eBay (signal booster) and its working great now.

Your best bet is to get an extender if needed. That’s a temporary fix.

Good advice IMHO. Getting a carrier to build/install a new tower is very difficult as it is costly to build and maintain. The carrier only installs such hardware when there are a large amount of potential users and insufficient coverage in a particular area. Contacting CS is your best option. I don't know of any additional options with Verizon to report poor coverage. Best wishes.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonomics101 View Post
    I have tried the same thing with T-Mobile. It can take well over a year to get a new tower installed. Itís not as easy as one would think. T-Mobile stopped selling CellSpots so thankfully I bought a used one on eBay (signal booster) and its working great now.

Your best bet is to get an extender if needed. Thatís a temporary fix.

I know it can take a long time. I donít think it would be a quick fix. My question is more related to how often they evaluate coverage areas. Iím sure years ago it would have been good enough but not now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    5-10 years ago the area was nothing but agriculture and livestock farms and I’m sure coverage would have been quite adequate. Now their are at least 6 or so new subdivision and probably 500 hundred or so new houses that have been built or are still being built.

Submitting a network ticket just gets the usual (yup that’s a poor coverage area, get a network extender or use WiFi) response.
    Yes, network congestion eats signal. I have seen it in my somewhat rural town the last couple of years. They started using mid-band B66 for most of the load, but it is not good for range or penetration. You also see low-band B5 in small doses. Almost never the B13 backbone anymore.

You are going to need WiFi for an LTE extender. Does the new area have that? The Verizon unit is $250.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Fortunately you can just use WiFi calling when you are at home. Works pretty well these days (I had some issues when they first rolled it out in iPhones but not so much anymore). WiFi calling largely reduces the need for network extenders (although there are still rare times/use cases when a network extender may be a better option).

As for your neighborhood having poor signal, that sucks. I've been there. I used WiFi calling and/or network extenders at home over the years but I'd often drop a call when entering/exiting my subdivision due to poor signal when I lived in Colorado. The nearest grocery store & shopping plaza had virtually no usable coverage. I remember leaving my cart full of food in the middle of the store once to step outside and attempt to text my wife in order to ask her about something on the grocery list. It wasn't so much the store that was the problem (all buildings reduce coverage to SOME extent), but even in the parking lot I could barely get a text to go through! Things eventually improved over the years though.

That said, I wish there was a better way to report these dead spots to Verizon, although I suspect they already know about them. Sadly, I still don't think there is very much that can be done outside of opening a network ticket.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Is this area of poor coverage universal for all carriers ?

Feedback Score
    The best solution for bad wireless at your residence that I've found are these things called home internet and landlines.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Yes, network congestion eats signal. I have seen it in my somewhat rural town the last couple of years. They started using mid-band B66 for most of the load, but it is not good for range or penetration. You also see low-band B5 in small doses. Almost never the B13 backbone anymore.

You are going to need WiFi for an LTE extender. Does the new area have that? The Verizon unit is $250.
    Same here in Central NJ. Also no you donít really need WiFi for the extender. An Ethernet cable to the back of it from a router or network switch is recommended for the best performance with the extender.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    Same here in Central NJ. Also no you don’t really need WiFi for the extender. An Ethernet cable to the back of it from a router or network switch is recommended for the best performance with the extender.
    An ethernet cable isn't just recommended - it's MANDATORY for the Verizon LTE Network Extender.

Either way, WiFi calling works just as good as the LTE Network Extender these days in my experience. At least on the latest iPhones it does.

Feedback Score
    Also no you donít really need WiFi for the extender. An Ethernet cable to the back of it from a router or network switch is recommended for the best performance with the extender.
    Yes, I read that wrong and you don't need a WiFi connection to an extender. However, the lack of a suitable Internet connection is also common to areas that have poor cellular service. It's the situation in my area where cable and DSL don't go much outside of town. Some can use line-of-sight fixed wireless, but often not good enough for VoIP phone service. Latency and poor upload speeds.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
    An ethernet cable isn't just recommended - it's MANDATORY for the Verizon LTE Network Extender.

Either way, WiFi calling works just as good as the LTE Network Extender these days in my experience. At least on the latest iPhones it does.
    Agreed. I was pretty sure about the extender requiring an Ethernet connection but I remembered a friend of mine on Sprint is using an extender and those allow the use of WiFi instead of Ethernet, so I was just playing it safe in case Verizon was the same way.

I agree. When Verizon announced WiFi calling support I knew the days of the $200+ LTE Extender were numbered, especially when itís free as opposed to having to pay for hardware.

Feedback Score
    I agree. When Verizon announced WiFi calling support I knew the days of the $200+ LTE Extender were numbered, especially when itís free as opposed to having to pay for hardware.
    An alternate is stand alone signal boosters like Wilson weBoost, but those are very pricey.

Maybe not of interest here, but Verizon does not offer WiFi Calling to the MVNOs.

Feedback Score
    Unfortunately signal boosters are not simple to install because you must install an antenna on the roof of your home and run a cable from the unit on the roof of an indoor unit mounted on a wall that communicates with your cellphone. That means routing wires through the attic and the wall. Not simple.

Feedback Score
    Also to address the comment regarding Verizon MVNOs and WiFi calling: Check the website for Visible and you will see that they offer WiFi calling. This makes sense. Why would Verizon want to overload their towers with MVNO customers when the traffic could instead go over WiFi.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast