Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Reporting areas of poor coverage

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DMac704 View Post
    …In no service or poor service areas, small cells aren’t going to do you much good due to the limited range. You need a traditional macro tower, which will have go go through all the hoops I described above.
    I disagree. If enough small cells are implemented strategically around the area it can offer a signal until handoff to an existing macro can be made. Yes ideally a new macro would be a great solution but it just might be easier by comparison to get the small cells approved instead as aesthetics tends to become the deciding factor with new housing developments and its builders. Just look at locations where all the utilities are underground and there are no utility poles. Likely the small cells will be put in top of the street lights on the corners.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    Small cells sound like the perfect solution in this scenario. If there isn’t fiber run in the area they could use other backhaul means from cable providers if it’s more cost effective then running it themselves.
    Years ago new housing developments often got cable installed during initial build. Not sure if that is true now, or if fiber optic has replaced it for multiple use. I doubt a cable company would cooperate with a cellular company.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Years ago new housing developments often got cable installed during initial build. Not sure if that is true now, or if fiber optic has replaced it for multiple use. I doubt a cable company would cooperate with a cellular company.
    I’ve read over the years that cable backhaul is used in some situations. Comcast, for example, offers Xfinity Mobile which is an MVNO on Verizon Wireless, so they too would benefit from the alliance by way of additional coverage and quality of service for their customers, in addition to income from the backhaul service itself.

https://business.comcast.com/enterpr.../cell-backhaul

https://www.multichannel.com/needtok...g-to-look-real

http://www.heavyreading.com/details....em_itemid=1739

https://www.cablelabs.com/enabling-t...obile-backhaul

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone SE (2020)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I disagree. If enough small cells are implemented strategically around the area it can offer a signal until handoff to an existing macro can be made. Yes ideally a new macro would be a great solution but it just might be easier by comparison to get the small cells approved instead as aesthetics tends to become the deciding factor with new housing developments and its builders. Just look at locations where all the utilities are underground and there are no utility poles. Likely the small cells will be put in top of the street lights on the corners.
    It would depend on how big the coverage hole is. If there is a macro close enough it could make sense, but small cells have a very limited range so it wouldn’t help much with a larger gap. I do agree it would be easier to get approval.

Feedback Score
    It would depend on how big the coverage hole is. If there is a macro close enough it could make sense, but small cells have a very limited range so it wouldn’t help much with a larger gap. I do agree it would be easier to get approval.
    I agree. Hopefully whichever way this plays out the OP and the rest of the residents in the affected area get a satisfactory resolution in a timely manner. Everyone deserves good quality Verizon service no matter where they live.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trek83 View Post
    Is this area of poor coverage universal for all carriers ?
    No. Not all carriers. T-Mo has a tower visible from the house unfortunately they don’t have very good service though other places I go. AT&T service is iffy. Download speed tests all usually hit 30 Mbps however 7 out of 10 times the upload portion fails.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    Is there fiber in the area? They might rather put up a couple of small cells in the development.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    I believe their is fiber nearby. Xfinity is the primary provider and they do offer gigabit internet service. Ironically Verizon does have FIOS nearby (within 1/2 mile) but didn’t expand into any of the newly built subdivisions. It really makes no sense. Just by laying 2 more miles of fiber they could hit all 3 of the new subdivisions and have access to 400 or so potential new subscribers.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Totally agree. Small cells sound like the perfect solution in this scenario. If there isn’t fiber run in the area they could use other backhaul means from cable providers if it’s more cost effective then running it themselves.
    The only issue is that all the new subdivisions have all the wires buried so no telephone poles are available.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Exactly. T-Mobile doesn’t own most of their towers. When they went through that expansion several years ago, they just leased space on towers where Verizon and AT&T already had service.

Despite what their marketing says, T-Mobile is still nowhere close to Verizon or AT&T in terms of coverage or infrastructure.
    The T-Mo tower near me is owned by Crown Castle. T-Mo is the only tenant of the tower.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I agree. Hopefully whichever way this plays out the OP and the rest of the residents in the affected area get a satisfactory resolution in a timely manner. Everyone deserves good quality Verizon service no matter where they live.
    When I never got a response I reached out over chat for an update. They said the ticket was closed and it was just a poor coverage area. Their solution is to get a network extender or use WiFi calling. I’m not opposed to that completely I just don’t want to have to walk outside to make a call if their is some kind of power failure.

On a side note I don’t know how much info the rep had access to but according to her their have been multiple reports and network tickets filed over coverage in the area and Verizon was just in the area within the last week to repair a cut fiber line.

From what I have seen getting a place to build the tower and getting approval from the local government is not an issue at all. The area already has fiber backhaul to the best of my knowledge. The only hold up would be for Verizon to actually decide to add another tower.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    The way this used to work, in general, Verizon splits the country up into like something like 5-8 regions; when Verizon Wireless formed from Bell Atlantic, Airtouch, and Primeco, some executives from each became regional executives in their given areas (and for a later example, a big chunk of the west is probably ex-Alltel executives.) Each region would get some budget to work with, and each region would spend it as they see fit. One region could favor spending the vast majority on existing coverage (i.e. refitting and upgrading existing sites, and in more recent times by adding microcells to densify) while the next region may favor popping in new sites as soon as a subdivision is being built, but then have somewhat less to spend on existing coverage (so somewhat lower average speeds.)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    The only issue is that all the new subdivisions have all the wires buried so no telephone poles are available.

Not even street lights on the corners or lamp posts?

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Not even street lights on the corners or lamp posts?
    Not in the subdivision. The road directly behind the property has power poles. But the second you turn into the subdivision. No poles what so ever.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3